Millwall v Ipswich match day thread

The whole preseason games have overall been poor, just limited patches of good stuff. We may now have some better players but it’s still GR style - hopefully we win against Stoke and my glass will be half full!

It all changes next week.
I have said it before, pre season games mean nothing.
We don't know what players have been told about intensity, how hard to work.
Yes, it was a difficult watch, but you shouldn't expect anything else really.
It's be nice to sign a striker before next week.

Tough one today, but as ever a flat back five, leaves us short in midfield, and invites every team into us, and leaves short in possession, resulting in a lot of running around to no effect. Some plus,s Billy, Honeyman, Shackleton, Afobe and Murray but some so far off the pace , Hutchison, Fleming and Malone, although glimpses of him going forward. I fear Hutch as skipper might be tricky, currently if going three, it has to be Cresswell, Cooper and Murray

What was telling for me is that the subs who came on, didn’t improve us, and there seemed to be no interest or desire from those players to say to GR, “Right, you chose X over me in the starting line up, and now I’m gonna show you that you were wrong to do so, and I will make a difference!”

I really thought with the new signings being able to play different positions, that that in itself would buck up the ideas of players like Malone, who seem to just coast through games, knowing that he doesn’t have to play well to get a game each week!

Players like him and Evans need moving on, sharpish, and today’s performance must tell GR that we need a fox in the box forward, especially as Bradshaw hasn’t played a lot in the pre season friendlies, and looks as rusty as hell!

Mason has looked a bit sharper when he’s come on in these friendlies (compared to Bradshaw), and I wonder if GR will play him alongside Afobe, and stick Bradshaw on the bench against Stoke?

Disappointing 1st half. No flow or pattern to our play. By now, would have expected a better style with our new signings and with a week to go, a bit worrying. There’s little transition of ball from back to front - in fact, Ipswich seem more polished on the ball.
Fleming a bit out of touch but to be honest, he’s getting crap supply. Afoebi poor ball control is getting frustrating. Again, Honeyman the standout. COYL
Spot on agree with all that..

Not been very good at all today. They are nowhere near the Swedes in terms of quality yet we haven't match the performance from the other night at all and we look sluggish and sloppy.

It looks like we don't know where to play Flemming and it also looks like the other players are not on his wavelength and he is also trying a bit too hard. I think he is a No. 10 behind a striker. Honeyman is playing as the No.10 and I think it wastes his energy in the centre of midfield.

Malone has been terrible. Loose passes, erratic. I think Murray is a better bet at LWB which would allow Cresswell to play at CB.

Plusses have been Shackleton who is all action and Honeyman again who works his nuts off.
We should all remember it took Morrison about 10 games before he could even trap the ball. Granted he didn't cost 1.7m

What was telling for me is that the subs who came on, didn’t improve us, and there seemed to be no interest or desire from those players to say to GR, “Right, you chose X over me in the starting line up, and now I’m gonna show you that you were wrong to do so, and I will make a difference!”

I really thought with the new signings being able to play different positions, that that in itself would buck up the ideas of players like Malone, who seem to just coast through games, knowing that he doesn’t have to play well to get a game each week!

Players like him and Evans need moving on, sharpish, and today’s performance must tell GR that we need a fox in the box forward, especially as Bradshaw hasn’t played a lot in the pre season friendlies, and looks as rusty as hell!

Mason has looked a bit sharper when he’s come on in these friendlies (compared to Bradshaw), and I wonder if GR will play him alongside Afobe, and stick Bradshaw on the bench against Stoke?
But there were 5 subs in one hit,never going to happen in a real game unless youre Hollaway

I’m not sure what our plan is going forward. In ‘88 it was 4-4-2 with a target man and two pacey wingers. Under Harris it was direct balls into the channels. With Rowett it was 5 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders and Jed to get us up the pitch. With Jed gone what does he plan to do now? Today we played a league 1 team at home and struggled to hold the ball and were blunt up front.

I think he will start with the same back 5 as last year. McNamara, Hutchinson, Cooper, Murray, Malone. Midfield Honeyman first on sheet then Mitchell. I think has to persist with Fleming in the hole behind Afobe and start with Bennett. Not saying that's what I would do just think what Rowett will go with

I think he will start with the same back 5 as last year. McNamara, Hutchinson, Cooper, Murray, Malone. Midfield Honeyman first on sheet then Mitchell. I think has to persist with Fleming in the hole behind Afobe and start with Bennett. Not saying that's what I would do just think what Rowett will go with
I would go back 4, McNamara, Cresswell hutchinson, Murray. Midfield of Shackleton, Honeyman, Mitchell, fleming, two up front Afobe and Bennet. As starting 11.