New Signings

Why would he want to come to us?

Played 17 games for Bournemouth last season and, if he can’t get another loan to a Premiership team, I’m sure he could join a Championship team closer to his home.
Premier cubs would be reluctant to loan a player to a team that plays basic and direct stuff. Creswell improved as a defender and luckily he was already good with his feet.

I’m saying that something needs to change, either in the mindset of the players in how they think and react during play, or if it’s not them, then the training needs to change!

Do you think that well paid, professional footballers should be able to pass accurately to each other, know how to pass and move and create space? I do, and that’s what the Norwich players did on Saturday! They were good, but we made them look better because everything our players did was wrong!
And yet these very same players were able to do just what you demand i.e. pass accurately, etc against Middlesbrough two weeks ago. However, you casually dismiss that performance as an aberration because Boro have had a bad start to the season. (As an aside, I wonder if their players - who made the playoffs last season - have lost the ability to pass a ball over the close season and/or Carrick has become a bad coach overnight).

Notwithstanding my comment in the previous paragraph if, as you infer, our midfield are incapable of performing basic skills then no coach in the world is going to change that (and certainly not in the next week or so). So back to my original question: Where are we going to find these replacements -and supplementary question - at what cost?

GR hints at new signings in an article on NAD.

In my view defence seems a priority and maybe he feels the same. There is still mileage in Cooper but maybe it is time to take a long look at Murray. I am not sure about Wes. We have yet to see him play in central defence so who knows. I am sure the Alex Aldridge already has identified possible targets so let’s see what happens. Nine days left in the transfer window to add some reinforcements. Anyone out there got somebody in mind?
need a creative midfielder first of all & then a big target man if we are going to employ the hapless hoof ball

I agree. There 's little point in having ball player in the middle on up top if don't have centre halves and wing backs that can't pass to feet or cross. Bryan ceratinly can and so can Harding. Think it's time that we thought about moving Cooper on and relacing an ageing Hutchinson.

Wallace is hot and cold but can use both his feet. Danny won't push on or improve all the while he can't cross a ball properly. You need capable footballers in this division otherwise we'll be left behind. I think that is half our problem, we haven't the natural ball players that most other teams have and it's showing. You can't get away with having a team of rugged battlers cause they'll only get you so far. Bottom eight and fighting relegation. Rowett is addressing that b ut it isn't cheap or easy to find those players that'll fit in with what we've already got. Desperately need 3 technically adept defenders.
Loads of sense there totally agree.

Seriously, what is the point in buying more players if the current ones cannot do the basics right?

We’re all clamouring for one, possibly two new CH’s! So, Rowett is given £5M to go out and buy two young CH’s who are great in the tackle, can play out from the back and are not adverse to getting the odd goal or two! Wonderful! Christmas has come early, and all that…..

But…..

If our midfield still cannot pass accurately to each other over a few yards, or they keep passing the ball sideways or backwards because no player is making themselves available in a forward position, or they can’t play 1-2’s whilst still moving forwards up the pitch, how will buying two new CH’s suddenly make all the midfield problems we have, go away?

We have midfield players who are mostly unfit, have hardly any pace and have no confidence to do any of the above! What are these players doing in training? Does Rowett and Barrett work on their passing, their 1-2’s, their overall movement? Does the whole team watch a playback of the last game played, so Rowett can show them what they should have done, so mistakes aren’t continuously repeated (or are at least reduced?)

We have good forward players who can score goals but they aren’t getting the service up to them from midfield. Until we have midfield players who can boss the midfield opposition (as Norwich did against us), we are never going to dominate games or help our forwards score goals!
How did we manage to do so well last season to finish 8th? You go on as though we've just been relegated. You seem to forget there's two teams on the pitch. We've strengthened with what looks like better ball players.

De Norre looks decent. Brayn is a proven and technically adept player. We have Esse and Emakhu. Nisbet looks handy. Watmore, Flemming, Saville and Evans can play a bit. They just need time, something that you just won't give them.

There's a fucking stewards inquiry after every game that isn't a win. In one breath you're saying we have unfit players with no pace and no confidence. In the same breath you want to know why we're losing and not playing well. Perhaps you've answered your own question! How the hell did you cope and get through the Nichol and Holloway era's/

You're all over the shop and for someone who's been following us for such a long time. You show no sign of understanding the limitataions and handicaps that we have to operate under. More so in this division. Rowett has given us three top half finishes. Ninth, eighth and seventh yet your going on like we're bottom of the conference league. Does that not suggest that we have a more than capable manager that's doing very well with a limited and small squad whilst being constrained by budgets and restrictions on what we can spend?

I remember you moaning after a win last season. If it wasn't for the fact that you are so passionate and knowledgeable i'd be wondering if you was a troll. Doesn't the fact that we're currently going through our second most successful period in the last 50 year count for nothing and also tell you something?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you but unless something radical happens and changes our fortunes for the better then it doesn't get much better than this. History will tell you that we're a yoyo club that has spent over half of it's existence in the tird and fourth divisions.

The last 14 years has seen us play in the championship for all but two seasons. There's clubs that were playing premier league football not so long ago now stuck in the divisions below us cause they went mad and gambled and spent what wasn't there's. They risked everything to get there nad them more to stay there. That could have been us, we may not have whethered that fall out and bump when coming back down to earth.

You should be elated and proud of how we've be run and tightly managed. Elated cause you, me and every other supporter is witnessing one of our best and most successful periods in our history. Cup runs, giant killings of premier champions. Stability, attendances on par with 88/89. Rowett has put 2k on our gates in the last two seasons. A competive team that is up against all sorts of hurdles. Longevity in a league where nearly all our competitors can wipe the floor with us finance wise.

We usually go in cycles of three/ four years and then the inevitable decline and relegation. That hasn't been the case nor looks likely to happen under Rowett nor with the squad that he's slowly assembled. Our two weakest links are two centre halves that were bought for peanuts and whilst in a a lower division. Rowett has gradually and whilst working within the restraints that hamper us changed a huge amount both in the playing side, recruitment strategy ( Flemming and De Noore) training, mentallity and crowd numbers.

All those changes have been incrimental which wasn't by choice but necessity. Each season the team has finished higher than the last. Achieved with Journeymen, the odd loan and some good but inconsistent players. You get what you pay for! Three games in and you're aris is flapping like the sail on boat stuck in a storm.

We're going through a period of transition both on and off the field. We now have a team all but rid of cloggers and players on there last payday. I think what Rowett has done to over haul everything and change the mindset, mentallity, scouting, qualirty of player, age has been nothing short of exemplary and all done with next to no money and in a short space of time.

I think for all of Rowetts faults he's gone beyond the remit of a coach and has been nothing but a positive for our club. West brom play nice football, so do Watford and Swansea. All clubs that have done there parachute payments but finish below a team and manager that you don't give a moments peace to on here.

Be careful what you wish for!

training session over Peckham Rye park.
I'll have you know that we take our training very seriously as well as fitness at Rye of the Rovers fc. We've cut down to one reefer before kick off, only two at halftime and now use scientifically designed rizlas that serve to get that extra yard out of a player when he's jogging to the 24 hour offy for beers and chocolate.

*other retailers are available *

Playing in smaller spaces makes players think quicker, control the ball better and pass better. Futsal is the reason Brazil produce so many technically gifted and clever footballers. The cage football pitches found in many urban areas of the uk is thought to be one of the reasons why England keeps producing better technical players too.
I see it all the time with the coaches that train over on Peckham Rye. It's all bout technique/ ball control. Small confined space and two touch. One to control, second to pass. Gone are the days of a group of seven year olds playing on full length pitches and full size goals.

There is nothing wrong with our players ability, most have played at other clubs where they play Football at pace and with movement, we do neither.

Its the tactics that are sucking the life out of the club and if that does not change nor will the results, our last ten games are nothing to be proud of.

But our players don’t think quicker, or have better control or pass better, for all the reasons I‘ve outlined above!

Nearly all the players who played against Norwich were Rowett buys or ones he deemed ready to bring through from the U21 side! So if it‘s them that are at fault, then it’s down to Rowett as he bought/brought through players who aren’t skilful enough and/or are unable to do the basics! If it’s not down to the players then it’s down to the training! Either way, the buck stops with Rowett!
The buck always stops with the manager and no one will know that more than Rowett.
But the players deserve flack for the performance on Sunday totally unacceptable.
You mate seem seriously hell bent on continually going over the same arguments time and again with the manager the main target of your frustration.
Other posters give you a reasonable explanation to your points but you carry on grinding home your point with paragraphs and paragraphs of repetitive ramblings,I don’t know where you find the time.
And I get that this is a forum and it’s all about opinions and debating and you are more than entitled to your opinions but sometimes I feel you post for the sake of posting whilst not offering any rest bite or positivity.
Which I know is hard at present but we have been a lot deeper in the shit in days gone by. And we will be again if the board god forbid follow the wishes of any of the delusional and millennial entitled twats that are following us at the moment.
I applaud anyone with passion and commitment who spend their hard earned following the lions all over the country but too be honest I am horrified by attitudes and some of shit I hear from section’s of our support.

Last edited:
I agree. There 's little point in having ball player in the middle on up top if don't have centre halves and wing backs that can't pass to feet or cross. Bryan ceratinly can and so can Harding. Think it's time that we thought about moving Cooper on and relacing an ageing Hutchinson.

Wallace is hot and cold but can use both his feet. Danny won't push on or improve all the while he can't cross a ball properly. You need capable footballers in this division otherwise we'll be left behind. I think that is half our problem, we haven't the natural ball players that most other teams have and it's showing. You can't get away with having a team of rugged battlers cause they'll only get you so far. Bottom eight and fighting relegation. Rowett is addressing that b ut it isn't cheap or easy to find those players that'll fit in with what we've already got. Desperately need 3 technically adept defenders.
If we can’t bring anyone in at the back that ticks this box, I think he will bite the bullet and play Evans at CB. Maybe even Leonard. I wouldn’t mind it.

Evans could be made in to a bit of a rolls Royce defender in the modern game. He’s got size and immense technical ability, if he can show a bit of grit and aggression to go alongside it I think he will prove many wrong.

There is nothing wrong with our players ability, most have played at other clubs where they play Football at pace and with movement, we do neither.

Its the tactics that are sucking the life out of the club and if that does not change nor will the results, our last ten games are nothing to be proud of.
Most definitely this , it has to change no doubt.
A good start would be giving Rowett the cash for Cresswell if Leeds will sell, not really a gamble with club finances in my opinion cos his resale value would be significantly higher if continues to improve with first team football.
But easy to say, I am not running the club and privy to the financial pressures of doing so . We would have to smash the transfer record and that really isn’t going to happen , the club is being solidly run at the moment and would be totally out of character.
I think I better lay off the sauce a get me nut down.

Last edited:
The buck always stops with the manager and no one will know that more than Rowett.
But the players deserve flack for the performance on Sunday totally unacceptable.

Agreed. Professionalism and pride should be the top 2 things that a footballer should have IMO (others may think differently!)

You mate seem seriously hell bent on continually go over the same arguments time and again with the manager the main target of your frustration.

The arguments are the same because nothing changes re what the manager does or the players we have. If Rowett and/or the players could do something different, wouldn’t we all have something to be a bit more positive about? You can’t say I can’t target Rowett with my frustration, when you’ve just said in your first paragraph, “The buck always stops with the manager and no one will know that more than Rowett.” That’s where the frustration is: Rowett and the players keep making the same mistakes and nobody, not Rowett or the players, do anything to rectify those mistakes!

Other posters give you a reasonable explanation to your points but you carry on grinding home your point with paragraphs and paragraphs of repetitive ramblings,I don’t know where you find the time.

Posters do give me reasonable explanations to my points, but at the end of the day, its just their opinion, as my opinions are mine! The difference is I don’t try to change other posters opinions. I may disagree with what they say, but I never publicly come out and say, “You’re wrong, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about, because…..” I don’t do that because it is their opinion, they believe it, so why should I waste my breath trying to get them to change their beliefs?

And I get that this is a forum and it’s all about opinions and debating and you are more than entitled to your opinions but sometimes I feel you post for the sake of posting whilst not offering any rest bite or positivity.

I post, like I’m sure others on here do, because I want to get stuff off my chest! I know that some might agree with some of my posts, and I know others won’t, and that’s all good! I’m not here to change posters minds, just offer my own thoughts which you might agree or disagree with!

I have praised both Rowett and the team when the manager and player performance comes together well. We had several good draws and wins last season where I praised them, and even though Boro this season weren’t as strong as they had been at home in previous seasons, we still played well and Rowett got his tactics spot on that game! Unfortunately, back to back games aren’t always the same as we saw against Reading, City and Norwich!

Which I know is hard at present but we have been a lot deeper in the shit in days gone by. And we will be again if the board god forbid follow the wishes of any of the delusional and millennial entitled twats that are following us at the moment.

I wasn’t expecting us to beat Norwich on Saturday, and just looking at the 3-1 result in itself, a Wall supporter seeing that (but not seeing the game itself), wouldn’t have thought that a 3-1 defeat against a former Prem side was that bad a result! I can handle a defeat like that, but not the poor performance that brought about that loss! I’m sure you and other Wall supporters on here feel the same!

I applaud anyone with passion and commitment who spend their hard earned following the lions all over the country but too be honest I am horrified by attitudes and some of shit I hear from section’s of our support.

I agree. Like I’ve said countless times before, I don’t hate Gary Rowett, but I do hate his dull, defensive football, which we’ve pretty much had to put up with for most of the 4 years he’s managed us! I’ve never booed any Millwall team, win, lose or draw, and calling Rowett a cunt by a section of our support is both disrespectful and wrong.

IMHO, for all the money he’s had to spend these last couple of seasons, I still wouldn’t rate this current Rowett side over our 1987/1988 promotional side, or our old first division side, for guts, determination, passion and skill. I wouldn’t even put this Rowett side above the Rioch or McGee sides, for the same reasons. Yes, football is played differently now, but those Millwall players of yesteryear still knew what was expected of them and knew what it meant to pull on that jersey for the Wall faithful. I’m not sure many of our current group of players feel the same way!

Last edited:
I doubt Leonard would last ten minutes but he is capable. Who do you think would make way for Evans?
Would be out of Cooper or Murray. Murray has the edge in his agility and ability on the ball but Cooper is more of a leader, a bigger aerial presence in both boxes.

Hutch as the captain I would assume is safe.

The arguments are the same because nothing changes re what the manager does or the players we have. If Rowett and/or the players could do something different, wouldn’t we all have something to be a bit more positive about?
You still haven't answered or explained how Rowett managed to get us an eighth and seventh placed finishes. Ylou seem to have the answer for all our problems so why can't you explain our finishing positions under Rowett?

Isn't finshing seventh positive? Isn't not being in a relegation battle for most of a season positive. What more than a seventh place finish do you want? I ask cause you think the manager is dull, our football shit and boring so why would you expect to be positive when most of the time you write the the team off and say the manager is negative and boring//

Have to ask you this. Are you completely thick or a bit slow? Look at you posts. One post afdter another pointing out all the faults you can find. Be it the players or manager. Then the next fucking post is you bemoaning a defeat of not being in the play off spots. How does thast work? You slagging the manager but at the sametime want more than seventh?

Would be out of Cooper or Murray. Murray has the edge in his agility and ability on the ball but Cooper is more of a leader, a bigger aerial presence in both boxes.

Hutch as the captain I would assume is safe.
He was the one left out when we played 4 at the back last season.

Members online