Just Back v Stoke

silverlion

Staff member
A poor first half, a very good second half and an exciting win.

They we’re on the front foot from the first whistle. They clearly had seen the video of last Saturday’s game against Luton and thought we were there for the taking. A decent ball down the left saw a cross to the penalty spot. Their attacker could believe his luck and his firm header was heading for the bottom corner but Bart pushed it away. They continued to press and we looked completely at sixes and sevens. It really took us ten minutes before we had any meaningful play. We pushed up a little but their giant CB had Bradshaw in his pocket, Jed was trying but making no headway and Ojo struggled to get involved. It seemed just a matter of time and that it how it turned out. They had a decent move down the left, it was cut back into our box, their forward laid it off to Sawyers who sidestepped Billy and hit it sweetly into the top corner. Their mob was going nuts and singing all sorts of abuse against us but we hang in there. It took us 37 minutes before we had a shot from Ojo but it went wide. We did come into it more in the last ten minutes of the first half but didn’t really cause any threat to their goal.

I thought there would be changes at the break but there were none. It only took three minutes before Evans came off for Smith and I can only assume he was crocked or his strapped up hand was giving him grief. We also moved Leonard into midfield, played a back four with Ballard playing right back and started to get our foot in. They were clearly rattled as they had dominated possession for fifty minutes and now were not getting it all their own way. We pressed forward with purpose and scored an equaliser through Bradshaw. A decent ball across the field to Molly was moved on to Ojo who hit it across the box for poacher Tom who tucked it away. Our mob went nuts. We gave it big time to their fans and had a new found confidence and a spring in our step. We pressed forward some more and started to dictate the play. Jed made a decent run forward and got breathed on by their defender and gained a free kick. Ballard hit it deep across to Cooper, he headed it on to Leonard who hit a good low cross which Bradshaw slid home for his second. It was time for fresh legs. On came Dutch and off went Ojo to a decent reception. We had more bite in midfield and they lacked urgency and we were revelling in their misfortune. It was time to hold onto what we had with ten to go and on came Danny for Jed to make us back to five defenders. Hutch had a big strop at this change but just had to get on with it. Danny made some important interceptions and a good move forward saw Smith with the keeper to beat from twenty yards but his weak shot sailed wide. They huffed and puffed but their momentum had gone and we saw out the four added minutes with no drama. Rockin’ all over the world rang out loud and proud at the final whistle.

Bart made a good early save, had no chance with their goal and looked solid. Leonard had a decent game and looked strong in the middle in the second half. Ballard looked class and never looked like being beaten. Hutch was solid and Cooper had one blip but played OK. Molly played well and helped to make the first goal. Billy looked busy and strong and Evans came and went and we looked better after he was subbed. Ojo had a poor first half but a better second half, Jed was busy but was cream crackered at the end. Bradshaw took his goals well and was a match winner for us and shaded MOM. Smith looked a good target man and Danny looked full of energy for his ten minute cameo.

So a slightly patched up side from our clueless manager who engineered an exciting second half to win the game. Three points, back to back wins and only out of the play offs on goal difference. One defeat in ten and a decent second half display. Upwards and onwards!

Evans had a broken hand sustained at Sheffield and was subbed due to a calf problem - sadly then not a tactical move to bring Smith on.

BY the way I thought their goal was in the bottom corner, not the top.

Thanks, Silver, pretty much how i saw the game. Not at it in the first half, different side in the second, i think the equaliser really rattled them and fired up the crowd. I thought bar the odd error that Billy Mitchell was superb, he knows what it means to play for Millwall and has a great future ahead of him. Ballard was solid as a rock and played with his head up, Malone and Leonard both got stuck in, Leonard good value for his assist. OJO drifted in and out as you'd expect from a roookie but did many good things. Jed was frustrating but run his cobblers off for the team, i just wish he'd do the simple things more often when passing and making decisions.

Credit to Rowett for seeing what needed changing, thought his subs were timely and spot on. The ball over the top to Jed was snuffed out time and time again. plan B got us the goals. All in all a very good win and a fighting permance for our boys, onwards and upwards, enjoy the win chaps!

Last edited:
For about 10-15 minutes in the 2nd half today, that was a proper Millwall home performance. 4-4-2, chaotic, on the front foot, crowd totally buying into it and backing the players and the two goals were inevitable. The Stoke players didn't know what hit them and couldn't stop us.

Before and after this, we reverted to how we have played at home for such a long time. Insipid, timid, not threatening, letting the other team dictate and cautious.

The 1st half was awful. The moment we went 4-4-2 (finally) just after half-time and really raised the tempo, they couldn't handle us. That was as good as we've been at home for ages. Every time we went forward we looked like scoring and Bradshaw scored two excellent goals.

Then, inexplicably, Rowett panicked because Stoke had a good spell. He went 4-2-3-1 and then back to a back five and ceded the initiative to Stoke and immediately they threatened us and could have scored.

The thing is, if Rowett had held his nerve, the fact they opened up would have played into our hands. We could have hit them on the counter.

Rowett is a defensive manager and his impulse is always to stop the opposition rather than hurt them. He won't change. But today gave us a glimpse of what could happen if he played 4-4-2 and released the handbrake.

Mitchell and Hutch were superb. MOM for me is a toss-up between Leonard and Bradshaw. Leonard was a revelation, driving us forward, winning tackles and passing incisively. Bradshaw always works incredibly hard and he got his reward with two poachers goals and I am so pleased for him.

Again, I have gripes about Rowett, but if I brought these up to him, he'd simply point to the table and he'd be right. Say what you like about him, but he is paid to get results and he's getting them.

Evans again ineffective in midfield and his sub got us going....4 4 2 at home works but we get the lead and the managers arse starts twitching and on comes the rearguard subs to hand the onus back on to them....he will never change his mindset

Just realised I basically said the same as you in many more words, so anyone who can't be bothered to read my essay, just read @Phlion54's instead.

Thanks Silver finally changed to 4-4-2 for a spell and we score goals and win.If we can start home games on the front foot all the better. On the fringes of the play offs and their does not appear to be any stand out teams in this division. Decent investment in january and you never know

Members online