Millwall and the FA cup.

Peckham Lion

Staff member
As it's a cup weekend and the 3rd round is upon us i thought this would make a good subject thread considering our exploits in the FA cup down the years. Okay the Sunderland semi final is probably a given but other than that what are your favourite cup games, memories from seasons past?

Mine- a few from my teens to start. Sadly absolutely no footage on film of the 3-2 win away at Chelsea back in 85. Same season we beat the Nigels and LeIcester in front of a crowd of 16,160. The biggest crowd that i'd seen at the Den.They were big scalps for us, a third division side beating two division one teams. Everton at the Den under Harris. You can't beat an injury time winner!!

Many more but over to you

1704244476745.jpeg

Dave Savage equalising at Stamford Bridge to make it 1-1 then going to pens. 5 immaculate pens from us then kasey Keller saves their 5th pen. Fkg pandemonium. I got home at 8.40am the following day. Battered and bruised but laughing my head off. The scaffolding non permanent stands and looking David Mellor inbtheceye behind Plus when we triumphed.

Making our way back to the car with my brother when we're discovered by a mob of rabid Chelsea fans. We literally fought for our lives and were semi unconscious by the time the old bill intervened and stuck us on a taxi rank Office to recover while the emergency services were called which we didn't need. Happy all the while that we'd done the cnuts

27 January 1957: Millwall 2 Newcastle 1 Att 45,646 (and probably a lot more 😉). Stan Anslow (a converted fullback) scored 2 (that I don’t remember 🤦‍♂️) but I do remember the Newcastle goal, Bill Lloyd (our keeper) went down at the feet of their striker in a 1v1, got laid out and they scored 🤷‍♂️. Wouldn’t have been allowed nowadays.

16 February 1957: Lions 1 Birmingham City 4 Att 42,595. I stood on the concrete ledge over the Ilderton Road entrance, repeatedly refusing the police’s instructions to get down😉. Although we lost my abiding memory is of Birmingham’s giant England keeper Gil Merrick making save after save. I think Birmingham lost in the final to Man City. There’s a 1.26 minute Pathe News YouTube clip on the internet (look at the crowd and pitch)!

28 January 1967: Millwall 0 Tottenham 0 Att 41,260. Don’t remember much about the game except Greaves was playing for them.

1 February 1967: Tottenham 1 Millwall 0 Att 58,189. Just managed to get in the ground before it was closed. Thousands of disappointed fans outside. Gave a very good account of ourselves and lost to a Alan Gilzean goal gained (allegedly) by him shouting to Tommy Wilson (I think) to leave it allowing to race through and slot home 🤬

18 January 1995: Arsenal 0 Millwall 2 (Mark Beard and Mark Kennedy) Att 32,319. Remember both goals vividly. At the time I’d been unemployed for a couple of months and worried about the future so didn’t enjoy the game as much as I should’ve and couldn’t afford to watch the next round victory over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 😞

4 April 2004: Sunderland 0 Millwall 1 Old Trafford Att 56,112. Timmy’s goal, years of dreaming over :wahey: and the end of our promotion campaign that season 🤬

22 May 2004: Man United 3 Lions 0. Millennium Stadium Att 71,350. Outclassed but what a fabulous weekend. Cost an arm and a leg to take the entire family to Cardiff, staying overnight in Gloucester but well worth it 👍. Remember eating at a Little Chef on the morning and a group of Man United fans pushing a waitress over and doing a runner to avoid paying 🤬. Absolutely no class at all :shake:

Many, many more but you don’t want to be bored by me!

The spurs one was greaves who got the back pass Leslie saved it and it bounced in the air and that slimmy gilzean headed it in I was probably ten yards away after bunking off school got in the ground at 4 o'clock

2-0 at Highbury, no expectations before the game just a good night out with 5,000 wall.
Turned out to be easier than I thought and Kennedy set off my most memorable image of Wall, whilst we were all going mad celebrating the goal I turned round and behind me was an old boy in his 80's with the look of delight on his face that said 'I can die a happy man now'.

Of the 9,000 tickets we should get at Arsenal, I wonder if we would actually get 5,000 again.

2-0 at Highbury, no expectations before the game just a good night out with 5,000 wall.
Turned out to be easier than I thought and Kennedy set off my most memorable image of Wall, whilst we were all going mad celebrating the goal I turned round and behind me was an old boy in his 80's with the look of delight on his face that said 'I can die a happy man now'.

