Just Back v Royals

silverlion

Staff member
A disappointingly poor performance and a very disappointing result.

We started well and had the best of the first five minutes. Benik and Bradshaw looked lively and we looked sharp down the left with good interchange between Benik, Molly and Murray. A clever turn on the left took Benik into space but his cross came to nothing. A similar move down the left saw a good cross which Bradshaw met and the keeper made a decent save by his near post. Then they came into it. Their giant CF was giving Hutch a tough game and Ince, despite being booed every time he touched the ball was linking the play well for them. The ref was on their side too and gave a soft free kick on their right for a nothing tackle and the following free kick from Daddy’s boy lookEd a threat. A couple of minutes later Shack was tackled by two of them but nicked the ball cleanly but the ref gave another soft free kick. Ince hit it low, it was flicked on at the near post and nodded back into goal from the right for 1-0 to them. We struggled to get back into the game. Our play was one tempo and one pattern and try as we did we couldn’t break them down. There were a couple of 50/50 shouts for a pen with fouls on Bradshaw in their box but the ref was having none of it. Their spoiling tactics were having a negative effect on our play and they had their noses in front at the break. We were booed off too!

GR had to work some magic with his team talk and we came out second half looking more determined. We pushed up ten yards to condense the play into their half. There was some quicker play with some variations but they stood firm. It was time for a change after ten minutes. It was clear that changes were afoot as Flem and Vogi were wearing themselves out on the line and if they didn’t get on soon they would be worn out! They both came on with Burey and Honeyman Molly and Bradshaw came off. The latter was shaking his head justifiably as he came off as he had been trying harder than Benik. We got more urgency and they looked rattled. We did manage to get the ball into the back of the net shortly afterwards and it looked a perfectly good goal but the lino said it was offside. It looked good to me. We pressed really hard but an equaliser would just not come. Vogi had a decent chance breaking into the box but couldn’t make it count and likewise Flem who did his best. There were also a couple of blocked chances from Benik. To frustrate us more the keeper took all day to take a free kick or goal kick and a breath of wind on one of their players was enough to bring to trainer on to administer life saving treatment. All in all it was a frustrating afternoon and even pushing Cooper up front for the last five brought no rewards. There were many glum faces leaving the Den at 5.

Bart made one super save from eight yards from Hendricks but could do little about the one he conceded. Danny was lively but his forward play brought little threat. Hutch was solid as was Cooper who may have been concussed early in the second half. Murray was solid but Molly had little impact. Shack was busy, Honeyman was outmuscled but Sav worked his socks off and probably scraped MOM. Benik was firing blanks but Bradshaw was trying really hard and had some impact. Burey had little impact apart from one decent run down the left, Flem had some nice touches, Vogi looked aggressive and probably had the best chance and Evans came on late for Shack but was really only a stop gap.
A frustrating afternoon against the side that is now top of the league. It won’t last!

Thanks Silver, Afoebe was offside if he had the last touch (he probably did) but if he didn’t touch it the goal should have stood. The second penalty shout for handball in the second half was a penalty, the defender definitely moved his shoulder up to the ball (maybe to protect himself but it’s still a penalty) Not digging him out but the pass Danny Mac made to the Reading player near the end of the match was atrocious

Can’t remember out footballing any team convincingly on that basis Rowett has to go sharpish. We just don’t play football just hoof and hope to forwards who can’t control a medicine ball. Relying on lucky breaks and bounces. And set pieces that teams nullify now. We are too predictable good coaches will know how to beat us. And it’s happening against average sides so sorry Gary but bye. Expecting to get slated but it’s my opinion. Cue the barrage.

Last edited:
Have to agree that today was not one to be remembered , how he continues to se!ect marlone & afobe astounds me and many who I sit with. , we now have alternatives on the bench but unless we perform the basics like passing to a team mate and not a hapless hoof upfield we are going to struggle, burey came on at at least had a go at their defence...just make changes for Tuesday game as apart from saville & may be honeyman the rest were dire

Shocking performance ist half by all of them. Only Bart I will excuse.Clueless in midfield and attack.

