McGhee retires

STWall

Didn’t mark mcghee have a word with a supporter after a Q& A at the den while holding him by the neck against a wall.

McGhee had his faults but inherented the team that Keith and Macca started to pull together and made them winners. Plus, “Cheer up Mark McGhee” must be the best chant of all time, appreciating the job he was doing but equally taking the piss out of his miserable persona.

Always remember a TV reporter asking him if he would make any changes in an upcoming game, he replied “If I’ll be making any changes, I won’t be telling you.”.

McGhee had his faults but inherented the team that Keith and Macca started to pull together and made them winners. Plus, “Cheer up Mark McGhee” must be the best chant of all time, appreciating the job he was doing but equally taking the piss out of his miserable persona.

Always remember a TV reporter asking him if he would make any changes in an upcoming game, he replied “If I’ll be making any changes, I won’t be telling you.”.
That was McGees strength and weakness. He inherited a very good but underachieving squad and made them into winners. He also did the same at Leicester and other places I think.
His weaknesses came to light when he had to add to or strengthen those squads.
Done a great job for us though and I’ll always remember him for that.

That was McGees strength and weakness. He inherited a very good but underachieving squad and made them into winners. He also did the same at Leicester and other places I think.
His weaknesses came to light when he had to add to or strengthen those squads.
Done a great job for us though and I’ll always remember him for that.
I would not say we was underachieving at the time Rhino and Mac got the sack, they had just led us to our first appearance at Wembley since 1945.

On McGhee, I thought he added to the squad quite well.

His downfall was when he picked his number 2

Sorry BP, posted to your message in error.
My So True comment was intended for Mfc's point about MM's number 2 appointment. Hope that's clear as mud!

Decent player in his day. Didn’t he play in someone’s testimonial and he was still one of the best players on the pitch?

Thought he did well for us!
He did and looking back at that time, it was bloody marvellous probably the best laughs, atmosphere's, craziness and all round good times at the New place.

Did a very good job for us. That year we won the league we were probably the most dominant Millwall side I've ever seen. It was a matter of when we'd score, not if. We used to really go at teams.

A word for the job Rhino and McLeary did though. They laid the foundations for that success in my opinion. They inherited a poor side, promoted the youngsters and gave them discipline and the Millwall work ethic. I thought they were very harshly dealt with when they were sacked. I believe Rhino never really got over it, sadly. But McGhee took the reins and you cannot argue with what he achieved. We should have gone up that second season he was in charge. Birmingham scabbed that game. His biggest mistake was getting rid of Steve Gritt and bringing in Archie Knox who fucked up the team spirit by being a cantankerous old bastard and got on Tim Cahill's back constantly. That's Tim Cahill, probably our best player of the last 20 years.