Should Edwards Go?

Should Edwards Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got mixed feelings over this (I voted 'No').

I've never seen the point in pulling the trigger prematurely and Im all for giving a guy time but it frustrates the piss out of me when a new manager comes in and tries to impose a style of play on a team, when it's obvious that the components of said team, required to play that way just are not fucking there.

We're seeing a lot of this now with new young managers, fresh out of their Pep 2.0 Course trying to turn jobbing midfielders into Kevin DeBruyne. That Beale clown is a prime example I think. They'll fuck up, get the boot and then their 'revolutionary' new ideas will be slickly repackaged in a nice Powerpoint presentation for the next soppy Chairman who thinks it'll turn his team into Barcelona or Man City.

The dichotomy is that Im not sure we can afford to be some young managers vanity project OR sack him!

I’d wait until Saturday evening. If we go back to basics and play to our strengths and win I’d wait. If we lose he has to go.

Could never understand the appointment. The Board wanted a change of style but we’d likely be more successful playing like Luton. Rowett had us hard to beat it just needed a tweak to get us attacking a bit more and use 4 at the back. Did not have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Should he go, what about Paul Heckingbottom? Proven at Championship level. Not flash, understated, did a brilliant job at Sheff Utd. Might have the most northern name ever but a very decent manager.
I'll try ANYBODY atm, even Holloway! I mean, can things get even worse? Other than the 3 wins over the Christmas period, we haven't won a game this year... in fact we have only gained 1 point in 7 matches... even Holloway wasn't THAT bad.

We need ANYBODY with the slightest ounce of tactical nous that may have previously managed in League 1/Championship who can get us a couple of wins over the next month... who'd have thought the win against QPR would have been so important!

The first 20 minutes last night we were peppering their goal with shots, doing some nice build up play, a couple of cornets and I thought we were going to give it a right go.
Then gradually Ipswich started to get hold of the ball and slowly started pushing us further and further back. They gained confidence and they must have thought we can win this.
I noticed then, when we had a goal kick, how high a press they were doing. Four of their players spread across the edge of our penalty area watching us tippy tappy our goal kicks. We never look comfortable doing that. Why on earth do keepers insist on that? What happened to the good old fashioned goal kick?
“Then gradually Ipswich started to get hold of the ball and slowly started pushing us further and further“

What happened was Hutchinson feigned an injury and several Tractor Boys went to their manager who gave instructions and the rest is history. All calculated or cheating?

We miss too many chances not clinical. For instance look at last nights stats. We need a minor miracle in the way of a striker. Give JE one and we might win.
What would a very good championship striker cost? 8 to 10 mil? That ain't gonna happen. We splashed out (for us) on Nisbet but spending a couple of mil doesn't get you a prolific striker evidently.
At the end of the day if you're not scoring goals, for whatever reason, you need to make bloody sure that you're tight at the back and not conceding.

[QUOTE="Ilderton Wanderer, post: 976258, member: 1775"

It was a bold decision at least by the club to appoint Edwards but with every passing match it is being shown up as the absolute folly it was to give the job to someone with zero professional first team management experience.
[/QUOTE]
Think about what you're saying. Every single manager has no professional first team management at the start whether it be Edwards, Rowett, George Graham, Ferguson or Pep. All of them.

It was a bold decision at least by the club to appoint Edwards but with every passing match it is being shown up as the absolute folly it was to give the job to someone with zero professional first team management experience.
Think about what you're saying. Every single manager has no professional first team management at the start whether it be Edwards, Rowett, George Graham, Ferguson or Pep. All of them.
[/QUOTE]
True but it's up to them to make the right impact. Do you think Edwards has done that effectively?

I think the video adds a bit of balance to the argument about where the reason lies for our current malaise.
He makes a compelling argument for a combination of factors, both strategic and tactical that have their roots long before Joe Edwards rocked up in SE16.
Did he mention the root of the cause? You know the ones, those elite footballing tacticians who were calling for Rowetts head from the stands, the 'original' cause for this fiasco?!

[/QUOTE]

That’s some pretty desperate straws you’re clutching at there, I can’t see how comparing Edwards with champions league winners is in any way relevant. The only thing that matters right now is that Edwards has overseen a collapse from a side that despite a bit of stuttering early season form was sitting comfortable in mid table a mere three points behind the play off pack to one that is staring into the abyss of league one.

Status
Not open for further replies.