What Joe learnt tonight

Did you say this is our relegation season?. If it is and we build and play like Ipswich, we could be in their position in 2 years playing non lucky, non boring football.
Or we could find ourselves stuck in D1 for a good few seasons - like Ipswich, Wednesday, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton and Derby - with greatly reduced revenue as a result.

Whatever the question is, relegation is not the answer.

He's realised we are seriously in the shit, simply not good enough and this could be our relegation season.
What is the difference with the team that just missed the top six to the side now that is all of a sudden potential relegation material?

You can talk about changing philosophies all day long but you have to work with the players you have and get the best out of them and if that means compromising on your beliefs then so be it because at the end of the day it's results that matter.
There was some of us trying to explain this to people screaming for Rowetts head that there is a good reason why we were set up as we were and played the way we did. He alluded to it a few times himself. We didn't have six jeds that can all play on the front foot and help us control games. We had neither the players nor players equipped with the pace to make it work or be able to sustain it. Our away results after being shit for years improved quite dramatically with Rowett because we're more equipped suited to the counter attack. It doesn't require ball retention which we struggle with.

Yes Rowett had his limitations but so does this squad and he knew that. Edwards is about to find that out if he doesn't already know it. It will be one of the toughest decisions he'll have to make. Does he believe that he can get them playing his way and persist with trying to implement that? Or does he take a pragmatic approach, possibly go against his ethos and play the team to there strengths as Rowett did which means more of the same? Unless he's backed in January or can get in enough loans i can't see much changing on the pitch. But most of knew that when Rowett was being slaughtered on the touchlines.

He needs to be given time, we are getting thumped most weeks, I see no point in JE keeping with the same old players.
Its time for a bit of youth and pace, Emakhu, Malaki, Esse, Abdulmalik, Leahy need to be in and around the starting line up NOW!

bit baffling JE not using Esse, he's the one player he knows??

I think people calling for his head already and bigging up rowett are abit thick to be perfectly honest.
We have to remember that this is rowett's squad. He put this shit show together and drained the life out of the lot of them. Yes Edwards has had a rocky start but this ain't he's squad so he can only work with what he's got (which was rowetts). playing dogshit football has been installed into them for the past 4 years!!! You really think that it is going to change over night just because we now have a different gaffer in with fresh ideas? No, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid and we don't have the budget to just go and buy 5 or 6 championship quality players.
Give the guy a break ffs! He will need a good season and 2 transfer windows before he can get his style across. Until then people just need to stop moaning and go with the flow.

I get what JE said about us not doing the basics etc. He also said he spoke to the team about exactly what to expect from Ipswich and despite this we gave an insipid, meek and passive performance like that.

So did the players not listen? Was the messaging to the players not right? Or both? Why did they not do the basics? If this team has been able to excel at anything at all then it has been just that.

Edwards needs to be given a chance but the last two performances are really worrying. I have my concerns about him. You can talk about changing philosophies all day long but you have to work with the players you have and get the best out of them and if that means compromising on your beliefs then so be it because at the end of the day it's results that matter. We are 19th in the league. He needs a result on Saturday and a better performance.
His trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and it's not even look.like happening , when we cannot do the basics right like passing a short ball to a team mate or moving to create space then tippy tappy football is anon starter....need an injection of young blood and a CF to feed off

He needs to be given time, we are getting thumped most weeks, I see no point in JE keeping with the same old players.
Its time for a bit of youth and pace, Emakhu, Malaki, Esse, Abdulmalik, Leahy need to be in and around the starting line up NOW!

bit baffling JE not using Esse, he's the one player he knows??
Perhaps he is saving Esse from untold abuse if he isn't the Messiah.

A lot of what is happening has been like this for quite a while. Tail end of last season and all this season. It's not just under Edwards. We'd already conceded 3 or more 4 times before he was even here. It's nothing new.
Also, when a Rowett team struggled people were saying oh but these are Harris players. Even after nearly 4 years. Yet after 3 games this is all down to Edwards?
People seem to have quickly forgotten we've had 4 years of mostly being bored shitless. The times of having our first shot, on or off target, in the 80th minute. The games where we set up at home to hope to scrape a draw against the mighty Rotherham. The runs of 3 wins in 20 games etc.
This will take time to get the players to play a different way. It ain't gonna happen overnight.

I think anyone saying this is Rowetts squad is a bit thick to be honest. What we have to remember is this isn't Just Rowetts squad. At one point last night six of our players out on the pitch were signed by Harris. There was five Harris signings in nearly every line up last season, sometimes six.

I think anyone saying this is Rowetts squad is a bit thick to be honest. What we have to remember is this isn't Just Rowetts squad. At one point last night six of our players out on the pitch were signed by Harris. There was five Harris signings in nearly every line up last season, sometimes six.
After 4 years it's still Harris fault? Why didn't Rowett sign better players and replace them then? I mean just look at all the good players he did sign like... erm, erm. De Norre maybe, time will tell, Flemming before his head got turned. 6 transfer windows with the biggest budget anyone manager has ever had and that's his legacy?

Anyone calling for Edwards' head now has clearly lost their own. Imo any appraisal of him should be delayed until, at least, this time next year unless either (1) we are relegated and/or (2) he starts to act and manage like Hollowhead.

I didn't think that there was much possibility of us ever either going up or down under Rowett, even allowing for last season's play-off near miss. However, I get the feeling that either is possible this season under Edwards. Get 2 or 3 players in January who can implement his brand of football and get the likes of De Norre, Esse, Emarku, Fleming and Nisbit playing well together and who knows; maybe a place in the play-off lottery is possible? On the other hand, get in 2 or 3 duds, continue trying to get our existing players to do things which they are incapable of doing, and we could easily find ourselves in the bottom 3. If we are sitting 11th - 13th next Easter with nothing to play for, then that we do me this season.

Anyone calling for Edwards' head now has clearly lost their own. Imo any appraisal of him should be delayed until, at least, this time next year unless either (1) we are relegated and/or (2) he starts to act and manage like Hollowhead.

I didn't think that there was much possibility of us ever either going up or down under Rowett, even allowing for last season's play-off near miss. However, I get the feeling that either is possible this season under Edwards. Get 2 or 3 players in January who can implement his brand of football and get the likes of De Norre, Esse, Emarku, Fleming and Nisbit playing well together and who knows; maybe a place in the play-off lottery is possible? On the other hand, get in 2 or 3 duds, continue trying to get our existing players to do things which they are incapable of doing, and we could easily find ourselves in the bottom 3. If we are sitting 11th - 13th next Easter with nothing to play for, then that we do me this season.

We’ve been told not to expect much in this January transfer window, and it’s very likely any incoming players will be loans - but in the long run, isn’t this being a bit short sighted?

A case in point was Rowett, who did wonders for the likes of Ballard and Cresswell, and they went back to their parent clubs as better players who we then couldn’t afford to buy, so we ended up back at square one, starting a new season once more with Hutch and Coops at CH, but with both players now a year older and slower, and in Hutch’s case, more injury prone!

Wouldn’t it be better for Edwards to sign in January permanent unwanted and/or upcoming youngsters (and not just in the centre half positions if possible), from the Championship downwards who can play the way he wants the team to play? Yes, player prices are ridiculously inflated in this window (from any division), but if he can unearth and buy a few diamonds in the rough that do stave off relegation, we’d have some new players going into the start of the 2024/2025 season already successful in playing the Edwards way!
Just my opinion.

After 4 years it's still Harris fault?
Not in my opinion and never said it was. People are saying it's Rowetts squad and blaming him for the last two shit performances. I'm just setting things straight by pointing out that Rowetts squad and starting eleven wasn't all his acquisitions but those of the manager before him.

This forum is a bit shit at times now. Another example to go with the bollox above. Posters are now being classed as being a bit thick for stating facts or telling the truth about about a previous manager.

People seem to have quickly forgotten
There is a lot of memory loss going on for sure. They've forgot that the team who finished 21st the season prior to his arrrival managed to finish eighth the following season under his guidance.

The runs of 3 wins in 20 games etc.
When was that? In one season or are we rolling over to the next as well?

It seems with these type of debates that the victories, unbeaten runs, time spent in the top six, missing out on play off spots because of a bonkers 45 minutes is all either a fluke, down to a previous manager or it's just completely overlooked/ forgotten because it doesn't fit the narrative and or tally with the facts. We had two top eight finishes under Rowett with a limited squad and all you want to remember and dig up is when we had a poor run.

When wasn't the football turgid and shit? Once in a blue moon every 10/15 year? The last two managers to bring a bit of stability and cheer have been hounded out by sections of our support. Edwards will go the same way. It's no surprise that much of our long term supporters are binning it off. It's not because the quality of football is shit and boring, they're seasoned to that. It's because they can no longer relate to or stomach the absolute cunts that have latched onto us.

Not in my opinion and never said it was. People are saying it's Rowetts squad and blaming him for the last two shit performances. I'm just setting things straight by pointing out that Rowetts squad and starting eleven wasn't all his acquisitions but those of the manager before him.

This forum is a bit shit at times now. Another example to go with the bollox above. Posters are now being classed as being a bit thick for stating facts or telling the truth about about a previous manager.

There is a lot of memory loss going on for sure. They've forgot that the team who finished 21st the season prior to his arrrival managed to finish eighth the following season under his guidance.

When was that? In one season or are we rolling over to the next as well?

It seems with these type of debates that the victories, unbeaten runs, time spent in the top six, missing out on play off spots because of a bonkers 45 minutes is all either a fluke, down to a previous manager or it's just completely overlooked/ forgotten because it doesn't fit the narrative and or tally with the facts. We had two top eight finishes under Rowett with a limited squad and all you want to remember and dig up is when we had a poor run.

When wasn't the football turgid and shit? Once in a blue moon every 10/15 year? The last two managers to bring a bit of stability and cheer have been hounded out by sections of our support. Edwards will go the same way. It's no surprise that much of our long term supporters are binning it off. It's not because the quality of football is shit and boring, they're seasoned to that. It's because they can no longer relate to or stomach the absolute cunts that have latched onto us.
Agree with most of that, the expectation based on , in reality pretty successful bygone seasons ( no matter the style of football), means sections of the attendees have heightened demands, when it doesn't materialise people throw their toys out of the pram.
Having said that, of late our defence has been second rate.. and we never look like scoring ( parking the shef we game)
As has been said many times previously, its the hope that gets you..
Yl

We’ve been told not to expect much in this January transfer window, and it’s very likely any incoming players will be loans - but in the long run, isn’t this being a bit short sighted?

A case in point was Rowett, who did wonders for the likes of Ballard and Cresswell, and they went back to their parent clubs as better players who we then couldn’t afford to buy, so we ended up back at square one.
This is what I found very strange regarding Centre halfs. The last 2 seasons we brought 2 bright prospects on loan to help an ageing defence. This season no young prospect ever signed permanently or on loan, resulting in the ageing defence being 2 years older with lack of pace to match.

Still maintain Jake would have got to at least 1 of their high balls resulting in goals and blocking shots, giving Hutch straight in start to a top of the table team was asking for trouble. Dont get me wrong Joe is on a learning curve and want him to succeed.

A case in point was Rowett, who did wonders for the likes of Ballard and Cresswell, and they went back to their parent clubs as better players who we then couldn’t afford to buy, so we ended up back at square one, starting a new season once more with Hutch and Coops at CH, but with both players now a year older and slower, and in Hutch’s case, more injury prone!

Wouldn’t it be better for Edwards to sign in January permanent unwanted and/or upcoming youngsters (and not just in the centre half positions if possible), from the Championship downwards who can play the way he wants the team to play? Yes, player prices are ridiculously inflated in this window (from any division), but if he can unearth and buy a few diamonds in the rough that do stave off relegation, we’d have some new players going into the start of the 2024/2025 season already successful in playing the Edwards way!
Just my opinion.
We've been warned that there won't be much movement in January, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a couple in and possibly a couple out (possibly all loans).

I think that loans have their place for most clubs. There's only a few mega rich clubs who can afford to load their benches with £30m+ players, and then write them off as bad debts if they no longer fancy them.

You're right it is frustrating when the likes of Ballard and Cresswell go back to their parent clubs but not all loans are successful. For example, it was bad enough being stuck with Zohore and Freeman on loan for (half a?) season; the idea that they could have been on 3-year contracts doesn't bear thinking about.

We've been warned that there won't be much movement in January, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a couple in and possibly a couple out (possibly all loans).

I think that loans have their place for most clubs. There's only a few mega rich clubs who can afford to load their benches with £30m+ players, and then write them off as bad debts if they no longer fancy them.

You're right it is frustrating when the likes of Ballard and Cresswell go back to their parent clubs but not all loans are successful. For example, it was bad enough being stuck with Zohore and Freeman on loan for (half a?) season; the idea that they could have been on 3-year contracts doesn't bear thinking about.
Freeman made such an impact that I don’t even remember who he is or where he from.