Of the 9,000 tickets we should get at Arsenal, I wonder if we would actually get 5,000 again.
I thought we had 10,000 there? It certainly sounded like it 😉

Same as a lot Chelsea away, Sunderland, Leicester Home in 80's and the more recent last min winner
Another bit more random - Rotherham home replay late 70's (Kitch scored with a header)- my first Millwall night game, went with mates from Forest Hill School, previously I went to watch West Ham as my older brother supported them - small crowd, but the atmosphere and being with South Londoners just felt at home - never went to West Ham again other than to watch Millwall

The two Fulham games in January 1965 hold some special memories. 3-1 down at one stage to draw 3-3, also we missed a penalty. The Fulham manager said after the game it might as well have been an home game for Millwall. Our contingent showed what support we gave the boys that afternoon. Manager Billy Gray saluted the fans for the noisy atmosphere we created.

Even though Millwall were a 4th Division side, I think most us expected to beat 1st Division Fulham in the Monday night replay, and we did. Exceptional support once again.

The two Fulham games in January 1965 hold some special memories. 3-1 down at one stage to draw 3-3, also we missed a penalty. The Fulham manager said after the game it might as well have been an home game for Millwall. Our contingent showed what support we gave the boys that afternoon. Manager Billy Gray saluted the fans for the noisy atmosphere we created.

Even though Millwall were a 4th Division side, I think most us expected to beat 1st Division Fulham in the Monday night replay, and we did. Exceptional support once again.
Got in at half time 3-1down Jimmy whitouse volley over Tony macedos head 13 years old at the time can't remember the missed pen but remember the replay two days later think they had a few england international players and our old friend bobby Robson they fuckin melted it was hostile

Both Fulham games in 65, both Spurs games, got on a bus at Catford straight from school, made my way up to WHL, cannot recall the journey, met up with family outside the ground. Never seen so many Millwall supporters at an away game, except for Cup semi and Wembley.

Got in at half time 3-1down Jimmy whitouse volley over Tony macedos head 13 years old at the time can't remember the missed pen but remember the replay two days later think they had a few england international players and our old friend bobby Robson they fuckin melted it was hostile
“Tony macedos only 13 years old!” Must have been easy to get it over his head. 🤫

Both Fulham games in 65, both Spurs games, got on a bus at Catford straight from school, made my way up to WHL, cannot recall the journey, met up with family outside the ground. Never seen so many Millwall supporters at an away game, except for Cup semi and Wembley.
Same , both ends and the shelf all millwall and more outside

Dave Savage equalising at Stamford Bridge to make it 1-1 then going to pens. 5 immaculate pens from us then kasey Keller saves their 5th pen. Fkg pandemonium. I got home at 8.40am the following day. Battered and bruised but laughing my head off. The scaffolding non permanent stands and looking David Mellor inbtheceye behind Plus when we triumphed.

Making our way back to the car with my brother when we're discovered by a mob of rabid Chelsea fans. We literally fought for our lives and were semi unconscious by the time the old bill intervened and stuck us on a taxi rank Office to recover while the emergency services were called which we didn't need. Happy all the while that we'd done the cnuts
DItto, mental game. Was the away at spurs fa or league cup? That was a high scoring game 3-3 i think. i enjoyed that game.

Went to most if not all the games mentioned on here. The only one I didn't get in to see was the away to Spurs as I was dragged down by old bill trying to climb the stadium perimeter wall. Apart from the semi, the 2 most enjoyable were the away and home against Fulham. We were 4th division and they were 1st. Happy days.

Oh and the 2 away 2-0 wins against Everton and Arsenal. Very happy days.

My personal favourite was 19/02/1985 v Leicester City.
A cold February night, just turned 16 years old and jam packed in at the CBL, all I remember was was the Fash goal and how mental the crowd went, it was the cream on top of wins against Palace and Chelsea.

remember thinking at the time please don't let rhino take one he put right in the top corner

As it's a cup weekend and the 3rd round is upon us i thought this would make a good subject thread considering our exploits in the FA cup down the years. Okay the Sunderland semi final is probably a given but other than that what are your favourite cup games, memories from seasons past?

Mine- a few from my teens to start. Sadly absolutely no footage on film of the 3-2 win away at Chelsea back in 85. Same season we beat the Nigels and LeIcester in front of a crowd of 16,160. The biggest crowd that i'd seen at the Den.They were big scalps for us, a third division side beating two division one teams. Everton at the Den under Harris. You can't beat an injury time winner!!

Many more but over to you

View attachment 24858
The Leicester city game was a great night linker and smith up top for them

What a result and all achieved with just ten men because a certain Alistair Edwards was non existent :grinning: