Manzes 1 Arments 0👏👏

Only if you don’t know what traditional pie mash is. I prefer my pie mash pies without gravy. Doesn’t go with the liquor and certainly doesn’t go with vinegar.

as for the original poster, he comes from west London ffs, what does he know about proper pie mash??? 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻
Manzes were the original pie/mash shop so every other is a copy so their pies are the proper traditional ones .

Manzes were the original pie/mash shop so every other is a copy so their pies are the proper traditional ones .
they used to be. I was raised on arments but used to go Manzes a lot. It Was good. Then they sold out to the tourist trade and started putting gravy in their pies. That’s when I stopped using them.

Arments are the only one I know who still do it a 100% in the traditional way… raw meat in the pies (not pre cooked like most places do it now including Manzes) a little bit of seasoning and a spray of water, the meat cooks in the pie. Then, when you cut it open, all that comes out is the juice from the meat, and it goes lovely with liquor and vinegar 🤤🤤🤤

you stick to your gravy laden Manzes crap though 👍🏻😆

they used to be. I was raised on arments but used to go Manzes a lot. It Was good. Then they sold out to the tourist trade and started putting gravy in their pies. That’s when I stopped using them.

Arments are the only one I know who still do it a 100% in the traditional way… raw meat in the pies (not pre cooked like most places do it now including Manzes) a little bit of seasoning and a spray of water, the meat cooks in the pie. Then, when you cut it open, all that comes out is the juice from the meat, and it goes lovely with liquor and vinegar 🤤🤤🤤

That is interesting.

You stick to the dry meat pie ,

Manzes have always as far as I can remember have had gravy in their pies so how is arments who are a much younger company make a "tradional pie" if the original had gravy in ? Their pies & liquor are sub standard compared to manzes but if people enjoy it so be it

You stick to the dry meat pie ,

Manzes have always as far as I can remember have had gravy in their pies so how is arments who are a much younger company make a "tradional pie" if the original had gravy in ? Their pies & liquor are sub standard compared to manzes but if people enjoy it so be it
Much younger? Arments is over a hundred years old. I think Manzes is about 5 years older. Not much in it.

dry meat pie? Smothered in liquor and vinegar there’s nothing dry about my arments pies.

Getting hungry all this talk of pie mash 😆

View attachment 20378This was the last pie I had in Manzes TBR a couple of years ago. (Arments was shut). Not good. Tasted like cat food and repeated on me all day. 😕
My missus, who was raised on Manzes, pulled all the filling out and just ate the mash, pastry and liquor. She said the filling turned her stomach. And that’s someone who was born and bred a Manzes girl.

Last edited:
Much younger? Arments is over a hundred years old. I think Manzes is about 5 years older. Not much in it.

dry meat pie? Smothered in liquor and vinegar there’s nothing dry about my arments pies.

Getting hungry all this talk of pie mash 😆
5 years of 5 days manzes pies are the benchmark and they are not dry ,arment s are like a Indian sweatshop , looks good but just inferior copies

5 years of 5 days manzes pies are the benchmark and they are not dry ,arment s are like a Indian sweatshop , looks good but just inferior copies
But arments pies aren’t dry, they spray them with water before putting the lids on and they have all the juice from the meat in them. And anyway, even if they was dry, they’re not once you smoother them with liquor and vinegar! 🤷🏻

It’s all sweet though, you stick with your cat food pies, leaves more traditional pie mash for us purists. 👍🏻😆

Do they do a ‘vegan’ version? If not I’ll ask Greggs to create one! 😉
“For those that wish to enjoy our delicious pies without the inclusion of meat, a vegan version made with soya mince is also available.” 👍🙂

“For those that wish to enjoy our delicious pies without the inclusion of meat, a vegan version made with soya mince is also available.”

Bang to rights Wippa. But born Lambeth Lying In and grandmother born and lived TBR which is why I have a particular soft spot for that Manzes. Millwall was like coming home for me and returning to my roots. The pie n mash goes with that. (Removes handkerchief from pocket and dabs cheek.)
I was born in The Lying In as well.

Members online