Millwall Accounts 22/23

The Club has submitted its accounts for last year. Headline figures are:

Revenue £19.3m
Wages £22.6m
losses (pre player sales) £13.7m
Player sales £2.7m
Player purchases £4.0m

JB has put an additional £17.0m into the club to balance the books.

How football manages to keep going as a going concern without wealthy owners covering losses is beyond me.

Relegation would be a total disaster. It would cost the club millions it simply does not have.

Staying in this league and being competitive is still a huge achievement on our budget and something we have done for the last several seasons. Maybe the fans dissatisfied with how the club is performing should have a serious think. The owners have put in £30 million in the past two seasons just to keep the club going. Yes, they are wealthy, but if they pulled the plug for whatever reason then where the fuck would we find that sort of money?

No problem mate. This one can be deleted. I just think it's important people see it. The Berylson family are the reason this club is still going.
This is absolutely correct, however they are allowed to offset taxes against business losses, so is not as bad as it appears financially for them.. nevertheless they're still in it and for that I'm personally grateful 🙏 👍

One of the main reason I would opt to sell Flemming if the money was correct. As would I let some of big earners who are inconsistent go. The club has to be ruthless to be sustainable.

Also, I know people would very much like to fuck SKY/TV companies off, but without their revenue and the hand downs from the PL, most lower league clubs would have really been in dire straights by now.

Obviously, I'm glad that the Berylsons have been prepared to finance the club. As fans, we want to see good signings every summer but those figures show how hard that is, especially when we're completing with clubs with far bigger budgets. However, if we're losing that amount of money, how far off getting a points deduction are we? I assume that most clubs are in a similar position with owners but as far as I know we're only allowed lose £13m a season but we seem to have gone over that.

The Club has submitted its accounts for last year. Headline figures are:

Revenue £19.3m
Wages £22.6m
losses (pre player sales) £13.7m
Player sales £2.7m
Player purchases £4.0m

JB has put an additional £17.0m into the club to balance the books.

How football manages to keep going as a going concern without wealthy owners covering losses is beyond me.
You would have to come to the conclusion that the family believe we can eventually get into the premier league, so a big gamble. Who would keep putting money into a club losing £15-20m per season.

Eventually, this will come to an end and unlikely to be very comfortable for us fans when it does.

Obviously, I'm glad that the Berylsons have been prepared to finance the club. As fans, we want to see good signings every summer but those figures show how hard that is, especially when we're completing with clubs with far bigger budgets. However, if we're losing that amount of money, how far off getting a points deduction are we? I assume that most clubs are in a similar position with owners but as far as I know we're only allowed lose £13m a season but we seem to have gone over that.
The accountants then takeover, sign a player for 3m on a 3 year contract and he depreciates 1m a year.
I think the reason for the last 2 years losses both being 13m is that is the maximum we can lose without it being a problem.
At no time have I seen anything to suggest we are risking our future with losing more than we should.
The worrying part of the accounts is that we are again spending 110% of our income on wages and whether the EFL and premier league sort themselves out or whether it is an independent regulator, we are due to only be allowed to spend 70% of income on wages.

You would have to come to the conclusion that the family believe we can eventually get into the premier league, so a big gamble. Who would keep putting money into a club losing £15-20m per season.

Eventually, this will come to an end and unlikely to be very comfortable for us fans when it does.
It could be that the money they lose stills leaves them with plenty and that JB just loved his football and the club he owned.
James seems to be of the same opinion and long may it continue, if they make a few quid back on the regen then good luck to them.

This is why - he has it in his blood like his father.

£11m revenue (minus Sky) seems pretty low. Season tickets should bring £2m, 10k other tickets per game, is around £5m. That means around £4m a year from Exec Club, boxes, sponsorship, merchandise, food and drink sales and any other activities - cup games, room hire etc. Must be scope to increase this

I think that C'ship clubs are currently allowed to lose £35m over a rolling 3-year period and that there is some additional dispensation for COVID losses, so we are probably ok for the time being.

That said, losing +/-£15m per season is unsustainable. No doubt we can apply some creative accounting, but it's difficult to see how we can make much of a dent to the losses without selling players.

I may be being a bit thick here, but how can a wage bill of 22 million with an income of 19 million be a sustainable position?
Mr Micawber will be turning in his hypothetical grave.