Millwall

Something i wrote during lockdown when i was missing Millwall

I miss

Getting my best clobber ready.
The phone calls and messages with life long mates to make plans.
Waking up and knowing that within an hour i'll be with life long mates.
Putting on my bet and remembering my old man saying never back Millwall.

Sitting in Manzes and hearing that wonderful south London accent.
The old boys and girls tucking into double double whilst joking and recounting tales of old.Walking into the booze to be greeted by all manner of loons both young and old. The banter and stories form the week just passed. The piss taking and ribbing- no one does it better than us!

The walk down the back streets that i first did with my dad over 40 year ago.
Recalling battles that we had with old foes.The tingle and goosebumps that i still get as we walk past the old place and where the love affair started. The sound of the monks chant as we get nearer the Den. Seeing generations of wall and the families chucking spare coin into the collection buckets. The walk through the carpark, the handshakes and nods. Hello mate, you sweet? Hope the family is well! The shouts of allright mate i'll see you in there.

The smell of manky burgers, hotdogs and fried onions. Programs get your programs. The click of the turnstiles. More nods, handshakes and piss taking. Facing those steps that elevate you to the stand. Seeing the lush green pitch and Den in all it's glory. More hugs and handshakes as you get to your seat. Chucking the habitual wanker sign to some trampy northerners to my left. Londons calling belting out on the tannoy.

The lions running out on to the pitch to great cheer. It's Saturday down cold blow lane we've all come down to cheer, come rain or shine all the time,,,,,,,,,,
The feeling of being at home with one big family. No one likes us ringing around the ground. Lino you're a cunt. Shit refs we always get shit refs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ending up two rows from my seat after the ball hits the back of the net. The nerves, the hope, the joy, the smiles, the doubt and elation again as the ref blows for full time and we've won. The world is a better place and your weeks been sorted. Seeing the youngens bouncing around to rocking all over the world. The walk home with a small on your face.

Let em come.
Brilliant and poetical mate 👍 OMG it’s so in your heart and so I applaud you sir or as it’s the Wall family maybe ‘brother’ is more pertinent? TTKK 😉

Brilliant and poetical mate
I wrote it when i was really low and going through a very tough time. Remind myself of good things about life, that i could rely on Millwall people and my Millwall mind set to get though very tough and unsettling period times. The lockdown. My business folded and died. I lost thousands upon thousands of pounds that i'd put into some projects. My Mrs was locked down the other side of the world and not allowed to get back.

No Millwall. Hadn't seen mates i'd see every day for months. Close friends lost loved ones and a few people i know ended up in intensive care with the virus. Was a real test and for the first time since i'd stopped drinking that i felt i had no control over anything. If it wasn't for this place and a pen and some paper i would have gone a bit nutty.

I passed on to my son what my dad passed onto me about being Millwall. In tough times or when you're being tested remind yourself that you're Millwall stock who fear no foe and who don't shy away from a challenge. My son did exactly that when he was doing his A levels. He was struggling with the work load and then in the actual exam.- accountancy.

He said he wasn't confident and was worried he fail. He put his pen down, closed his eyes and thought about millwall and did a monks chant under his breath :grinning: He's now 23 and earning a very good wedge with a top accountancy firm in Canary wharf.

My son and his boys are on holidays. Would have loved for them to share today’s experience with me 😢

I’m sure we’ll show the Berylson clan how much we admired, respected and, dare I say, loved JB👍

Just pray the team doesn’t let them, and us, down 🙏

For sure, it’s a day we’ll all remember for the rest of our lives!

Last edited:
I wrote it when i was really low and going through a very tough time. Remind myself of good things about life, that i could rely on Millwall people and my Millwall mind set to get though very tough and unsettling period times. The lockdown. My business folded and died. I lost thousands upon thousands of pounds that i'd put into some projects. My Mrs was locked down the other side of the world and not allowed to get back.

No Millwall. Hadn't seen mates i'd see every day for months. Close friends lost loved ones and a few people i know ended up in intensive care with the virus. Was a real test and for the first time since i'd stopped drinking that i felt i had no control over anything. If it wasn't for this place and a pen and some paper i would have gone a bit nutty.

I passed on to my son what my dad passed onto me about being Millwall. In tough times or when you're being tested remind yourself that you're Millwall stock who fear no foe and who don't shy away from a challenge. My son did exactly that when he was doing his A levels. He was struggling with the work load and then in the actual exam.- accountancy.

He said he wasn't confident and was worried he fail. He put his pen down, closed his eyes and thought about millwall and did a monks chant under his breath :grinning: He's now 23 and earning a very good wedge with a top accountancy firm in Canary wharf.
Great post mate, as was your original one. Definitely something unique about being Millwall, when my business went under and my old man died, being Millwall was a big part of keeping me going. Even brought laughs when the doughnuts at the crem played the reggae version of Let 'em Come as we left, my Mum turned to me and asked if I wanted it changed, I said no leave it, he'd have found it funny, we'll play it properly back at the house. Silly story, but this club holds a lot of us together. Today will be special.

Enjoy the day everyone, following Millwall is a feeling that is difficult to explain, unless you follow Millwall. Every time I travel to the Den I have this expectation of what the day might bring, sometimes you end up disappointed, others times elated. What I always get is the feeling of coming home and being among my own. Once a lion always a lion.

Replying to Hastings, but Same as that. Weird lot, different groups but all drinking cans of Peroni. Just noticed their KO is 12.30, fuck leaving it this late, we won't get to St Pancras till 11.30

Brilliant. And love the stuff about your boy. In the end our kids are everything. I used to say you're only as happy as your most unhappy kid. Leaving now. Miiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll!!!!!

Something i wrote during lockdown when i was missing Millwall

I miss

Getting my best clobber ready.
The phone calls and messages with life long mates to make plans.
Waking up and knowing that within an hour i'll be with life long mates.
Putting on my bet and remembering my old man saying never back Millwall.

Sitting in Manzes and hearing that wonderful south London accent.
The old boys and girls tucking into double double whilst joking and recounting tales of old.Walking into the booze to be greeted by all manner of loons both young and old. The banter and stories form the week just passed. The piss taking and ribbing- no one does it better than us!

The walk down the back streets that i first did with my dad over 40 year ago.
Recalling battles that we had with old foes.The tingle and goosebumps that i still get as we walk past the old place and where the love affair started. The sound of the monks chant as we get nearer the Den. Seeing generations of wall and the families chucking spare coin into the collection buckets. The walk through the carpark, the handshakes and nods. Hello mate, you sweet? Hope the family is well! The shouts of allright mate i'll see you in there.

The smell of manky burgers, hotdogs and fried onions. Programs get your programs. The click of the turnstiles. More nods, handshakes and piss taking. Facing those steps that elevate you to the stand. Seeing the lush green pitch and Den in all it's glory. More hugs and handshakes as you get to your seat. Chucking the habitual wanker sign to some trampy northerners to my left. Londons calling belting out on the tannoy.

The lions running out on to the pitch to great cheer. It's Saturday down cold blow lane we've all come down to cheer, come rain or shine all the time,,,,,,,,,,
The feeling of being at home with one big family. No one likes us ringing around the ground. Lino you're a cunt. Shit refs we always get shit refs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ending up two rows from my seat after the ball hits the back of the net. The nerves, the hope, the joy, the smiles, the doubt and elation again as the ref blows for full time and we've won. The world is a better place and your weeks been sorted. Seeing the youngens bouncing around to rocking all over the world. The walk home with a small on your face.

Let em come.
Love this, PL. Runs like a film of memories in my mind. The sights, sounds and smells evoking the memories from my last 30 odd years of going to Millwall.

I enjoy reading threads like these but always feel a bit envious of generations of families being involved with the club and bringing on the next lot. My journey to Millwall was very different.

Never lived in South London apart from a 3 week lie down in Wandsworth after a tear up at the Scrubs! Not sure that counts!! Nor was I aware of any family connection with the club although the old man told me many years later that a couple of his cousins who worked the docks used to go. Never got to meet them. He claimed to support Arsenal but I only knew of him going to one game of football and that wasn’t even them! He’d watch games on the tele and always had an opinion but didn’t really show a passion for the game as he did for rugby or cricket.

The old man was in the RAF so, as a family, we initially followed him on his postings. My twin brother and I were born in Perivale and then moved with him to Cumbria where 2 other brothers were born, onto Germany for a couple of years and then back to England. Lived initially with his parents in Romford and then bought a house near by where we stayed while he carried on in the RAF and came home only on leave or when he was posted close to home. First game I was ever aware of was the 1958 cup final post-Munich air crash. Watched it on black and white tele at a mate’s house. Started to follow Man Utd and would see them when they played in London. In between would sometimes watch Romford in the Southern league or Grays in the Athenian league where I went to school.

Got to 16/17 and felt I couldn’t, in all honesty, watch Man Utd while living round London so would go for something more appropriate. Unlike the song, my Mum suggested West Ham – “they’re a nice team” – and it was just after the World Cup. For me, when your Mum tells you something is “nice”, you look for something that definitely isn’t. Ended up at Millwall and after sampling life on CBL I was hooked and have been ever since. Tried to get my kids involved but neither really interested in football but have come on the odd occasion so the line will probably die out with me but nice to know there are many more Wall keeping the tradition going.