Millwall v Ipswich match day thread

Crowd will make a big difference come Saturday. It wasn’t an enjoyable watch but as you rightly pointed out it’s a preseason game with absolutely nothing riding on it. The lack of commitment at times from both teams in the first half for a tackle was clear to see. It’s just frustrating that’s all. Buzzing before hand but couldn’t wait for it to end turn 75 minutes.

I think so too.

Not been very good at all today. They are nowhere near the Swedes in terms of quality yet we haven't match the performance from the other night at all and we look sluggish and sloppy.

It looks like we don't know where to play Flemming and it also looks like the other players are not on his wavelength and he is also trying a bit too hard. I think he is a No. 10 behind a striker. Honeyman is playing as the No.10 and I think it wastes his energy in the centre of midfield.

Malone has been terrible. Loose passes, erratic. I think Murray is a better bet at LWB which would allow Cresswell to play at CB.

Plusses have been Shackleton who is all action and Honeyman again who works his nuts off.
No not great was it? Thankfully no points won or lost! Big hi to Della who I met today & I know visits here! 👋🏼

I have complete trust in Rowett. He always finds a way to get results when it matters. We weren't good today, we were off the pace and jaded but we were good on Wednesday. It's pre-season and it doesn't matter. The biggest issue for me is finding the right role for Flemming. He had no room on Wednesday and played a different position today. I think you play him behind the striker or strikers as a No.10 and trust his intelligence to find the spaces because there is no doubt he's a very good player. It may take time, that's all. Honeyman played that role today and was good but he is better in central midfield IMO where he played against the Swedes and was all action. I'd love us to get another striker in and I'm sure Rowett does but everyone wants a striker and finding one isn't easy.

The thing we have this season is a deeper squad with better players who offer different options and strengths. We will be bang up for it on Saturday, absolutely no question about it.

And we're off...
Only a couple of weeks of friendlies behind us. Players not up to full fitness levels yet. New arrivals that need to bed in. Players cautious of fucking up their season with an injury during a nothing match. Lots of subs. Empty stadiums. No real rhythm and positional understanding yet. None of it is unique to 'Wall.

I can't see how any of the above has anything to do with GR's style or tactical nous. It's all really just your usual pre-season kick around shenanigans.

Fuck me, already 'The Haters Arms' door is ajar, with the fresh smell of impending doom and failure, along with the manager doesn't know what he's doing wafting out of the place...

:grinning:
How comes Ipswich played with flow and structure and we didn’t?

And we're off...
Only a couple of weeks of friendlies behind us. Players not up to full fitness levels yet. New arrivals that need to bed in. Players cautious of fucking up their season with an injury during a nothing match. Lots of subs. Empty stadiums. No real rhythm and positional understanding yet. None of it is unique to 'Wall.

I can't see how any of the above has anything to do with GR's style or tactical nous. It's all really just your usual pre-season kick around shenanigans.

Fuck me, already 'The Haters Arms' door is ajar, with the fresh smell of impending doom and failure, along with the manager doesn't know what he's doing wafting out of the place...

:grinning:
I don’t think anyone on here is blaming GR for the poor result today. This is down to the players not performing as we and them know that they can!

Supporters say, “Oh, it’s only a friendly,” or “it’s all about the players fitness,” the latter of which is true, but it’s also about winning games! Winning becomes a habit (or it should do), regardless of whether it’s a friendly, a league game or a cup game! Winning breeds confidence and players need to be performing in pre season to take them into the first game of the season!

Personally think we’ve had a poor pre season. Palace game was good in that we scored 4, but bad that we conceded 5! Performance wise, Dartford was lacklustre, and against Colchester felt we were disjointed, as we were against Ipswich! It was only against Hammersby where we looked a proper team, with good, all round performances that held their own against a good Swedish team!

I‘m confident that GR will pick the right team and formation against Stoke next Saturday! That’s all he can do. It’s in that first 45 minutes where the players have to play with the right mind set, as well as needing to work together to create chances and score goals! GR can switch things round at half time (if need be), but again it’s down to the players to perform. Think it would be a signal of our intent if we could comprehensively beat Stoke 3 or 4 nil next Saturday. That would give the players and supporters a much needed boost, going into the away cup game against Cambridge, followed by our 1st away league game at Sheff Utd. Win all 3 and we really will be off to a flyer!

F$$$ me.............................Ive got to say, talk about doom and F$$$ing gloom

Just days ago, we were going straight up, and now.....?????? open the haters arms

Harris out
JB out
Sack the board
GR out

I dont give a flying F£££ about the pre season. How many years do we get into top gear after Christmas ......... or have a bad pre season and do really well ......

If we dont have a great season, it sure wont be for the want of trying, and buying.

I'll back him all the way, maybe GR doesnt want to be readable, so as the other teams have no idea either...........

Everyone needs to just chill out .................
This.100%.

I don’t think anyone on here is blaming GR for the poor result today. This is down to the players not performing as we and them know that they can!

Supporters say, “Oh, it’s only a friendly,” or “it’s all about the players fitness,” the latter of which is true, but it’s also about winning games! Winning becomes a habit (or it should do), regardless of whether it’s a friendly, a league game or a cup game! Winning breeds confidence and players need to be performing in pre season to take them into the first game of the season!

Personally think we’ve had a poor pre season. Palace game was good in that we scored 4, but bad that we conceded 5! Performance wise, Dartford was lacklustre, and against Colchester felt we were disjointed, as we were against Ipswich! It was only against Hammersby where we looked a proper team, with good, all round performances that held their own against a good Swedish team!

I‘m confident that GR will pick the right team and formation against Stoke next Saturday! That’s all he can do. It’s in that first 45 minutes where the players have to play with the right mind set, as well as needing to work together to create chances and score goals! GR can switch things round at half time (if need be), but again it’s down to the players to perform. Think it would be a signal of our intent if we could comprehensively beat Stoke 3 or 4 nil next Saturday. That would give the players and supporters a much needed boost, going into the away cup game against Cambridge, followed by our 1st away league game at Sheff Utd. Win all 3 and we really will be off to a flyer!

That looks like far too much serious, surgical reading material, for the third week of July, especially on a Sunday morning and when the season hasn't yet started.

I'll pass on that...but thanks all the same.

😁

Supporters say, “Oh, it’s only a friendly,” or “it’s all about the players fitness,” the latter of which is true, but it’s also about winning games!
It's not. Never has been. It's about getting minutes under your belt and not getting injured. There is/ was no competetive edge from our players in what was a monetized training match. It will take a certain amount of games for the new players to bed in. According to the forums we were going to be relgated last January, just missed the play offs in May.

Think it would be a signal of our intent if we could comprehensively beat Stoke 3 or 4 nil next Saturday.
That would give the players and supporters a much needed boost, going into the away cup game against Cambridge, followed by our 1st away league game at Sheff Utd. Win all 3 and we really will be off to a flyer!
It's the hope that kills you!

Last edited: