Millwall Accounts 22/23

£11m revenue (minus Sky) seems pretty low. Season tickets should bring £2m, 10k other tickets per game, is around £5m. That means around £4m a year from Exec Club, boxes, sponsorship, merchandise, food and drink sales and any other activities - cup games, room hire etc. Must be scope to increase this

Figures were based on last season. Next season’s account will show the real impact of the highest gates we’ve had this year & fingers crossed moving forward it continues to improve.

£11m revenue (minus Sky) seems pretty low. Season tickets should bring £2m, 10k other tickets per game, is around £5m. That means around £4m a year from Exec Club, boxes, sponsorship, merchandise, food and drink sales and any other activities - cup games, room hire etc. Must be scope to increase this
They are probably comping fat dan's steak bakes, that needs to stop

One of the main reason I would opt to sell Flemming if the money was correct. As would I let some of big earners who are inconsistent go.
But he could be consistent next season just as he was last. That could mean flirting with the play offs. It could mean millions in extra revenue. It's hard to judge or dismiss a player who's been part of a struggling team that has no fit strikers. If we had a ready made and cheaper replacement than perhaps but i don't think we'll ever go up if we sell our best players.

If players were consistently good they'd be playing for more money at a higher level. Players are at the clubs they're with for a good reason.

One of the main reason I would opt to sell Flemming if the money was correct. As would I let some of big earners who are inconsistent go. The club has to be ruthless to be sustainable.
Not true. We have to be prudent, We could have sold Twinklebollox in his prime for £5/£10 million. We could also have been relegated and had we done so that would have costs a lot more than £5/£10 million in lost revenue.

Squad size 26, average age 26

23/24 spent 6.59-sold 0
22/23 spent 2.50-sold 0
21/22 spent 1.80-sold 0
20/21 spent 0 sold 0
19/20 spent 1.95-sold 0
Total spend 12.84 – 0 = (12.84)

Birmingham sold well and look where that's got them,

Birmingham
Squad size 31, average age 25

23/24 spent 5.08-sold 6.45
22/23 spent 2.21-sold 0.600
21/22 spent 0-sold 0.350
20/21 spent 8.34sold 32.85
19/20 spent 10.28-sold 23.80
Total spend 25.91 – 64.05 = 38.14

Last edited:
I do worry how long James B and family will keep putting in this ridiculous amount of personal money just to keep us going. I understand after JB's shocking passing that they continued in the immediate aftermath, but for how long? Without a shadow of doubt JB and family have been our best ever owners and its indescribable just how much they have done for us, and at the moment continue to do for our beloved Wall. But it's so unlikely they will ever see any of their annual tens of millions of £'s back, how long will they continue and what happens when they eventually leave us?

These huge losses leave us massively vulnerable. The very future of football is increasingly vulnerable. Chavski revenue £502M they then spend £1,500,000,000 on players that same accounting year. And sell a hotel complex to themselves to lessen the loss technically by £492M. They sold players for £220m who they paid £580M for and accounting rules meant they could show it as a P R O F I T !

It can't go on like this. We are all at the mercy of super rich benefactors who could get fed up, could lose their fortune or sell to incompetent idiots.

This isnt how its supposed to be or what our forebears had in mind in 1885 and throughout the history of our beautiful game invented by and supposedly an extension of the working class man.

We have come to take the wonderful Berylson family for granted, - but their generosity will not go on indefinitely.

I think it depends on whether James has carried on for his Dad or because he has a similar feeling for the club.
A bit of research will show that James has been brought up by a family of philanthropists and if they are continuing to make far more money than the 13m they give us then they might be happy to do so, James might want his kids to take over or he might have had enough in a year or two, only he knows but with what little knowledge we have it would indicate that the Berylson's are here to see through the regen.

Not true. We have to be prudent, We could have sold Twinklebollox in his prime for £5/£10 million. We could also have been relegated and had we done so that would have costs a lot more than £5/£10 million in lost revenue.

Squad size 26, average age 26

23/24 spent 6.59-sold 0
22/23 spent 2.50-sold 0
21/22 spent 1.80-sold 0
20/21 spent 0 sold 0
19/20 spent 1.95-sold 0
Total spend 12.84 – 0 = (12.84)

Birmingham sold well and look where that's got them,

Birmingham
Squad size 31, average age 25

23/24 spent 5.08-sold 6.45
22/23 spent 2.21-sold 0.600
21/22 spent 0-sold 0.350
20/21 spent 8.34sold 32.85
19/20 spent 10.28-sold 23.80
Total spend 25.91 – 64.05 = 38.14
Respectfully, Birmingham have different revenue comparisons. A club known for its troubles with chairman & silly spending problems. So many variables it’s not really comparable.

Millwall have already announced their accounts for this year & after reading what Kieran Maguire wrote, we’re already on a shoe string which is getting thinner.

I’m not saying Flemming isnt a good player as I rate him, but as a club like us, it’s about getting the value while you can & reinvesting again. The model has to be that if it turns out that in next years accounts, maximum gates for the majority of the season isn’t improving the finances.

The smaller clubs are adopting this & getting the most for their money.

If we got offered £7m+ for Flemming in the summer with a 1 year or so left, I would expect the club to bite their hand off.

Respectfully, Birmingham have different revenue comparisons. A club known for its troubles with chairman & silly spending problems. So many variables it’s not really comparable.
Birmingham is just one example that i used. Regardless of that ^^^^the figures are genuine.

Millwall have already announced their accounts for this year & after reading what Kieran Maguire wrote, we’re already on a shoe string which is getting thinner.
Which has been the case for pretty much our entire stay in this division. They be no less in the division below albeit on a lesser scale.

I’m not saying Flemming isnt a good player as I rate him, but as a club like us, it’s about getting the value while you can & reinvesting again.
I agree but there is also a right and wrong time to do that. We're trying to build a new team whilst retaining our divisional status. Flemming has contributed towards our healthy final league position which i believe is worth more than selling him for a few million profit.

If the board needed to sell him they would have last season and no doubt they will at some point but on our terms. We turned down good money and that tells you all you need to know. If there's no suitable and affordable replacement he won't be rushed out the door unless we're in dire need of cash.

We have come to take the wonderful Berylson family for granted, - but their generosity will not go on indefinitely.
They're venture capitalists and will get plenty back if they were to sell up. We're not a benevolence fund. On e hand borrows the other hand money. More often than not that money is paid back with interest or written off somewhere down the line and turned into shares.

They're venture capitalists and will get plenty back if they were to sell up. We're not a benevolence fund. On e hand borrows the other hand money. More often than not that money is paid back with interest or written off somewhere down the line and turned into shares.
Nice thought but it doesn't work like that.

On average they put in around £8Million per annum so far just to balance the books. Where do you think their £8Million repayment plus all that interest you speak of can possibly come from year in year out when even with their generosity of, taking this last financial year as the most up to date example, they have had to inject a further £22Million just to (not even) balance the books? We only generate £9M and the wage boll exceeds that kwt alone fixed and variable operational costs.

What do you estimate te sale of MFC to be then, which as a going concern loses between £7M and £22M every trading year?

Birmingham is just one example that i used. Regardless of that ^^^^the figures are genuine.

Which has been the case for pretty much our entire stay in this division. They be no less in the division below albeit on a lesser scale.

I agree but there is also a right and wrong time to do that. We're trying to build a new team whilst retaining our divisional status. Flemming has contributed towards our healthy final league position which i believe is worth more than selling him for a few million profit.

If the board needed to sell him they would have last season and no doubt they will at some point but on our terms. We turned down good money and that tells you all you need to know. If there's no suitable and affordable replacement he won't be rushed out the door unless we're in dire need of cash.

Flemming will be coming into his 3rd season next year anyway. Which means he will have 1 or maximum of 2 years left. I would be very surprised if the club don’t cash in fairly soon. Can’t be letting another player walk out the door for nothing again.

Nice thought but it doesn't work like that.

On average they put in around £8Million per annum so far just to balance the books. Where do you think their £8Million repayment plus all that interest you speak of can possibly come from year in year out when even with their generosity of, taking this last financial year as the most up to date example, they have had to inject a further £22Million just to (not even) balance the books? We only generate £9M and the wage boll exceeds that kwt alone fixed and variable operational costs.

What do you estimate te sale of MFC to be then, which as a going concern loses between £7M and £22M every trading year?
So what's in it for them? They're going to keep burning money on us cause we think they've caught the bug and they feel sorry for us? We're worth fuck all but the lease on the ground must be worth a few quid. What's the end game?

