The Ryan Leonard appreciation thread

Ilderton Wanderer

Another 100% totally committed performance from Ryan Leonard last night. The fella gets battered from pillar to post every week yet still puts himself on the line, player of the season so far for me. It’s a tribute to Harris that he’s still here and playing a pivotal role in the side, Neil always was a great judge of character and spotting someone with the right attitude to play for us. It is also looking that the decision to extend his contract in the summer was the right one.

Leonard’s performances are a great example to any young player coming through and shows why having such experience in the team is absolutely vital, especially when the chips are down. I know that he has his issues with injuries but when he’s fit and on song he has to be the first name down on the team sheet. Here’s hoping he can stay fit for as long as possible because when he’s on the pitch we are a lot better for it.

I’ve been a fan of his since the beginning, even when he was getting slaughtered on this forum by some.

Only negative at present is he can’t play RB and CM at the same time 😉
Wasn’t there some sort of “Harris’s mate, cost too much” debate at the time? So I confess I wasn’t a fan of “Leonard the early years” but he won me over last season (although I think he is better in a back five)
Then again, I remember Kitchener’s debut and thought he was going to be shit as well :rolleyes:

Wasn’t there some sort of “Harris’s mate, cost too much” debate at the time? So I confess I wasn’t a fan of “Leonard the early years” but he won me over last season (although I think he is better in a back five)
Then again, I remember Kitchener’s debut and thought he was going to be shit as well :rolleyes:
Yeah, I remember Paul Robinson starting out and thought he was Bambi on ice. There was another defender that came through at the same time, I forget his name, but everyone seemed sure that the other bloke would make it and Robbo wouldn't go very far... Ha!

When fit he is our most consistent player , never gives less than 100%. Got a lot of stick in his first season and won the fans over with his no nonsense style and attitude.
If he stays fit he should piss the player of the season polls.
I wasn't a fan when he turned up, 2 Bob and brittle, but over the last few seasons you can his worth and like Wallace being played out of position, just rolls hois sleeves up and gets on with it.

Yeah, I remember Paul Robinson starting out and thought he was Bambi on ice. There was another defender that came through at the same time, I forget his name, but everyone seemed sure that the other bloke would make it and Robbo wouldn't go very far... Ha!

Wise played Robbo and Mark Phillips (Princess Anne's husband) at right-back at times.

We are a better team with Ryan Leonard in it. His ability to execute last ditch tackles is phenomenal.

I was thinking last night about how many of this squad would you have in the trenches beside you. Quite a few. Hutch, Cooper, Leonard, Murray, Sav, Bradshaw. All rock solid professionals, tough, work their bollocks off and put the team first.

Too right! He was getting slaughtered after his first few games and Bryan King wasn’t convincing anybody either. How did those two turn out?!!

Members online