N/W Fascinating Little Bermondsey Doc

View attachment 25062

Berm on sea it was once called
After WWII, sandbags were emptied into the Thames that formed a “beach”, adjacent to the Tower of London, which remained for many years until eventually washed away by the tides.

At low tide it was a regular occurrence for the public to get onto the “beach”.

No health and safety in those days with paddling and swimming in the Thames and merchant ships moored opposite and between the Tower of London and London Bridge. It may sound surreal but it’s true 🤷‍♂️

Many were the times my Nan’s neighbour took me there to play on the “beach”👍

I could be one of the kids in that picture 😲

That is the beach Djacent to Tower Bridge and was accessed from the Tower of London by a ship's accommodation ladder which was the only piece of wreckage.picked up when the AMC "Rawalpindi' was sunk by the "Admiral Scheer" in the North Atlantic in 1939. The captain of the "Rawalpindi" was Ludovic Kennedy's father and I think his fight to protect the Convoy he was awarded the Victoria Cross" posthumouslyMagnificent display of.courage..

The Courage's brewery was on the South Side of the Thames and was called.'The "Albion Brewery"

The tug moored on the Admiralty buoy is one of.Gaselee tugs. Looks like the "GNAT"
They named their tugs after insects.

You may notice.that the.bridge has just being lowered or raised by the lay of the vascular

After WWII, sandbags were emptied into the Thames that formed a “beach”, adjacent to the Tower of London, which remained for many years until eventually washed away by the tides.

At low tide it was a regular occurrence for the public to get onto the “beach”.

No health and safety in those days with paddling and swimming in the Thames and merchant ships moored opposite and between the Tower of London and London Bridge. It may sound surreal but it’s true 🤷‍♂️

Many were the times my Nan’s neighbour took me there to play on the “beach”👍

I could be one of the kids in that picture 😲
That's a great memory 😍

Me and my old man used to walk from Peckham to Billingsgate on a Saturday morning to get winkles, cockles, kippers and other bits. Would always go onto the beach when the tide was out along tower bridge.

That is the beach Djacent to Tower Bridge and was accessed from the Tower of London by a ship's accommodation ladder which was the only piece of wreckage.picked up when the AMC "Rawalpindi' was sunk by the "Admiral Scheer" in the North Atlantic in 1939. The captain of the "Rawalpindi" was Ludovic Kennedy's father and I think his fight to protect the Convoy he was awarded the Victoria Cross" posthumouslyMagnificent display of.courage..

The Courage's brewery was on the South Side of the Thames and was called.'The "Albion Brewery"

The tug moored on the Admiralty buoy is one of.Gaselee tugs. Looks like the "GNAT"
They named their tugs after insects.

You may notice.that the.bridge has just being lowered or raised by the lay of the vascular
Great stuff, Obeney.

Beach Tea shirts I can remember just finished work and wearing one going to the crown and anchor on a Friday afternoon for a friendly game against his funny old turnout