Rare Colour Film of Millwall 1966/67

whiskylion

Just found this.

Some chap filmed Wolves' final away games if the 1966/67 promotion season. The sequence starts with film of Millwall in their famous blue and white stripes.

Age has not been kind to the prints and could do with some restoration. But it is film I had never before seen, nonetheless, and a priceless record of our time in our famous old strip.

I was at every game at the Den that season. Pity the Wolves chap didn’t film the exchange of kicks to the bollocks between Dougan and one of our supporters at the CBL end of the ground.
I was wondering if it was that game, I was also at the game, My Dad supported QPR but due to the family moving to New Cross he would take me to the Den, As I got older I realised this was his way of getting to New Cross dogs straight after the game.

Just found this.

Some chap filmed Wolves' final away games if the 1966/67 promotion season. The sequence starts with film of Millwall in their famous blue and white stripes.

Age has not been kind to the prints and could do with some restoration. But it is film I had never before seen, nonetheless, and a priceless record of our time in our famous old strip.

Excellent.

But, why was the bloke on the soundtrack drying his hair whilst commentating?

:hmmm:

I read an article about him in Kent Online from 2014.
He has had a tough time.
You will find it if you just google his name.
Indeed he did.

In 1972 I saw Dicky Plume's finest moments in football. I was at the County Ground, Northampton, to watch the FA Trophy semi-final between Barnet and Telford, with Plume dramatically scoring a last minute penalty to send Barnet to Wembley.

The final, where Stafford Rangers met Barnet, was my first-ever reporting assignment, having to do a match report for the school magazine. Wellingborough School Mag had, since its first edition in 1930, been dry as a bone and it was unheard of for such an entry. But my English teacher (who I later used to Edit Lions of the South) wished to show an example if football journalism and see if I was up for it.

In fact, my piece was so successful that the following season (aged 14) I started reporting for the Northampton Chronicle and Echo!

Anyway, Plume played that day at Wembley. But Barnet never really got going and Stafford won 3-0, and deservedly so.

I thought the stand-out player on the pitch was Micky Cullerton, who scored one and generally looked a class above. He ended up playing against us a few years later for Port Vale. Indeed, in 1975/76 Cullerton scored more goals for Vale than our two leading scorers did for Millwall combined - even though we got promoted...!!!

Last edited:
What a brilliant film. Sadly I started going the following season so I have never seen the old stripe kit. The following year we played in all white. A bit like Leeds but more classy