To Hull and (just) back

Ilderton Wanderer

Defeat. Despite having more than our fair share of possession and shots on goal we just couldn’t find that all too elusive final touch in the last third that would have earned us a precious point or three.

Hull began confidently while we made our familiar slow start. They moved the ball around quickly and showed that they could pose a threat despite not really troubling Long in goal. After around 20 minutes we began to grow into the game, Billy and Saville were industrious while Burke started to show just how effective he can be with some direct running and started to cause their defence problems. Burke done well to set up a shot for Mitchell who’s effort flew over the bar, then Burke himself had a chance after good work from Bradshaw but the Hull keeper Darlow kept it out. More about him later.

It was after the half hour mark that we produced a wonderful passage of play that really deserved a goal. I think it began with Saville playing a fine ball inside to Burke who took off leaving his marker for dead. The ball was played across the Hull back line with some intelligent play from Honeyman and Flemming who crossed perfectly for the oncoming Burke who’s first time shot cannoned off the underside of the bar and the wrong side of the line. So close but not close enough. One more chance before half time fell the way of Danny Mac who fired over from the edge of the box.

Nil nil at half time and it loooked like we could definitely go on and take the points. Hull had other ideas and made three changes and it was one of them, Traore that proved to be the difference. After a warning shot from Longman 10 minutes into the second half and shortly after Rowett introduced Esse the tricky Traore picked up the ball and after our defenders backed off slightly he made enough space to fire off a good shot which skipped off the wet surface and past the outstretched Long. One nil to the hosts.

We then as you would expect began to throw the kitchen sink in search of an equaliser but Darlow was in fine form. He made a good stop from Bradshaw and the rebound fell to Mitchell whose shot went agonisingly just wide. Volgsamner and Watmore came on and the former had a decent half volley kept out by Darlow. Esse at this point really began to cause big problems for the Hull defence and showed some real flashes of quality. There was still time for Darlow to again deny Flemming with a fine one handed stop and despite seven minutes of added time we huffed and puffed but just couldn’t blow the Hull house down.

So all in all not a bad performance but at this stage of the season it’s points we desperately need. If I have one criticism it’s that we never seem to show much urgency in the first 20 minutes or so in matches, we then inevitably end up running round like blue arsed flies in the final 10 trying to score. It goes without saying that we need to start winning games again, starting next week against the in form Preston. As for individual performances no one in particular had a bad game, Burke had his best showing since returning and it was nice to see Billy back out there. Saville was full of running but faded slightly on the second half while the two CBs will probably be disappointed with the winning goal. Esse showed why he is knocking on the door of a starting place, hopefully this coming Saturday. A long trip for the 900 lions but keep the faith chaps, incredibly we are still in the hunt despite our recent patchy form, although we really need to take advantage of these two upcoming home games.

Would like to see Bart back in goal, Long spent all afternoon kicking the ball to the oppo and his reactions to long range shots are questionable.

Yeah, apart from the 14 goals we've scored in the first 25 minutes of games this season!

Im basing it on the last few games I’ve watched. Players letting the ball run out of play, slow taking throw ins and free kicks. How many of them games when we’ve scored early did we go on to win? I’d say all of them which kind of backs up my point, we need to get on the front foot early and if we can nick the first goal we usually take the points.

Defeat. Despite having more than our fair share of possession and shots on goal we just couldn’t find that all too elusive final touch in the last third that would have earned us a precious point or three.

Hull began confidently while we made our familiar slow start. They moved the ball around quickly and showed that they could pose a threat despite not really troubling Long in goal. After around 20 minutes we began to grow into the game, Billy and Saville were industrious while Burke started to show just how effective he can be with some direct running and started to cause their defence problems. Burke done well to set up a shot for Mitchell who’s effort flew over the bar, then Burke himself had a chance after good work from Bradshaw but the Hull keeper Darlow kept it out. More about him later.

It was after the half hour mark that we produced a wonderful passage of play that really deserved a goal. I think it began with Saville playing a fine ball inside to Burke who took off leaving his marker for dead. The ball was played across the Hull back line with some intelligent play from Honeyman and Flemming who crossed perfectly for the oncoming Burke who’s first time shot cannoned off the underside of the bar and the wrong side of the line. So close but not close enough. One more chance before half time fell the way of Danny Mac who fired over from the edge of the box.

Nil nil at half time and it loooked like we could definitely go on and take the points. Hull had other ideas and made three changes and it was one of them, Traore that proved to be the difference. After a warning shot from Longman 10 minutes into the second half and shortly after Rowett introduced Esse the tricky Traore picked up the ball and after our defenders backed off slightly he made enough space to fire off a good shot which skipped off the wet surface and past the outstretched Long. One nil to the hosts.

We then as you would expect began to throw the kitchen sink in search of an equaliser but Darlow was in fine form. He made a good stop from Bradshaw and the rebound fell to Mitchell whose shot went agonisingly just wide. Volgsamner and Watmore came on and the former had a decent half volley kept out by Darlow. Esse at this point really began to cause big problems for the Hull defence and showed some real flashes of quality. There was still time for Darlow to again deny Flemming with a fine one handed stop and despite seven minutes of added time we huffed and puffed but just couldn’t blow the Hull house down.

So all in all not a bad performance but at this stage of the season it’s points we desperately need. If I have one criticism it’s that we never seem to show much urgency in the first 20 minutes or so in matches, we then inevitably end up running round like blue arsed flies in the final 10 trying to score. It goes without saying that we need to start winning games again, starting next week against the in form Preston. As for individual performances no one in particular had a bad game, Burke had his best showing since returning and it was nice to see Billy back out there. Saville was full of running but faded slightly on the second half while the two CBs will probably be disappointed with the winning goal. Esse showed why he is knocking on the door of a starting place, hopefully this coming Saturday. A long trip for the 900 lions but keep the faith chaps, incredibly we are still in the hunt despite our recent patchy form, although we really need to take advantage of these two upcoming home games.
Good title 👏👏. Robin Hood, Robin Hood................

And ta for the report. 👊🦁🦁

yet another game we threw away by not taking our chances and letting in a soft goal, we are too predictable and to slow in our build up unless like today we go behind then it's all hands to the pump....think.Long should have done better with their goal but blame our non tackling defenders who let him get into that position, Bradshaw needs help upl front and Flemming disappointing again ...adding make things easy but let's get behind them for the PNE game and for those who were here .biggest dick of the season was the twat in the spammers shirt just hope someone gave him a clump after the game

Many thanks IW for your comprehensive Just Back. I have posted many times that it. Is always good to read the thoughts of somebody who was at the game. A mate went and said that he just could not believe that we’d lost. Twenty shots with six on target tells its own story and how the ball did not find the back of the net was a combination of good goalkeeping and bad luck. Add to that poor goalkeeping from Long. The shot was not a rocket from Rashford but a decent shot from outside the box but it wasn’t even right in the corner. I am sure that Bart would have got to it.
And so to the most important game against PNE on Saturday. Training will be all about hitting the back of the net urged on by a full house!

4-4-2 for me for these last few games, need to win them all. Either Vlog or Fleming right up alongside Bradshaw to give us a bit more physical presence up there, Esse or Burke on one wing and Watmore or Malone on the other. 0 goals in four games, not for the lack of trying yesterday I know but surely it gives us more chance of breaking the duck playing with out and out width and two strikers. I know it wont happen but thats my take on it.

Last edited:
Just a shame 2 of our shots didn't go in because I thought we controlled most of the game,it wasn't for not trying but poor finishing,although I was pissed off with us not winning ,glad I stayed to the end to clap them off

Im basing it on the last few games I’ve watched. Players letting the ball run out of play, slow taking throw ins and free kicks. How many of them games when we’ve scored early did we go on to win? I’d say all of them which kind of backs up my point, we need to get on the front foot early and if we can nick the first goal we usually take the points.
Spot on Ilderton. Bradders was screamed at to go and get the ball when it bounced off him for a goal kick to them.

Nice one IW.
Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but kept in touch with live scores and wasn't surprised at a 0-0 at H/T and strangely not unduly concerned with the final score, especially when I checked the table!.
Not going to state the obvious.

Spot on Ilderton. Bradders was screamed at to go and get the ball when it bounced off him for a goal kick to them.

I noticed it against Luton about 10-15 minutes in. The ref blew for a free kick to us in our own half and a Luton player kicked the ball away lightly and McNamara, Cooper, Hutchinson and then Long all let the ball pea roll past them while they had a inquest about something. It took one of the ball boy kids to climb over the advertising board to go and get the ball and even then no one looked in a hurry to take the kick.

Just a little bit of urgency is needed. Get on the front foot and make it difficult for the opposition, especially at home.

Thanks for the report mate. Fairplay to you and the other Wall that made the effort to go. We've been here before this season with a winless patch. This could be our longest, it certainly feels that way. Always felt with our small squad and lack of strikers that we'd come unstuck at some point towards the end of the season.

Amazingly we're still in the top six and hopefully our blip/ barren spell has come to an end. Other than Preston, the teams chasing can't seem to take advantage, Blackburn, Norwich, Sunderland and Boro have all only managed one win from thje last five. So for those looking to find fault and have a moan, perhaps it's pressure and/or fatigue that we're all suffering from.

The good thing is, it's still in our hands. Not all is lost and the fat bird ain't ready to sing just yet,

Keep the faith.

Thanks IW for the report back. I'm hoping it's deja vu with 2017 when we kept trying to drop out of the top 6 - including the last day at Bristol when we twice let 2 goal leads disappear and needed Hutch's header at the end to win - but other teams didn't take advantage of our slip ups. Ever the optimist!!