RIP John Berylson - A true Millwall legend!

A truly great man who changed Millwall for ever and will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace. I have spoken to him many times at Millwall club dinners and he really did understand who we were and what we stood for. He revelled in our underdog status and was thrilled to bits when we turned over much bigger clubs against the odds. He moved us into a whole new realm of understanding and fiercely stood up for us when others made unjustified criticism against us. He was a fan of immense proportions and was as proud of our achievements as any supporter on the terraces. He was not flamboyant or outspoken but harboured a deep love of the club. His memory will live on but it does put our club on the edge looking down and wondering what could come next. The whole Millwall community will be saddened by his loss hoping that the path he has set for us will be followed by his successor. A truly sad day for all Millwall supporters.

Devastating news…. My heart goes out to his family and friends. A true gentleman who just got the ‘Millwall way’. Never have we seen a chairman so devoted to our club and am gutted he will never get to see his dedication to the cause become a reality.

Lets do it for John this season and cement his legacy as one of the all time greats.

RIP big man.

A truly great man, a well respected businessman, gentleman, husband, father and grandfather. My thoughts and sincere deepest sympathies go to his family, friends and his beloved staff at the club. He loved Millwall and everything it stands for, the fans, the community and this unique part of London.

I was once told that he was already grooming James his son as his successor and I truly hope that’s true and he can fill the void left by his father.

RIP JB, and thank you for everything you have done for our club and community. 🙏🦁

A truly great man who changed Millwall for ever and will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace. I have spoken to him many times at Millwall club dinners and he really did understand who we were and what we stood for. He revelled in our underdog status and was thrilled to bits when we turned over much bigger clubs against the odds. He moved us into a whole new realm of understanding and fiercely stood up for us when others made unjustified criticism against us. He was a fan of immense proportions and was as proud of our achievements as any supporter on the terraces. He was not flamboyant or outspoken but harboured a deep love of the club. His memory will live on but it does put our club on the edge looking down and wondering what could come next. The whole Millwall community will be saddened by his loss hoping that the path he has set for us will be followed by his successor. A truly sad day for all Millwall supporters.
Great post mate.

Not too proud to admit it, shed a tear or two over my morning coffee. We’ve lost a great man.

Last edited:
Just seen the devastating news.
In this day an age of rogue owners Millwall truly had one in a league of his own.
The Millwall family have to deliver a season to remember in honour of the great man.
RIP leader of the pride

He not only saved Millwall putting in over £100m of his own money, he was also a wonderful gentleman. Was in shock last night. Took over in a business deal and fell in love with Millwall. Ex-marine who actually gave up on the money and found a place for Millwall in his heart. Loved the fans, always out meeting them. Unheard of. You will always be in our hearts. RIP 💙🦁🙏

I can't think of any words to describe John Berylson that hasn't already been said, he was a great man that saved Millwall, i never met him but by all accounts he was a great, friendly and generous man as well as being a great businessman. He will be sadly missed by a lot of people, my thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP