Phil Walker

It's because of the stereotyping of Millwall factor. The truth doesn't fit with the desired narrative of wanting to call us out as racists etc. I think Phil and Trevor Lee made us possibly the first League club to play 2 coloured players. Hence the Media swerve it. To both their credit, I don't recall any mention of Racism of any kind from them

I think the big thing that never gets mentioned is that at that time, it was a hell of a lot more commonplace to hear racist remarks in the stands. It was a reflection of society at the time and not limited to just one club.

Phil Walker did say he used to hear opposition players getting racially abused by Millwall supporters, but they wouldn't give any out to him.

I think the big thing that never gets mentioned is that at that time, it was a hell of a lot more commonplace to hear racist remarks in the stands. It was a reflection of society at the time and not limited to just one club.

Phil Walker did say he used to hear opposition players getting racially abused by Millwall supporters, but they wouldn't give any out to him.
Spot on.

Unfortunately, racist comments could be heard at every ground in the country in the 70s/80s.

Something else that is also rarely mentioned when talking about racism and Millwall is that it was 'politely' suggested to sellers of the NF rag that they should consider moving their pitch from CBL on matchdays.

Something else that is also rarely mentioned when talking about racism and Millwall is that it was 'politely' suggested to sellers of the NF rag that they should consider moving their pitch from CBL on matchdays.

Crazy times; you had them weirdos from the NF selling their newspaper on one side of the Cold Blow and the holy joes from the Salvation Army selling their rag on the other.

I remember the NF taking a clump on one Saturday don’t think they ever returned.

Sally Army were left alone.

Crazy times; you had them weirdos from the NF selling their newspaper on one side of the Cold Blow and the holy joes from the Salvation Army selling their rag on the other.

I remember the NF taking a clump on one Saturday don’t think they ever returned.

They were that. I remember a crowd building around some NF sellers. A mounted copper trots over and the NF bods complain that they are being told 'To fuck off if they know what's good for them'. The copper replied that they had best take the advice then, turns his horse around and trots away. Must confess not the reaction I expected.

Oh yes, the NF decided to leave!

As you say, there were some weirdos outside the old Den in the 70/80s but it was nothing compared to the Saturday matinee outside Brixton tube: NF, SWP, gospel singers, Sally Army, David Icke supporters, creationists, sound systems, flat Earthers. All topped off by Catweazle, a Rasta who usually dressed all in yellow and rode up and down on a Chopper, shouting incoherently. Bloody great free show.

It's because of the stereotyping of Millwall factor. The truth doesn't fit with the desired narrative of wanting to call us out as racists etc. I think Phil and Trevor Lee made us possibly the first League club to play 2 coloured players. Hence the Media swerve it. To both their credit, I don't recall any mention of Racism of any kind from them
Considering the abuse they got at "the peoples club" Everton, back in the day.

RIP Phil

My earliest memories of watching us was the promotion season of 1976. Phil was an integral part of that team and will remain a legend of the club for many years to come.

Members online