What Joe learnt tonight

Looking at the way Ipwich play, not many of their players try to run more than a few yards with the ball before passing. First touch and movement. I can see what JE is trying but we are slow to apply it to any effect in a game.

They could easily move the ball to midway on the wings and bypass the press formation to attack, at will for the first 25 mins. Thought our defence took too long to stabilise, midfield chasing shadows, Emak wasted in his position, Bradshaw and Flemming ineffective. Work in progress but fuck me, utter shambles first half.

He's realised we are seriously in the shit, simply not good enough and this could be our relegation season.

Casper? Nisbet? Campbell? Couple more
No! No! No! Sorry can't agree. None of 'em are Championships standard.. Except Harding and maybe Leonard.
Players not the only problem! Team selection, tippy-tappy playing style, one-up forward line, no close marking. we were double lucky it was only 3-1tonight. The Table doesn't lie. We have to feel for those who travelled there.

No! No! No! Sorry can't agree. None of 'em are Championships standard.. Except Harding and maybe Leonard.
Players not the only problem! Team selection, tippy-tappy playing style, one-up forward line, no close marking. we were double lucky it was only 3-1tonight. The Table doesn't lie. We have to feel for those who travelled there.
What I like about our forum. We all have our opinion. We could never all agree. Tonight’s game will split opinions, trust me.

I think The Championship is a yard quicker than last season, it's a young man's league, players the wrong side of 30 will struggle (Which is most of our defence)

You mean the Harding that’s played in previous games not the Harding that played tonight

I think the friendly against the trainspotters was an indication of the squad this year, we made them look like Barcelona ffs. Same and tonight in the first half. All is not lost but, if we keep leaking goals for fun then the crowd is going to get involved and give it. Jury very much out on JE.

Did you say this is our relegation season?. If it is and we build and play like Ipswich, we could be in their position in 2 years playing non lucky, non boring football.
Yes I know I said that, but can you ever see us playing like Ipswich and achieving anything like their standard? A relegation would be a disaster for our club and we would struggle to come back up. Onwards and upwards, massive changes required.

I get what JE said about us not doing the basics etc. He also said he spoke to the team about exactly what to expect from Ipswich and despite this we gave an insipid, meek and passive performance like that.

So did the players not listen? Was the messaging to the players not right? Or both? Why did they not do the basics? If this team has been able to excel at anything at all then it has been just that.

Edwards needs to be given a chance but the last two performances are really worrying. I have my concerns about him. You can talk about changing philosophies all day long but you have to work with the players you have and get the best out of them and if that means compromising on your beliefs then so be it because at the end of the day it's results that matter. We are 19th in the league. He needs a result on Saturday and a better performance.

After Sheffield Wednesday, for some, Edwards was the greatest thing since sliced bread 👍

After Coventry and Ipswich he should be shown the door 🤷‍♂️

After the disappointing end to the last campaign, at start of the season many said give GR ten games before making a decision.

If we were prepared to give GR, who knew and recruited most of the players, ten games surely we should show similar patience with Edwards.

Give him time to see what the players are capable of and apply his talents before making snap judgements.

Last edited: