Match Thread Millwall v Stoke City KO 3pm

Well done wall, you wouldn't believe I was working in Ilderton Road today, just couldn't face the traffic back again when I got back to welling at 1-30. Coyl.
Lightweight. :grinning:
Joking aside, you missed an enthralling game of football.
First half we were being given a lesson.
Well, you know the rest.

Maybe I missed the change but I thought he moved Ballard to right back and we had a 442 which was filled with defensive players towards the end. If he has to go boring it should be a 451 to stop balls at source rather than having them land in our penalty area.
I thought that 442 was the shape when smith came on until we got in front .
Then he changed it might be wrong.
But most importantly we got the win.

Cannot actually believe we have won 4 of our last 5 games, that’s promotion form and we ain’t been happy😂, our expectations are very high.

Long may our digging Rowlett out continue if we carry on like this.

Cannot actually believe we have won 4 of our last 5 games, that’s promotion form and we ain’t been happy😂, our expectations are very high.

Long may our digging Rowlett out continue if we carry on like this.
Thing is, Shawmi, it’s a lot easier to us to lose 4 out of our last five games, than it is for us to win/draw 4 out of our last 5 games, because we’ve done the former more times that I’d care to remember under Drawett, so I would say our expectations were very low that we could ever be in this position of so many wins!

Just have to hope that it all doesn’t blow up in our faces, next Saturday! The last thing we need to knock the players confidence is knowing we’re going one step forward, but then two steps back!

Had too much of that this season!

Thing is, Shawmi, it’s a lot easier to us to lose 4 out of our last five games, than it is for us to win/draw 4 out of our last 5 games, because we’ve done the former more times that I’d care to remember under Drawett, so I would say our expectations were very low that we could ever be in this position of so many wins!

Just have to hope that it all doesn’t blow up in our faces, next Saturday! The last thing we need to knock the players confidence is knowing we’re going one step forward, but then two steps back!

Had too much of that this season!
Think what you mean is you hope it does blow up in our faces as every week that passes you are mugging yourself off more and more…..

Think what you mean is you hope it does blow up in our faces as every week that passes you are mugging yourself off more and more…..
How am I mugging myself off?

I’ve praised the players (in particular Bradshaw), today (and will always do so if they play well, win, lose or draw), but don’t delude yourself: the players won that game for the supporters and themselves, it wasn’t down to, or for, Drawett, trust me!

As PurleyLion said up thread, “Just had our best 20 minutes of the season, looking threatening every time we go forward, Ojo starting to look decent and GR replaces him with Kief 🤦‍♂️

This is typical of Drawett: we’re on top, and the one game where Ojo was actually influencing the game (remember he put the ball in for Bradders 1st), and might have continued to influence it more, Drawett decides to takes him off and replaces him with Kief! Instead of continuing to use Ojo, Bradders and Smith as a forward unit, and try and get a third to kill the game off stone dead, Drawett ran the risk of Stoke reverting to long ball, bypassing the midfield (and Kief), and hoping one of their players could get on the end of it, and equalise with minutes to go!

How much of a kick in the bollocks would that had been, to the players and the supporters, if that had happened, and we hadn’t seen the game out by making it 3 - 1, when we could have done? Drawett either doesn’t trust his players, or doesn’t trust himself! Either way, he needs to know that defence is the best form of attack, and we would have had a better chance of scoring more goals, and winning more games, if he played 4-4-2 at home!

Until he realises that, we will not win as many home games as we do away! Had we played 4-4-2 at home, then Blackburn, Coventry and Luton would have been there for the taking (none of these 3 sides were better than us over 90 minutes), and we may have now had an extra 7 points on the board (regardless of our disallowed goal vs Coventry), and sitting joint 2nd with WBA tonight!

Yes, that last bit of if’s, but‘s and maybe’s, could be mere conjecture on my part, but I bet there are many on this forum who think we should have had a right go at Blackburn, Coventry and Luton, and had we done so, we’d be in a much better position than we are now!

Sorry, but Drawett has to go! A couple of away wins have just papered over the cracks, because the players still cannot win enough home games!

JB needs to get a new manager in now

We have 21 points along with 6 other teams. We've won five games, the same as Luton who are fith, only goal difference and our h2h seperates us. You need you're head testing if you think Berylson will sack a manger that's only lost once in ten league games.

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to slating Rowett. Our last ten results are P10 W5 D4 L1. Based on that form we are 3rd in the table.

He gets results, like it or not.

Time to back the manager, irrespective of style or performance.. And I include myself in that. Why? Because he knows what he's doing.

The table, as they say, doesn't lie, the question though is, would we be higher up the table if we had a manager who sets a team up to attack and not defend? could we have turned some of them draws into wins? or if we did attack, would we have left ourselves vulnerable at the back, and turned some of the draws into losses?

It's all ifs and buts, I am no fan of GR, I see him heading down the same road as Harris, playing the game the way he wants, when most can see we can play better a different way, the same football week in week out.
Other teams found a way to win against us when Harris was in charge, I can see the same thing happening if GR does not change, some are already fed up with his football and other fans will soon follow.

How am I mugging myself off?

I’ve praised the players (in particular Bradshaw), today (and will always do so if they play well, win, lose or draw), but don’t delude yourself: the players won that game for the supporters and themselves, it wasn’t down to, or for, Drawett, trust me!

