Team v Tractor Boys

silverlion

Staff member
Lots to ponder over team selection for this one. They are a decent outfit who took us to the cleaners at their place. Given the chance they could do the same tomorrow. Except they are not in great form and could be vulnerable. We play well in parts and if we can manage a decent spell and then learn how to take the sting out of the game, manage part of the game when we are in front then we could spring a surprise. Joe would have been picking the bones over Sunday’s disappointing result and adapting his team for tomorrows showdown. We don’t have a big squad so he cannot make wholesale changes but there could be one or two.
Shark made some good first half saves, had no chance with the penalty and was left exposed for their second. He got a hand to it but couldn’t stop it. I think he will start. Danny played well on Sunday, BNC’s injury is unknown(?) so I think Danny will wear the shirt. The first big debate comes over Tango. The penalty was clearly his poor challenge and he let their striker run free for the second. Leonard is fit to start but will Joe make a change or give Tango another chance? It’s a tough call. Wes and Cooper could be the other two CB’s unless we only play 4 at the back with Wes dropping to the bench. And is it Joe or Murray at LB. Another tough call.
Esse made a good start and scored so he must be nailed on with Casper alongside him. Honeyman could make a midfield three. Oba had a better game so do you play two up front with Tom and Flem behind them both or only one up top with Flem right and Mayor left? Another tough call.

My thoughts are,

Shark
Danny Leonard Cooper Murray
Esse Casper Honeyman
Flem Oba Mayor

Subs Bart Wes Tango Joe Campbell Billy Watmore Tom Emakhu

Sadly, I shall not be there but sunning my buns in the sunshine state. Hence, no Just Back so I shall be interested to read somebody else’s thoughts on the game. COYL

Sarkic
Danny, Wes, Cooper, Dora
Esse,Casper, Honeyman, Mayor
I'm Afobe, Fleming

Would like Oba and Tom up top but because of their recent injury/fitness concerns probably best to hold one back,as we don't have much in the way of back up. Would also like an extra man in the middle, but not convinced we are equipped to play 3 at the back. Could go, but wouldn't be overjoyed .
Sarkic
Lenny, Cooper, Dora
Saville, Casper, Honeyman, Mayor
Esse, Fleming
I'm Afobe
Who knows ,but need a 90 minute performance.
Bold ,brave and nasty. COYL

Tanga took a lot of stick for their goals that I think is a little bit unfair.

Goal 1: when the player who feeds into the box receives the ball, Danny is way out of position, as is Wes; De Norre is tracking back and Honeyman is wrong side of him. Three players around him! Tanga had the choice of picking up 2 players i.e. the one to his right or Wright who runs into the box. His initial movement is to the right before going with Wright and the rest is history, albeit he wasn’t far short of getting the ball.

Goal 2: The biggest culprit was Cooper getting unnecessarily sucked forward then roasted. Again Tanga the choice of closing down the player with the ball or backing off and trying to intercept the pass to Wright (a no win situation). On another day, Sarkic would have saved Wright’s effort but I think he anticipated a curler to the far post and was slightly wrong footed.

Both goals were conceded because of players getting caught too far forward.

This is the major problem not Tanga or Sarkic 🤷‍♂️

BTW: Watch the highlights and see how many saves Sarkic made!

Lots to ponder over team selection for this one. They are a decent outfit who took us to the cleaners at their place. Given the chance they could do the same tomorrow. Except they are not in great form and could be vulnerable. We play well in parts and if we can manage a decent spell and then learn how to take the sting out of the game, manage part of the game when we are in front then we could spring a surprise. Joe would have been picking the bones over Sunday’s disappointing result and adapting his team for tomorrows showdown. We don’t have a big squad so he cannot make wholesale changes but there could be one or two.
Shark made some good first half saves, had no chance with the penalty and was left exposed for their second. He got a hand to it but couldn’t stop it. I think he will start. Danny played well on Sunday, BNC’s injury is unknown(?) so I think Danny will wear the shirt. The first big debate comes over Tango. The penalty was clearly his poor challenge and he let their striker run free for the second. Leonard is fit to start but will Joe make a change or give Tango another chance? It’s a tough call. Wes and Cooper could be the other two CB’s unless we only play 4 at the back with Wes dropping to the bench. And is it Joe or Murray at LB. Another tough call.
Esse made a good start and scored so he must be nailed on with Casper alongside him. Honeyman could make a midfield three. Oba had a better game so do you play two up front with Tom and Flem behind them both or only one up top with Flem right and Mayor left? Another tough call.

