New Signings

Nat Phillips (Liverpool) ?​

Why would he want to come to us?

Played 17 games for Bournemouth last season and, if he can’t get another loan to a Premiership team, I’m sure he could join a Championship team closer to his home.

We have midfield players who are mostly unfit, have hardly any pace and have no confidence to do any of the above! What are these players doing in training? Does Rowett and Barrett work on their passing, their 1-2’s, their overall movement? Does the whole team watch a playback of the last game played, so Rowett can show them what they should have done, so mistakes aren’t continuously repeated (or are at least reduced?)
Just wanted to add the following to the above!

Didn’t someone on here attend the open day last week, and said that they saw the players training on smaller pitches?

It got me thinking as to whether all teams train on smaller pitches? If that’s the case, I can understand it from the POV of not tiring out the players between games, but bearing in mind our midfield problems (noted above), wouldn’t it be better for the 1st team to train on full sized Championship pitches, and maybe against our U21’s side, so they can learn to pass more accurately, play the 1-2’s and improve their overall movement and fitness, all to mirror what they should be doing playing in the Championship?

Surely playing on smaller pitches doesn’t allow our players the space to do all of the above properly, and is this why our midfield is so poor technically?

5 at the back makes us so regimented and rigid in our ways of playing its painful.

There is no fluidity throughout our team at all. Who remembers when GR first took over and had Coops running down the line? Yes it looked very unnatural but did it work? yes... it had the opposition absolutely baffled.

Referring back to how we play now, its very obvious what our plan is... counter attacking football when under the kosh. But when we're given the ball, we're clueless... its as if the players look at the manager as if to say "that's not what we practised"...

If we continue to play like this, we need a target man up top (In the form of Matt Smith). Give our players someone to actually aim for if they want to just hoof it. Instead of poor Nisbet or Bradders having to bust a bollock every time to run into a bloke twice their height and get nowhere.

Didn’t someone on here attend the open day last week, and said that they saw the players training on smaller pitches?

It got me thinking as to whether all teams train on smaller pitches? If that’s the case, I can understand it from the POV of not tiring out the players between games, but bearing in mind our midfield problems (noted above), wouldn’t it be better for the 1st team to train on full sized Championship pitches, and maybe against our U21’s side, so they can learn to pass more accurately, play the 1-2’s and improve their overall movement and fitness, all to mirror what they should be doing playing in the Championship?

Surely playing on smaller pitches doesn’t allow our players the space to do all of the above properly, and is this why our midfield is so poor technically?

What in the fuck are you going on about? This is a professional football club playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the world with all kinds of scientific and conditioning data with 7 day a week player monitoring going on yet you’re somehow equating it to a U9s training session over Peckham Rye park. Fucks sake.

Seriously, what is the point in buying more players if the current ones cannot do the basics right?

We’re all clamouring for one, possibly two new CH’s! So, Rowett is given £5M to go out and buy two young CH’s who are great in the tackle, can play out from the back and are not adverse to getting the odd goal or two! Wonderful! Christmas has come early, and all that…..

But…..

If our midfield still cannot pass accurately to each other over a few yards, or they keep passing the ball sideways or backwards because no player is making themselves available in a forward position, or they can’t play 1-2’s whilst still moving forwards up the pitch, how will buying two new CH’s suddenly make all the midfield problems we have, go away?

We have midfield players who are mostly unfit, have hardly any pace and have no confidence to do any of the above! What are these players doing in training? Does Rowett and Barrett work on their passing, their 1-2’s, their overall movement? Does the whole team watch a playback of the last game played, so Rowett can show them what they should have done, so mistakes aren’t continuously repeated (or are at least reduced?)

We have good forward players who can score goals but they aren’t getting the service up to them from midfield. Until we have midfield players who can boss the midfield opposition (as Norwich did against us), we are never going to dominate games or help our forwards score goals!
So you think that we need a complete overhaul of our midfield? 4 new players? Any suggestions who they should be?

Playing in smaller spaces makes players think quicker, control the ball better and pass better. Futsal is the reason Brazil produce so many technically gifted and clever footballers. The cage football pitches found in many urban areas of the uk is thought to be one of the reasons why England keeps producing better technical players too.

What in the fuck are you going on about? This is a professional football club playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the world with all kinds of scientific and conditioning data with 7 day a week player monitoring going on yet you’re somehow equating it to a U9s training session over Peckham Rye park. Fucks sake.
I asked a question, as I don’t know how Rowett sets up or what he does during training!

Whatever he and the players do in training clearly isn’t working, because they can’t do the basics, can they? They can’t pass to each other over a few yards, they can’t pass and move, they can’t create space and some of them are not fit!

That’s either down to the players not having the skill to do these things, or none of the above is covered in training! Whichever it is, other teams have sussed how we set up, whether home or away, and they know how to frustrate and beat us!

We all thought that the win against Boro was down to how we played against them, and whilst we did play well, it didn’t tell the whole story because since they’ve played us, Boro got tanked by Coventry in the league 3-0 away, and only managed a draw at home in the league 1-1 against Huddersfield, so the win was basically papering over the cracks!

From a coaching point of view the small pitches and not allowing them space to operate is the idea. Close control ,awareness and sharp decision making.
Although in our case it is obviously not working 🤣

Playing in smaller spaces makes players think quicker, control the ball better and pass better. Futsal is the reason Brazil produce so many technically gifted and clever footballers. The cage football pitches found in many urban areas of the uk is thought to be one of the reasons why England keeps producing better technical players too.

Yep, and 5-a-side football is still the very backbone of UK Urban Football.

Small Pitch Skills and Strength Training

So you think that we need a complete overhaul of our midfield? 4 new players? Any suggestions who they should be?
I’m saying that something needs to change, either in the mindset of the players in how they think and react during play, or if it’s not them, then the training needs to change!

Do you think that well paid, professional footballers should be able to pass accurately to each other, know how to pass and move and create space? I do, and that’s what the Norwich players did on Saturday! They were good, but we made them look better because everything our players did was wrong!

Do you ever watch teams warming up ? They all set up in small groups of 3 or 4 one chasing the rest passing in a small area.
That's why anyone who knows about coaching or has played at a high level knows the more confined the space the more accurate you need to be.
My old Grandad told me it's better to keep your mouth shut a be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Robbo didn’t see your post before I jumped in.

But our players don’t think quicker, or have better control or pass better, for all the reasons I‘ve outlined above!

Nearly all the players who played against Norwich were Rowett buys or ones he deemed ready to bring through from the U21 side! So if it‘s them that are at fault, then it’s down to Rowett as he bought/brought through players who aren’t skilful enough and/or are unable to do the basics! If it’s not down to the players then it’s down to the training! Either way, the buck stops with Rowett!

Do you ever watch teams warming up ? They all set up in small groups of 3 or 4 one chasing the rest passing in a small area.
That's why anyone who knows about coaching or has played at a high level knows the more confined the space the more accurate you need to be.
My old Grandad told me it's better to keep your mouth shut a be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!!!!!!!!!!
I’ll ignore your cheap shot at the end of your post and refer you to what I’ve said to Brusselslion and Robbo up thread!

Either it’s the players lack of skill that Rowett bought or brought through the U21’s, or it’s his training methods! Either way, it’s down to Rowett and he has to sort it out somehow before Stoke on Saturday!

I’ll ignore your cheap shot at the end of your post and refer you to what I’ve said to Brusselslion and Robbo up thread!

Either it’s the players lack of skill that Rowett bought or brought through the U21’s, or it’s his training methods! Either way, it’s down to Rowett and he has to sort it out somehow before Stoke on Saturday!
Oh it wasn't cheap
You do your best to confirm it on a daily basis with your war and peace posts of open questions, you do realise that running one lap of an area of 1 mile circumference is the same as running twice round one of 1/2 a mile Boom and your smaller pitch theory is blown out the water

A CB seems like a must to me. Cresswell greatly improved our back line when he got up to speed after a slow start.
I agree. There 's little point in having ball player in the middle on up top if don't have centre halves and wing backs that can't pass to feet or cross. Bryan ceratinly can and so can Harding. Think it's time that we thought about moving Cooper on and relacing an ageing Hutchinson.

Wallace is hot and cold but can use both his feet. Danny won't push on or improve all the while he can't cross a ball properly. You need capable footballers in this division otherwise we'll be left behind. I think that is half our problem, we haven't the natural ball players that most other teams have and it's showing. You can't get away with having a team of rugged battlers cause they'll only get you so far. Bottom eight and fighting relegation. Rowett is addressing that b ut it isn't cheap or easy to find those players that'll fit in with what we've already got. Desperately need 3 technically adept defenders.

Oh it wasn't cheap
You do your best to confirm it on a daily basis with your war and peace posts of open questions, you do realise that running one lap of an area of 1 mile circumference is the same as running twice round one of 1/2 a mile Boom and your smaller pitch theory is blown out the water
I see you didn’t answer my questions in my 2nd paragraph though, did you?