As PurleyLion said up thread, “Just had our best 20 minutes of the season, looking threatening every time we go forward, Ojo starting to look decent and GR replaces him with Kief 🤦‍♂️

This is typical of Drawett: we’re on top, and the one game where Ojo was actually influencing the game (remember he put the ball in for Bradders 1st), and might have continued to influence it more, Drawett decides to takes him off and replaces him with Kief! Instead of continuing to use Ojo, Bradders and Smith as a forward unit, and try and get a third to kill the game off stone dead, Drawett ran the risk of Stoke reverting to long ball, bypassing the midfield (and Kief), and hoping one of their players could get on the end of it, and equalise with minutes to go!

How much of a kick in the bollocks would that had been, to the players and the supporters, if that had happened, and we hadn’t seen the game out by making it 3 - 1, when we could have done? Drawett either doesn’t trust his players, or doesn’t trust himself! Either way, he needs to know that defence is the best form of attack, and we would have had a better chance of scoring more goals, and winning more games, if he played 4-4-2 at home!

Until he realises that, we will not win as many home games as we do away! Had we played 4-4-2 at home, then Blackburn, Coventry and Luton would have been there for the taking (none of these 3 sides were better than us over 90 minutes), and we may have now had an extra 7 points on the board (regardless of our disallowed goal vs Coventry), and sitting joint 2nd with WBA tonight!

Yes, that last bit of if’s, but‘s and maybe’s, could be mere conjecture on my part, but I bet there are many on this forum who think we should have had a right go at Blackburn, Coventry and Luton, and had we done so, we’d be in a much better position than we are now!
Totally agree - the players have won games recently (albeit a tad lucky here and there) ’despite’ Drawett‘s negative tactics not because of them.

Don't understand the theory that if we win or get a result away its in spite of GR, and when we lose its because of GR.
Be careful of what you wish for.
I don’t dislike Rowett it’s his negative tactics I cannot stand. He has built a good squad the best we have had in a while and we will never attract great managers. The last few games we have certainly had some luck. I just want him to have more faith in our players and go 442 then if we have to go 451 to close it out that’s fine. Just don’t play 5 at the back and 1 up front to start with.

Some of the comments here about us not being high enough in the table and the moaning over why we haven't gambled dough we don;t have on the elusive 20 goal a season stiker are laughable and no different to what we'e laughing at on the Spotters thread, it's fucking cringe worthy stuff and embarrassing. If you love the premier that much then get a season ticket for the Nigels, a dose of reality might wake you up a bit.

We have 21 points along with 6 other teams. We've won five games, the same as Luton who are fith, only goal difference and our h2h seperates us. You need you're head testing if you think Berylson will sack a manger that's only lost once in ten league games.
Life with the Lions said:
Sorry, but Drawett has to go! A couple of away wins have just papered over the cracks, because the players still cannot win enough home games!

JB needs to get a new manager in now!

Why do I need my head testing? Football supporters have opinions on what they think is good or bad for their club, that’s why all of us are on here, because we’re all Millwall supporters who love this club! I happen to think Drawett is bad for this club, and I stand by the comment I made above.

You've also been a bit selective in using my quote, as I typed that at half time, when Stoke had done a number on us, and we were 1 - 0 down, playing poorly. It would be only natural I would type something like that, as I’m sure other Wall supporters were thinking something similar!

Yes, I did say, ”JB needs to get a new manager in now!” That doesn’t mean I’m stupid enough to think JB would do it! Of course he won’t sack Rowett, for the reason you quoted above! Doesn’t stop me hoping for it, though!

As mfcjohn said, up thread, “the question though is, would we be higher up the table if we had a manager who sets a team up to attack and not defend? could we have turned some of them draws into wins?“

I agree with mfcjohn, as I’m sure others do. Are we wrong to think that as well?
Some of the comments here about us not being high enough in the table and the moaning over why we haven't gambled dough we don;t have on the elusive 20 goal a season stiker are laughable and no different to what we'e laughing at on the Spotters thread, it's fucking cringe worthy stuff and embarrassing. If you love the premier that much then get a season ticket for the Nigels, a dose of reality might wake you up a bit.
Well, that’s your opinion, but please don’t lump those who want better for this club as Spotters and Nigels. They see getting back into the Prem/staying in the Prem as an act of self entitlement: that they should be in the Prem and nowhere else! No one on here thinks this club deserves to be in the Prem as a right, just that some of us would like the manager to try and get us there! Is that so wrong of us to want success for our club?

You‘ve said in the past you are happy to stay in the Championship, for fear of it all blowing up in our faces if we get to the Prem! Is that any different to hating how defensively Drawett sets up our team most weeks, and wanting better? We go to a football match to follow our club and see them win. We don’t go because we want to see draws and losses. If we wanted that, we wouldn’t go! So why is this any different?

I really would like you to answer this question for me. It’s the last game of the season. We’re seventh in the league, with two points less than the team in 6th, who are currently losing. No team below us can draw level or go above us! We’re away at Bournemouth, and miraculously, we are 1 nil up! Every Wall fan in the away end knows what’s happening to the team in 6th place, and there’s five minutes to go for us to sneak into and cement our place in the play offs!

Would you take that sixth place, with 5 minutes to go, or would you say, “Ah, fuck it, if we get into the play offs, we’d only lose them anyway!”

I put the same question to everyone else on this forum: in that same situation, would you want the play offs, or would you rather another season in the Championship?

Last edited: