Saville appeal

Saville had run himself ragged and was out on his feet. With hindsight he wouldn’t have pushed himself so far up the pitch to have to track back that late in the game. The tackle was so late it was in a different time zone, so I think it was a red. However, the ref overall had a shocker and totally lost control of the game

If you tugged a policeman’s shirt he might tell you off, if you did it again he might nick you for something minor but if you lunged at him with your feet from two yards away and knocked him flying you’d get two years

If you tugged a policeman’s shirt he might tell you off, if you did it again he might nick you for something minor but if you lunged at him with your feet from two yards away and knocked him flying you’d get two years
Strange analogy 🤣 it wasn’t a policeman. It was two footballers on a pitch playing football

It was still to me and many more, a DIABOLICAL decision. It was not a dangerous tackle , the worst was a trip. WHITESIDE does not deserve consideration, and can you explain why neither he nor his linemen or his third official failed to see the foree-arm Smash on Cooper. Maybe that should be looked at retrospectively? Or is that too much to ask. If you make.excuses for incompetent officials your are not doing football any flours. Yes they are an essential part of the game but the bar of proficiency must be set a lot higher.
He gave a yellow card for the incident, so retrospective punishment.

However, the ref overall had a shocker and totally lost control of the game
To me, that bit is the answer. He didn't have the bottle to make big decisions in the game, like not sending off Barnes and not giving a penalty. So when the Saville foul came up, that was his chance to make a bit of a statement. It was very late on by then and it's always easier to give a red card at that stage of a game. Basically it was his chance to make himself feel that he had the balls to take charge. It may have been a bad foul but it's a yellow nine times out of ten.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm out of date, but Saville didn't look out of control - he wasn't a foot in the air with studs up. It was a considered, cynical foul to stop an opponent.
Basically he tripped him up, never a chance of any injury to rowe. Seen worse over the ball shin crackers go with a yellow. Happens all the time it’s a well known part of the game practically no danger to the recipient

To me, that bit is the answer. He didn't have the bottle to make big decisions in the game, like not sending off Barnes and not giving a penalty. So when the Saville foul came up, that was his chance to make a bit of a statement. It was very late on by then and it's always easier to give a red card at that stage of a game. Basically it was his chance to make himself feel that he had the balls to take charge. It may have been a bad foul but it's a yellow nine times out of ten.
I like that, spot on

the refs done his job, got rid of one of must haves out for the next three games. Gets a gold star from the FA.Hope he chokes on it