Wall v Wigan match thread

Cheers mate, weren't many down there today which i expected. Was going to meet up with B. but he's fighting off some bug. Will make sure B does the Bristol game and we'll meet up for p&m or pub before hand! You didn't miss nothing mate, again, as expected it was grim and a chore. Least we never lost!
Nice one P look forward to it

He anticipated the shot instead of reacting to the shot, which is why he went down far too early and left his goal exposed.
At the time the ball hit their player it had travelled halfway to the goal. Are you saying he should have waited until the ball had gone past the player before moving, in effect, halving his time to react? 🤷‍♂️

Look at Pickford last night, unsighted, moves late and a shot he would expect to save goes in. If Long hadn’t anticipated and the ball hadn’t hit their player it might have been too late for him to react and you’ll be slating him for not reacting quick enough 🤷‍♂️

At the time the ball hit their player it had travelled halfway to the goal. Are you saying he should have waited until the ball had gone past the player before moving, in effect, halving his time to react? 🤷‍♂️

Look at Pickford last night, unsighted, moves late and a shot he would expect to save goes in. If Long hadn’t anticipated and the ball hadn’t hit their player it might have been too late for him to react and you’ll be slating him for not reacting quick enough 🤷‍♂️
Watch how many times he ends up on his arse and gets nowhere near as the ball enters the net, because he is on the wrong foot having anticipated (guessed) where the ball will go.

Up until GR made his substitutions I felt we won win but taking Bennett and Vogl off blunted the team and from that moment they dominated.

I would have taken off Saville and replaced him with Evans who strikes me as the only play we have who is capable of hitting a penetrating pass to create something.

Bringing Burey on is tantamount to reducing us to 10 men!

Watch how many times he ends up on his arse and gets nowhere near as the ball enters the net, because he is on the wrong foot having anticipated (guessed) where the ball will go.
Yesterday he knew where the ball was going but it deflected off their player.

Players can control many things but not deflections!

Long made a smart stop early on in the game to prevent Wigan from taking an even earlier lead, again that situation came from some really poor defending. We weren’t so lucky a little bit later, and in my opinion Long couldn’t do much about it.

I keep reading that we need to be looking at changing things around up front and while that may be true our defence is becoming just as pressing issue. I think we have to accept that the Cooper/Hutch partnership is reaching a natural end, both have been fantastic players for us but their distribution a lot of the time is mostly awful. I lost count the amount of times they (Cooper especially) needlessly spooned the ball out of play or straight to the opposition. As for Murray Wallace I simply don’t know what the fuck is going on with him.

I wouldn’t be entirely gutted to see Cooper sold in January while surely Hutch is coming to the end of his time as a championship player and we know Cresswell isn’t the answer. We will need a couple of modern ball playing CBs in the not too distant future.

Very disappointing game to watch. Once again we make our opposition look like they have an extra man on the pitch. Yet somehow we managed to carve out the best of chances. As others have said one up front doesn't work for us, Bradshaw could not have worked harder.

What I find most frustrating is we make the same mistakes game after game. Our defenders heading the ball always seem to aim at opposition players, how hard can it be to head in the general direction of one our OUR players. Lumping the ball forward to Bradshaw, he's not tall and he's surrounded by giants. He tried his best but how can they not see it's futile and try something else.

Subs were a bit bizarre. Wallace was not on his game and got a silly yellow early, Malone should have replaced him. I've been an advocate of Burey but his performance yesterday was so poor. Didn't seem to want to get involved, which is so sad given his talent. Stomped straight off after the whistle, very poor show in my opinon.

What about the rest being “a player or two with some spark and creativity about them”? Not the Wall spirit we expect! :wagging:

Just my opinion....
"in the final third...." We still need goals.

After 55 odd years of supporting the Lions, I've got plenty of 'Wall spirit.
No worries on that front.

:thumbup:

I keep reading that we need to be looking at changing things around up front and while that may be true our defence is becoming just as pressing issue. I think we have to accept that the Cooper/Hutch partnership is reaching a natural end, both have been fantastic players for us but their distribution a lot of the time is mostly awful. I lost count the amount of times they (Cooper especially) needlessly spooned the ball out of play or straight to the opposition.
Agree with you about both players distribution, but Cooper is 27 and Hutch is 32. Are they really too old to be playing centre halves? We know Cooper plays better alongside Hutch, but are there any early 20’s centre half players out there that won’t cost us an arm or a leg, and have the potential to be as good as Cooper and Hutch were, when they first came to us?

Don’t know if we were given first refusal to buy Ballard, but he went for a reported £2M to Sunderland, so if that’s the going rate for unwanted Prem players, we have no chance. It just means we have to look down the leagues to find a couple of rough diamonds, but will they be able to make the step up to the cut and thrust of the Championship?

Two serious (not sarky) questions! To save money, wouldn’t it be better to stop loaning out our youth players and start blooding them in certain games (perhaps when we reach the safe 50 point in the season), rather than going after players we cannot afford? Or could the coaching staff actually start noticing how bad our 2 CH’s distribution really is, and work on them to improve it on the training ground?
As for Murray Wallace I simply don’t know what the fuck is going on with him.
Its the curse of the POTY award. Bart wins it - he’s dropped! Wallace wins it, and his game goes to pieces! ;)
I wouldn’t be entirely gutted to see Cooper sold in January while surely Hutch is coming to the end of his time as a championship player and we know Cresswell isn’t the answer. We will need a couple of modern ball playing CBs in the not too distant future.
See my points above!