Re name the ground

I think your comment is a bit harsh mate. It's an emotional time and people are still processing what has happened. I reckon the idea would have crossed many peoples mind. It's a nice reasonable thought and no doubt comforting for some.
Fair enough but I can't say I agree. I understand feelings are raw and I tride to keep my post as considered as possible, I spoke of the merits of the other Ideas whilst trying to give a balanced assessment but I just can't abided by the Idea of the ground being renamed. To be honest It gave and gives me the right hump. If you can forgive the poncy language, to me Millwall Is sort of omnipresent. An ethereal sensation that Is far more then about Saturdays. It's made up of thousands of moments, thousands of people, and to elevate one man above It all and name our ground after him I don't believe Is right. It makes him bigger than the club In my eyes. After all we don't play football at the New Den we play football at The Den, the purity and history of that name Is Important and that's why It's stuck.

As I said I understand It's an emotional time and people are Intitled to their opinions. I didn't say anything right away because I thought people might just be venting but I see It too often enough for me not to say I think It's rediculous. I wasn't digging people out personally but I stand by my view on the Idea and If It did happen It's not something I believe I would ever be comfortable with or Indulge.

It obviously is a sensitive issue right now but I do get where Stompie is coming from mate. Some of the ideas I’ve seen on social media are a little bit OTT for want of a better phrase although I fully understand where they are coming from and as you rightly imply all of us are still coming to terms with what has happened. I know from bitter experience, like many of us do, how hard it is to deal with the sheer shock of sudden loss and how difficult it can be to overcome that grief.

I think first and foremost the family and their wishes must come first in how we mourn the loss of JB. Also in my opinion JB was very much a dignified man who was happy to stay out of the limelight and going forward we should remember that and apply that in how we mourn his passing and eventually celebrate his life. I think a period of dignified reflection and black armbands up to and including the Bristol City match would be fine then further down the line put it out there to the fans with the permission of his family how best to remember the great man and do his legacy justice, be it naming a stand, a road or my preference a statue that we can all contribute to. All that though is for another day, right now the important thing is we stick together while we come to terms with the loss of such a wonderful man who played such a huge part in our
Fair enough but I can't say I agree. I understand feelings are raw and I tride to keep my post as considered as possible, I spoke of the merits of the other Ideas whilst trying to give a balanced assessment but I just can't abided by the Idea of the ground being renamed. To be honest It gave and gives me the right hump. If you can forgive the poncy language, to me Millwall Is sort of omnipresent. An ethereal sensation that Is far more then about Saturdays. It's made up of thousands of moments, thousands of people, and to elevate one man above It all and name our ground after him I don't believe Is right. It makes him bigger than the club In my eyes. After all we don't play football at the New Den we play football at The Den, the purity and history of that name Is Important and that's why It's stuck.

As I said I understand It's an emotional time and people are Intitled to their opinions. I didn't say anything right away because I thought people might just be venting but I see It too often enough for me not to say I think It's rediculous. I wasn't digging people out personally but I stand by my view on the Idea and If It did happen It's not something I believe I would ever be comfortable with or Indulge.
I actually get where you’re coming from. This board is sensible but facebook and Twitter seems to be full of people who are trying to ‘out grieve’ each other with suggestions. It’s got the point where I’m waiting on someone to suggest folding the club entirely in his memory. We’ve lost a great man, naming a stand after him would be fine but the idea of changing zampa road to “ John berylson way” is perfect. A road that leads to the ground of the club he loved and did so much for, like he was from the parish itself 👌🏻

I actually get where you’re coming from. This board is sensible but facebook and Twitter seems to be full of people who are trying to ‘out grieve’ each other with suggestions. It’s got the point where I’m waiting on someone to suggest folding the club entirely in his memory. We’ve lost a great man, naming a stand after him would be fine but the idea of changing zampa road to “ John berylson way” is perfect. A road that leads to the ground of the club he loved and did so much for, like he was from the parish itself 👌🏻
A road name would be a problem if we move and after the way the council have treated us of late I’d rather not leave him there. Plus the graffiti factor and nowhere near as important we have mascots named Zampa and Bolina.

I would like the North Stand named after JB so we can all see it during a match and perhaps the new training ground also.
A good statue that we can take with us as well if we move is also a good idea.

End of the day I’m sure the family will decide what he would of preferred.

Last edited: