Where now

I honestly don't have a problem with a defensive manager and a defensive set-up. The problem I have is our attacking play. What is our pattern of play? Do we even have one? To me, it looks like Rowett likes to set us up to keep it tight, avoid mistakes and then almost let the attacking players be free do their thing or try to nick a goal at a set-piece, which I suspect is our main idea. There seems to be no cohesive attacking direction.

For example, Tottenham either play on the counter-attack with two wide players and Kane, win the ball and move it quickly to catch out the opposition or try to dominate the ball and move their wing-backs really high up and outnumber the opposition. Man City have scored a load of goals by keeping possession, moving the ball quickly and then wide and cutting it back to players. The number of goals they score at the back post from low crosses is incredibly high. Liverpool have three forwards who play within the width of the 18 yard box, the full-backs act as wingers so they attack with five and then try to exploit the spaces with quick passing. I know these are three elite teams, but they have a definitive way of playing.

If we cross the ball into the box then we need at least three players inside the box with a couple on the edge of the area. One near post, one far post, one on the penalty spot and two outside the area basically on the D. One of these players can attack the area from deep which is very useful as it's harder to mark. Tim Cahill scored many goals this way. If you put in ten crosses in a game of whatever quality, at some point the ball will fall to one of those players for an attempt at goal. An example of this is the third goal v Coventry. The ball was played in, we had four or five players in the box, Afobe took a touch and Saville shot and scored. That isn't actual rocket science.

We are never going to be a team that passes the other to death, we don't have the players or the manager inclined to do it. What I would like to see is more intent when we do attack. Not banzai, stupid, reckless attacking. Just a plan or idea or philosophy to score goals. Whatever we are doing right now is not working.
George Graham built his teams from the back and went into games determined not to concede but he also had an attacking strategy. From the last few defeats GR has berated the players and they were also arguing with each other all of which leads me to believe me that we are coming to a critical point and irrelevant of what we the fans think JB may be forced into action.

The thing I can't work out is this appears to have happened at GR's other clubs and yet still he sticks to plan A with no Plan B.

I hope he can turn it around but for us relegation to League One would be a catastrophic disaster.

Conversation in the dugout must go something like:
GR "We are struggling to create anything in the final third, what should we do?"
AB "No idea boss I was a full back in my playing days, just like you Gov, ask Robbo"
PR (Shrugs shoulders) " I never went passed the half way line when I played! What about the bloke with the beard who prats about with the tablet?
Bearded bloke " Sorry, nothing from me,
I've never kicked a ball in my life, shall we just lump it and hope to get a corner?"
GR " Yeah, let's do that, fuck it!"
🤣🙈

Unfortunately, as has been said many times on here, if JB sacked Rowett, who would be his replacement?

All of the best managers are in work, and those that are not, the likes of Parker, Dyche etc. will wait until a Prem job becomes available.

We’re not going to prize away any half decent manager from the Championship, so that only leaves a potential up and coming manager from either league 1 or league 2!

Is anyone on here aware of any managers that might fit the bill?

Unfortunately, as has been said many times on here, if JB sacked Rowett, who would be his replacement?

All of the best managers are in work, and those that are not, the likes of Parker, Dyche etc. will wait until a Prem job becomes available.

We’re not going to prize away any half decent manager from the Championship, so that only leaves a potential up and coming manager from either league 1 or league 2!

Is anyone on here aware of any managers that might fit the bill?
I believe one Mick McCarthy is available!
Sorry, only joking. I'll get me coat!

Or, how about the bloke who recently walked away from Huddersfield, Carlos Carbiera. One of Bielsa's disciples.
Or, wait a bit for Steve Cooer to get the boot from Forest!
Or, Moro, surely due to leave Cardiff before long.
Plenty of choices. IF required.
But we must all hope that G.R. can turn it around. Think Berylson might walk away if we got relegated.
COYL.

I honestly don't have a problem with a defensive manager and a defensive set-up. The problem I have is our attacking play. What is our pattern of play? Do we even have one? To me, it looks like Rowett likes to set us up to keep it tight, avoid mistakes and then almost let the attacking players be free do their thing or try to nick a goal at a set-piece, which I suspect is our main idea. There seems to be no cohesive attacking direction.

For example, Tottenham either play on the counter-attack with two wide players and Kane, win the ball and move it quickly to catch out the opposition or try to dominate the ball and move their wing-backs really high up and outnumber the opposition. Man City have scored a load of goals by keeping possession, moving the ball quickly and then wide and cutting it back to players. The number of goals they score at the back post from low crosses is incredibly high. Liverpool have three forwards who play within the width of the 18 yard box, the full-backs act as wingers so they attack with five and then try to exploit the spaces with quick passing. I know these are three elite teams, but they have a definitive way of playing.

If we cross the ball into the box then we need at least three players inside the box with a couple on the edge of the area. One near post, one far post, one on the penalty spot and two outside the area basically on the D. One of these players can attack the area from deep which is very useful as it's harder to mark. Tim Cahill scored many goals this way. If you put in ten crosses in a game of whatever quality, at some point the ball will fall to one of those players for an attempt at goal. An example of this is the third goal v Coventry. The ball was played in, we had four or five players in the box, Afobe took a touch and Saville shot and scored. That isn't actual rocket science.