I think it has been said by the Berylsons that they aren't in it for profit and wouldn't get their money back if they sold.
JB fell in love with the club and had the opportunity to do what he wanted with the club.
The regen that we are allowed to develop needs a lot of money to come from somewhere and I would suggest that Chestnut Hill Ventures are someone who could fund it or know how to get it funded.
JB had said that when done it would be a source of income for the club so hopefully James ill see it through as his Dad hoped.
My take on the accounts is that we have a wage bill limit that allows the losses to be picked up by the Berylsons and stay within FFP, you also need to remember that it is likely that we will have to drop our wage bill that is 110% of income down to 70% in the future and with Kavanagh being on the EFL board he will know what there is to know about those details so it will be in our future planning.

So what's in it for them? They're going to keep burning money on us cause we think they've caught the bug and they feel sorry for us? We're worth fuck all but the lease on the ground must be worth a few quid. What's the end game?
I have no idea what's in it for them other than John B was (for whatever his personal reasons) fully committed to us, and at the moment & for the time being the family are honouring JB's commitment to us and long may that continue. But they're not getting their money back that's for sure, and each year they put further multi-millions in they ain't getting that back either. As many of us have acknowledged they ate the best owners & custodians we've probably ever had.

You just have to look around you at the state of the finances in our game. The nega money that cones in all goes out to the greedy players & agents. Barcelona & Real Nadrid ate virtually bsnkrupt, chavski bring in £500M and spend 3 x that same financial year on mediocre performing prima donnas, and the vast majority of smaller clubs are in serious financial peril.

English football has become a rich man's (and mega rich oil nation states at the top and sickest level) play things.

At least the Berylson's seem to have a genuine connection with us (for whatever reason you might want to speculate) unlike the majority of the orem club's owners. But we ate are a very long way from being self-sustaining according to the accounts. That's all I'm saying. I read and interpret accounts professionally and MFC's accounts and most of footballs accounts are not difficult to interpret re lack of sustainability (but for the individual clubs benefactors)

But they're not getting their money back that's for sure, and each year they put further multi-millions in they ain't getting that back either.
I'd question that statement. As i said they're not a charity they're venture capitalists. Nor do i for one minute think they're chucking lumps of dough in cause they're fond of us.

I'd question that statement. As i said they're not a charity they're venture capitalists. Nor do i for one minute think they're chucking lumps of dough in cause they're fond of us.
Question it all you like it doesn't alter the facts. Do you think Todd Beoley will get all of his hedge funds money back just coz he's a "venture capitalist"?

What part of my statement do you question fella?

Question it all you like it doesn't alter the facts.
What part of my statement do you question fella?
To start with you stating facts. What facts? And what the fuck has Chelsea' and Beoley got to do with Millwall?

What are the Berylsons doing owning a football club if all it does is lose money? Up to the time when Chesnut hill ventures stopped charging interest on the money it loaned Millwall the Berylsons were getting something back.

Theoretically they could fuck us over tomorrow and sell the lease on the land that we occupy. They will be involved in the regen and will profit in some way,

The Berylsons are good people that is not in question but they didn't buy Millwall to fall in love with it did they? Why would Chesnut hill ventures a venture capitalist buy a football club that sits on prime land five minutes by train into the city of London?

To start with you stating facts. What facts? And what the fuck has Chelsea' and Beoley got to do with Millwall?

What are the Berylsons doing owning a football club if all it does is lose money? Up to the time when Chesnut hill ventures stopped charging interest on the money it loaned Millwall the Berylsons were getting something back.

Theoretically they could fuck us over tomorrow and sell the lease on the land that we occupy. They will be involved in the regen and will profit in some way,

The Berylsons are good people that is not in question but they didn't buy Millwall to fall in love with it did they? Why would Chesnut hill ventures a venture capitalist buy a football club that sits on prime land five minutes by train into the city of London?
You're totally right Peckham, I've got it all wrong. The Berylson family are laughing with their Return on Investment and Chelsea have nothing to do with Millwall and as you allude to IF Todd Boely and his hedge fund lose all their billions that they've put into Chavski that'll be an isolated incident and it's in no way reflective of football in England.

My apologies mate, I just got my "facts" wrong but with best intentions. I simply misunderstood our annual accounts again