Should Edwards Go?

Should Edwards Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 20 minutes last night we were peppering their goal with shots, doing some nice build up play, a couple of cornets and I thought we were going to give it a right go.
Then gradually Ipswich started to get hold of the ball and slowly started pushing us further and further back. They gained confidence and they must have thought we can win this.
I noticed then, when we had a goal kick, how high a press they were doing. Four of their players spread across the edge of our penalty area watching us tippy tappy our goal kicks. We never look comfortable doing that. Why on earth do keepers insist on that? What happened to the good old fashioned goal kick?

The formations & team selections of late are making it hard to defend him.

We dont have the players at the back to play the way he wants and that was pretty obvious well before JE arrived so i can't understand us sticking with it, even more so since we've signed an out and out winger i Mayor?

Playing Flemming out wide has been my biggest issue with him, He'll go to a Burnley/Norwich/West Brom in the summer play as a 10 and be a top player in this division,

My main case for Edwards is that he's been given a ageing squad that was lacking confidence under GR, And bar Casper the other new signings have been poor, Sarkic/Harding/Longman/Campbell/Bryan/Tanganga especially

Not just the playing staff that need a shake up, the recruitment and coaches have been given an easy ride for too long, Aldo needs to fuck off beyond Flemming and De Norre i can't really say we've made any good signings that have improved us, likewise Barret now with his 3rd Millwall manager and still being lauded as this great coach?

Sorry this turned into a small novel but this is the worst i've seen us in some time and considering we were 45 minutes away from the play offs less then a year ago to where we are now is a travesty...

What's Kennt Jackett up to these day

It was a gamble that an inexperienced chairman let the club get away with. JB Sr would never have allowed this appointment. Not blaming Jr, he took a punt, just have to hope for 3 points Saturday and could end the day 7 points off the drop

It seems to me that you either decide a formation and way of playing and try and fit the players you have or acquire into it or look at the players you have and then decide what is the best formation and style of playing to maximise their abilities. Edwards looks as though he has tried the former while Rowett went for the latter approach. In both cases you would also want to tweak things depending upon the opposition.

In support of GR and his approach it was effective but not pretty although there were games where we got results, performance and excitement although not that many. In support of JE and his approach we have looked really good in games but the wheels have come off the longer the games went on. It could also be argued that the players who made a difference over Xmas and New Year – Hutch, Emaku, Leonard - have since been unavailable to JE which has impacted on results but the counterargument would be the injury crisis a couple of seasons ago when GR had to put the likes of Lovelace on the bench but the players that were left turned in some gritty performances and got results.

Not sure what I’m arguing for but we have been poor for some weeks now and last night was a real embarrassment. Some of the players – especially Shark, Harding, Coops and, last night, Murray - seem shot to pieces and low on confidence. Whether JE can turn it around I have no idea but hope he and the players can.

We win on Saturday and we should go up a few places and could be 7 points from the drop. If we get rid of Edward’s then we will have years of Rowett like football as any new manager will follow his style that has worked previously and not risk Edward’s way. We have hit one big bump in the road but we need to support the current clubs manager and players, hope we stay up and then get the players in who can play Edward’s way. 2 decent ball playing centre backs is all we need to move forward.

I'd honestly and genuinely like to know on what basis some on here have any confidence in Edwards.

He has turned a stable top-half Championship side into a complete shambles. Players like Cooper and Murray, although never world-beaters but reliable, no-nonsense defenders, are now making schoolboy errors. Why is that?

A team that prided itself on being hard to beat, having character, bottle, guts, determination now has suddenly lost all of that. Why is that?

The pattern of games and how they unfold also tell a story. We start well, sometimes take the lead but after the opposition manager works out what's happening and makes changes they get on top and then we have no answer. Why is that?

We have lost more points from winning positions under Edwards than any other team in the division. It used to be the polar opposite. This team would go 1-0 up and that was basically the game. At the very worst we would draw. Now we fold like a pack of cards and show weakness, vulnerability and a staggering lack of fight. Why is that?

Since he took over his record is now the third worst in the division. Replicated over a full season we would be as good as down already.