We must play the players in their rightful positions. Fleming has to start in the . no10 role behind 2 front men. Especially at home.drop Honeyman into midfield with 1 of Sav/Shack/Lenoard.

Play back 4. The wingbacks we have to be honest been to every game bar Swansea away and Malone terrjbke, not been good enough. These are supposed to be supplying crosses for our forwards. Hiw nany hisks have our strikers scored yep big fat zero.

Something needs to change. Players really need to take accountability. Today ist half thet didn't want it and that is frustrating.

Rant over.

Very disappointing game and our performance was potentially. However whilst we didn't deserve to win then nor did Reading. We're helped by a shocking refereeing performance and to me we scored a perfectly good goal. I cannot see how Afobe could gave got a touch. Mr Chris.Kavanagh was poor and I asked myself if it was deliberate. Frankly I put him on par with Kevin Friend and as to the Kitchener Stand lino he should go to Specsavers.

Very disappointing game and our performance was potentially. However whilst we didn't deserve to win then nor did Reading. We're helped by a shocking refereeing performance and to me we scored a perfectly good goal. I cannot see how Afobe could gave got a touch. Mr Chris.Kavanagh was poor and I asked myself if it was deliberate. Frankly I put him on par with Kevin Friend and as to the Kitchener Stand lino he should go to Specsavers.
Thought it was deliberate myself. The free kick for the goal looked like a foul ON Shackleton. Just before half time one of there’s fouls Saville, gets nothing, Saville pushes theirs in frustration and he gives them a free kick.

There were also two other instances in the second half where a free kick was given to them seconds after they did worse to one of ours.

its no excuse but when the ref performs like that you just can’t win. If you so much as touch them you’re in trouble and if you don’t rip them apart you’re a lazy ****

GR has to start Vogi up front with Bradshaw on Tuesday! The German is a big old unit, and had he come on at the start of the 2nd half, the Reading centre halves wouldn’t have had it as easy as they did!

Burnley is going to be a tough test! With our form so far this season, we could just as easily nick a 1 nil win, or lose the game 4 - 0.

Think after todays result and performance most of us would take a point against Burnley, then we can get back to winning ways on Saturday, by beating Moro’s sheepshaggers!

Today was really really disappointing. I can’t bear to read all the GRO messages on here but I can’t be bothered to defend todays display either.

I don’t write it much because he’s gone but we badly miss jeds creativity. I’m hoping Flemming and Voglsammer can replace that but he’s got to start fucking starting them. If they are blowing later on then use the 5 fucking subs. I hate this 3 subs mid game. It was a desperate tactic with 3 subs, always unbalances teams. Any calls for change of manager is way premature but he’s got to fit the best players into the team now.

Last edited:
With our fixtures coming up, it’s strange to say, but Rowett is entering a very difficult situation. We could easily lose our next 3 games and if we do, it’ll be tough not to call for his head after so much investment into the squad.

My biggest worry is his loyalty to Malone and Adobe. They need taking out the team for a while. I also hate his fkin formation that gives nothing gong forward and for some reason now looks shit at the back. He needs to grow a pair and get at teams from the off.

We'll be ok. Rowett always finds a solution and I totally back him. He's at his best when backed into a corner and maybe it's time to get back to basics. Be horrible to play against, hard to beat and shithouse a few results. The German, Flemming and Burey must start though. Those three are our X Factors. Behind them, the rest of the team have to be solid and disciplined and stop conceding stupid goals.

We'll be ok. Rowett always finds a solution and I totally back him. He's at his best when backed into a corner and maybe it's time to get back to basics. Be horrible to play against, hard to beat and shithouse a few results. The German, Flemming and Burey must start though. Those three are our X Factors. Behind them, the rest of the team have to be solid and disciplined and stop conceding stupid goals.
Yes, also time to shake it up. He will have to lose a few more to finally ditch the back three, and for me give this a run out
Bart
Danny Cresswell Hutchison wallace
Saville Evans Honeyman
Vogi Fleming burey

and Danny only keeping his place because Leonard not fit

Afobe,s goal which was disallowed came off his knee,presumably for offside ,looked a good goal to me