My thoughts are,

Shark
Esse Casper Honeyman
Flem Oba Mayor

Sadly, I shall not be there but sunning my buns in the sunshine state. Hence, no Just Back so I shall be interested to read somebody else’s thoughts on the game. COYL
again I ask the question on how you can start Fleming ? ,

Goal 1: when the player who feeds into the box receives the ball, Danny is way out of position, as is Wes; De Norre is tracking back and Honeyman is wrong side of him. Three players around him! Tanga had the choice of picking up 2 players i.e. the one to his right or Wright who runs into the box. His initial movement is to the right before going with Wright and the rest is history, albeit he wasn’t far short of getting the ball.

Goal 2: The biggest culprit was Cooper getting unnecessarily sucked forward then roasted. Again Tanga the choice of closing down the player with the ball or backing off and trying to intercept the pass to Wright (a no win situation). On another day, Sarkic would have saved Wright’s effort but I think he anticipated a curler to the far post and was slightly wrong footed.

Agree with most of that assessment. A couple of related points.

Cooper shouldn't be playing on the left of a back 3, he doesn't have the pace to cover the channel. Wallace is better suited to this.

Wes is a very average defender. Either Leonard or Tango ahead of him imho. The latter played okay against Coventry but can't make another costly error and expect to keep his place.

YhLots to ponder over team selection for this one. They are a decent outfit who took us to the cleaners at their place. Given the chance they could do the same tomorrow. Except they are not in great form and could be vulnerable. We play well in parts and if we can manage a decent spell and then learn how to take the sting out of the game, manage part of the game when we are in front then we could spring a surprise. Joe would have been picking the bones over Sunday’s disappointing result and adapting his team for tomorrows showdown. We don’t have a big squad so he cannot make wholesale changes but there could be one or two.

My thoughts are,

Shark
Esse Casper Honeyman
Flem Oba Mayor

'Two up front'? How long have you been sitting in that Sun?

When you say Shark made some good saves, Coventry only had 5 shots on target all game (including the penalty) and scored two of them so basically he made three saves the whole match which is after all his job.
When you say he was “exposed” for the second goal well that’s what goalkeepers have to expect from time to time otherwise they would only have to make saves from outside the box. Again, it’s his job.
He hasn’t got a clue from corners and looks shot to pieces every time we defend one.
Bart all day long for me
(did I mention Long?) :slap:

I went to bed last night thinking about what team Edwards should pick and woke up thinking about what team Edwards should pick and I have no idea whatsoever.

We need a Norwich style performance, so pick players with bottle and character. Hutch, Murray, Bradshaw, Leonard if all fit should all come in.

Excellent points Purley! 👍 JE inferred that Coops should have committed a professional foul on O'Hare. Tanga is still good for me.

When you say Shark made some good saves, Coventry only had 5 shots on target all game (including the penalty) and scored two of them so basically he made three saves the whole match which is after all his job.
When you say he was “exposed” for the second goal well that’s what goalkeepers have to expect from time to time otherwise they would only have to make saves from outside the box. Again, it’s his job.
He hasn’t got a clue from corners and looks shot to pieces every time we defend one.
Bart all day long for me
RE corners it depends what you are looking for. If you hold the belief that you do OAG then you will look for evidence that supports your belief i.e. 'cognitive bias'.
What I saw was Sarkic bravely come to collect 3 corners and one he struggled with but went to safety. Even the commentator applauded is other collections.

Bart all day long for me
If you think Sarkic looks shot, look at what is in front of him, hardly inspiring confidence is it now!?..