I'd honestly and genuinely like to know on what basis some on here have any confidence in Edwards.

He has turned a stable top-half Championship side into a complete shambles. Players like Cooper and Murray, although never world-beaters but reliable, no-nonsense defenders, are now making schoolboy errors. Why is that?

A team that prided itself on being hard to beat, having character, bottle, guts, determination now has suddenly lost all of that. Why is that?

The pattern of games and how they unfold also tell a story. We start well, sometimes take the lead but after the opposition manager works out what's happening and makes changes they get on top and then we have no answer. Why is that?

We have lost more points from winning positions under Edwards than any other team in the division. It used to be the polar opposite. This team would go 1-0 up and that was basically the game. At the very worst we would draw. Now we fold like a pack of cards and show weakness, vulnerability and a staggering lack of fight. Why is that?

Since he took over his record is now the third worst in the division. Replicated over a full season we would be as good as down already.
I can't help but feel that Joe has gotten his mates to sign in to this website and voted for him!!! Seriously, it doesn't make sense! How does anyone still want one of the worst managers we've had in years which INCLUDES Holloway! Rowett got the players to perform every now and then.. why can't he.. One reason... he's not a manager... zero experience.

Our problem is that only Fleming and Bradshaw play the forward press effectively but you need more than two if we are to cut the oppo off effectively as we did over the xmas period.

As soon as the forward press does not work we go into default mode and drop deep which is easy to play against with no "out" ball to the forwards and good teams will pick us apart quite easily as has been the case.

I can announce that I will ride to the rescue on Saturday with our lucky charm.
My girlfriend has never seen us lose. (2 wins and a draw)
Well, nothing else seems to be working.
My hero.
I'd say enjoy it ,but feel it's going to be a nailbiter.
Mon dieu.

We didn’t lose bottle overnight. Did the back end of last season just vanish from your memory? We tried our absolute hardest to melt from the play off picture, miraculously had it in our grasp on the final day and capitulated in 45 minutes!

Not to mention churning out shitty weak performances littered with individual errors (sounds familiar) under Rowett this season.

The players need to have a word with themselves. So does Edwards.

Back 5 doesn’t work. It causes confusion, and unless you have Ashley Cole / Roberto Carlos level wingbacks, it’s impossible to argue that it’s an ‘attacking formation’ despite Rowett trying to claim it to be. Three centre halves get in each other’s way, no one takes the lead, no one organises. The extra man lulls them all in to a false sense of security and it’s always someone else’s problem to deal with any danger. That’s why we concede weak goals.

It also makes it so hard for us to get out of our half. We end up with 7 players in our third, can’t play our way out of a press, then float it forward in to either Bradshaw who can’t hold it up, or an empty space where we have a 30% chance of maintaining possession.

It is awful at the moment, all round.

are the players playing worse now than with Rowett - yes

What is the reason for that - change in style/tactics

When Edwards joined, the first thing he said was he didnt want to change too much too quickly - he has changed everything these players have been used to to the point where they dont look like professional footballers (not Championshp level) in just about every single game.

What frustrates me is, the Norwich and Bristol games (ignoring the boxing day QPR as they were pathetic), we looked like we had turned a corner and our solid structure and work ethic was back - its come undone so quickly

Rowett tried 5 at the back last season and it didnt work - so he went back to 4 - He tried it again this season and the same thing happened, since he has left, Edwards has maintained that 5 at the back and surprise surprise, it still doesnt work. Play 4 at the back which is what most of our our lot excel at and play 2 up top

Genuinely think we lose Saturday then we have Southampton and Watford who we will get smashed by and not only will we be in the bottom 3, we could also be 2-3 pts cut adrift.

We win on Saturday and we should go up a few places and could be 7 points from the drop. If we get rid of Edward’s then we will have years of Rowett like football as any new manager will follow his style that has worked previously and not risk Edward’s way. We have hit one big bump in the road but we need to support the current clubs manager and players, hope we stay up and then get the players in who can play Edward’s way. 2 decent ball playing centre backs is all we need to move forward.
yes, now i have calmed down a bit i think this is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online