We are never going to be a team that passes the other to death, we don't have the players or the manager inclined to do it. What I would like to see is more intent when we do attack. Not banzai, stupid, reckless attacking. Just a plan or idea or philosophy to score goals. Whatever we are doing right now is not working.
I thought the idea of signing Flemming and Honeyman was to make us more creative and make chances for the strikers. I think the players we now have available could suit a 433 formation.

Bart
Mac Hutch Cooper Murray
Shack Honeyman Saville
Afobe Flemming The German

Flemming could play slightly deeper and Afobe will score goals with a regular partner up front.
Keep this side together for a few games to give them time to gel

Yes, we need a back 4 with 5 in the middle, Shackleton in my eyes is class but needs class around him. We need to be able to create triangles with players 10 yards or so apart not next to each other that’s easy to defend. And move to find space, like rodriguez did last night he was class.or dribble through our statues like benson did, another class act.we have the players for midfield just not the right application.
“Create triangles”! They didn’t study trigonometry at school. ! 😂

still think the team are gelling
Agreed, also think a bit of perspective is needed. Just played and lost to the top three. Reading was a poor result and performance, no getting away from that, the ref didn't help either. but we need a bit more clever. No way does a settled team lose that game. We can bring in a new manager, he'll have been out of work for a reason and will face the same issues, limited abiliability squad mixed with journeymen and a few potential decent ones.

Wallace leaving has laid bare what i believe all of us already knew. We're a mixed bag of fighters and the odd few who are great on there day, those days only happen a few times a season and not all at once. Frustrating i know and i have no answers other than some absolute loon with a fuckton of money turns up and gambles our entire future in the hope we get our day in the sun.

Modern football is a cunt, i hate every facet of it, that is, apart from us. Hope we can all keep the faith, be patient, stick together and get behind the team, they need us more tha ever.

Fuck em all.

Agreed, also think a bit of perspective is needed. Just played and lost to the top three. Reading was a poor result and performance, no getting away from that, the ref didn't help either. but we need a bit more clever. No way does a settled team lose that game. We can bring in a new manager, he'll have been out of work for a reason and will face the same issues, limited abiliability squad mixed with journeymen and a few potential decent ones.

Wallace leaving has laid bare what i believe all of us already knew. We're a mixed bag of fighters and the odd few who are great on there day, those days only happen a few times a season and not all at once. Frustrating i know and i have no answers other than some absolute loon with a fuckton of money turns up and gambles our entire future in the hope we get our day in the sun.

Modern football is a cunt, i hate every facet of it, that is, apart from us. Hope we can all keep the faith, be patient, stick together and get behind the team, they need us more tha ever.

Fuck em all.
All opinions tallied and aside, that's the reality of the situation.

Fuck em all.
Top post.

All opinions tallied and aside, that's the reality of the situation.
That's how i see it mate, wouldn't be Millwall if everything was rosey and easy! This period is just another episode in the rollercoaster love/ hate/ up and down relationship that we have with our wonderful little club. Only a few weeks back we were in heaven with that comeback against Coventry, now we;re debating relegation, sack or stick, etc. It's never boring, is it!

That's how i see it mate, wouldn't be Millwall if everything was rosey and easy! This period is just another episode in the rollercoaster love/ hate/ up and down relationship that we have with our wonderful little club. Only a few weeks back we were in heaven with that comeback against Coventry, now we;re debating relegation, sack or stick, etc. It's never boring, is it!
Yeah I reckon that if things were the absolute reverse, fair few of my fellow Americnts would be trading in their Spurs and ManUre etc.. strips for our own (probably that fucking yellow away one!). Not that I don't want us to be as successful as possible, but it adds balance riding the proverbial wave that is Millwall.. Keeps us fucking honest.. I ain't going to moan this season unless it's cause the missus keeping me occupied at the half. 😁

Fuck em all.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one mate. To be fair this place hasn’t been that bad, there has been some good posts since the other night with some interesting takes on formations and where we can improve. I think deep down most of us know the reality of where we are as a club and anyone that thinks that we can simply afford to pay Rowett off and bring in someone like Dyche with a potential premier league budget to match is living in a dream world.

It’s Twitter and Facebook where some of the real deluded lunatics among our support gather. Some of the hysterical stuff I see on there is enough to question why the fuck I bother associating myself with these fuckwits, people thinking that we should be signing every Tom, Dick and Harry and demanding a new manager every six weeks. Seeing bods turn on Danny Mac was a particularly low point.

You know what I miss? The days of walking out of The Den and saying to the geezer next to you ‘well that was a load of shit weren’t it?’ then getting down the boozer and forgetting all about it til next week. Let’s face it we’ve always been shit and probably always will be but every now and then we’ll give someone a bloody nose and that’s what we live for.

Fuck ‘em all indeed.

You know what I miss? The days of walking out of The Den and saying to the geezer next to you ‘well that was a load of shit weren’t it?’ then getting down the boozer and forgetting all about it til next week. Let’s face it we’ve always been shit and probably always will be but every now and then we’ll give someone a bloody nose and that’s what we live for.

Fuck ‘em all indeed.
Exactly what we did last Saturday

Thankyou mate. How i see it and just trying to keep a positive view of things.
Way I see it too, apart from management. I think our next appointment should be a young manager with new ideas and vision. An Eddie Howe type character, someone who will try something innovative and exciting. Someone with exciting set piece ideas that make you get off your seat and say wow. Ok I’m dreaming.