Wall living in the EU

There’s still this misconception that France is way behind the U.K. economically.Not true, higher gdp and greater income per head. Don’t be misled by the shambles around the big cities. France is a good place if you’re not poor. And they value the better things in life higher than the average Brit.
C’est la vie

I've been in Spain over 20 years and my Spanish is shocking, hats off to you two gentlemen
This big difference is that the Spanish are mostly able to speak English while the French can’t be arsed (fair play, why should they) I’m off to France for a few days next week so will have to try and remember my basic O level French (which I failed badly)

I've been in Spain over 20 years and my Spanish is shocking, hats off to you two gentlemen
As Onlyagame infers, it depends on circumstances and location. When I first arrived in Brussels, I tried out my 'O' level French at the bakers, "Je prendrai un croissant et une baguette s'il vous plaît". I was greeted with the reply, "Would it be easier if we spoke English?" delivered in perfect English. Probably took me 5+ years to feel confident conversing in (far from perfect) French. I still often receive replies in English!🤷