Just Back v Norwich on Now TV

silverlion

Staff member
A battling and courageous performance a controversial second goal but a defeat nonetheless.

It was a very bright start from us and there were obvious clear instructions about getting your foot in and not conceding early. We pressed really well and Danny was high up the pitch to put pressure on their makeshift left back. There was lot of energy in the middle and they were rattled that they could not get any sort of rhythm going. After 12 Tyler was lively on the left and his cross was deflected and looped up for their keeper. Sav got his foot in too strongly and picked up a yellow but the free kick went wide. Another cross from Tyler was met by a Honeyman but his header looped over. A decent move down the left saw Murray cut the cross back but it was behind the attackers. Another good cross found Benik but it came off his shoulder and went over, On 39 a good solo run into space by Tyler on the left produced a good cross that was caught but their keeper. The half ended goalless with GR the happier of the two managers with his teams’ battling performance.

We made a positive start and an early corner went through everyone with their keeper badly at fault. Sadly,nobody could take advantage. They were getting into their stride and a good short passing move found their Sargent with half a yard in the box and he smashed it past Bart for 1-0. We were trying hard to get back into it but it was clear we need fresh legs. On came Flem, Vogi and Shack and off went Honeyman, Billy and Burey. We had fresh energy and on 72 a free kick found Hutch, then Flem and another header from Hutch went wide. We were pressing hard and a long ball out of defence found Danny and Molly marking Sargent. Molly had it under control but Sargent hooked his leg, ran clear and slotted it home for their second. GR was incensed and so was Molly. Even the commentator said that if VAR had been involved the goal would been chalked off.
With new energy driven on by Flem and Vogi we pushed forward with purpose. A far post corner was headed towards goal by Hutch but Benik spooned it over. A long ball found Benik who battled hard to lay it off to Vogi but his shot was tipped over. Another good move saw a Benik overhead kick sail wide. With 5 to go Cooper replaced Danny and we went 4 at the back with Leonard RB. As hard as we battled we just could not fashion another glorious comeback and we ended on the losing side.

Bart made a couple of good saves but stood no chance with either goal. Danny played well both in defence and attack, Murray was solid and so was Molly but MOM goes to Hutch for some real leadership for 94 minutes. Billy was busy, Sav was similar and Honeyman was all buzz and energy. Burey had some good runs but Benik was left wanting with a busy display that produced very little. I am not sure whether their keeper had any real saves to make Shack added some quality to the middle, Flem had some lovely touches and Vogi looked a handful. Cooper hardly broke sweat for his cameo appearance. GR would have been pleased with the battling performance but seething about the second goal. At the end of the day I am not sure we deserved much more than a 0-0 out of the game but that was not to be the case and we move on.

Beni seems to be short of pace and
Can’t win headers. Service not the best
to him. Agree about Hutch for their 1st

Thanks for the report Silver
For reasons that don’t really matter I watched the game with the volume off & I think Norwich were a bit better than you suggest in the first half but we certainly put on a spirited display after going one behind.
Whether or not that “Millwall spirit” is good enough for this division remains to be seen.

I maintain we played alright, nothing more, and they had two big chances that they took. That was basically the difference between us and them. The second goal was definitely a foul and that was the game. We huffed and puffed after and if we'd nicked a goal it would have made an interesting finish.

They will finish in the top 4 and we mostly matched them. The introduction of the German and Flemming were positives. There is something about Voglsammer. He is all-action and made a difference when he came on. Flemming, to me, looks like the pace and intensity of the Championship surprises him. He will adapt because he is an intelligent player but patience may be required. We will know more after ten games but right now we are pretty much where we are for the last two seasons. A competitive Championship side albeit with the caveat that there is more to come.

Silver, again thanks for good report. Would have to disagree about Danny and Malone - both were poor in tracking attackers and passing forward. And thought Leonard brought a calm and steeliness to defence and some good passes forward

After a horrendous journey there & back although we showed willing we were always 2nd best , the changes look promising but we missed the height at corners etc of Cooper , both goals debatable from poor defending to again another strange decision by an official....100% foul all day but the Norwich players had the ref in their jockstraps and fell over at nearly every challenge & he bought it , another poor show from both Marlione & Adobe ( 4 games without an effort on target) but GR keeps picking them and seems reluctant to even sub them....both look lazy on the pitch .....some on here won't have a word said against certain players but we now have alternatives in every position ....changes the back 4-5 , midfield but not the underachieving forward line until there's only 15-20 left which is too late, strange subs with our best attacker burey taken off . ,can understand the rest apart from the Cooper one. ,still letting players run unchangelled until.our box again tonght and it costs us.,their passing from the back compared to ours made us look li!e schoolboys and it's the same every game...a couple of good breaks fell apart when instead of looking forward for a pass the ball ended up going backwards and I'm afraid the nickname billy"backpass" Mitchell is becoming all to true .Lost to a decent team but the next home game is a game we should be wining if we have any aspirations this season.

Lots of positives and the new guys looked handy against the favourite member of the parachute club. The one thing that did suprise me was that the Norwich players could run with the sky commentators tongue down the back of their shorts for the whole match.

Said it all too often, ditch this fucking defensive set up away from home we haven't got the players to be a counter attacking team, keeping on inviting teams on to us every time we play away just lands us in the shit 99% of the time. A bit better last night but sat back far to much and allowed them to too much time and space which they didn't capitalise on, particularly first half.
In my opinion we need a proper LB with a bit of pace like Danny, as good as Murray has been for us his lack of pace is a problem.
Going forward we have to be more positive away from home play our football further up the pitch, 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-3 or even 3-4-1-2 or again this is going to be another season with a decent home record and very little joy on the road. Not sure what is wrong with Afobe, maybe just needs a goal, definitely needs another player up with him, Burey isn't the answer in that respect. If Bradshaw aint fit next game then Vogl has to start up top.
Ref was a cunt again, like groundhog day with most of these refs.
Cheers Silver.
COYL

Punting balls up to Afobe when he is alone is never going to produce anything. He just has not got the pace to make anything of it without support. However there was several times when he was alongside another wall player on the edge of the box, thats when a chip forward might get a result. But as usual we were too keen to play a short ball to the wing.

Just seen the highlights, Malone weren't fouled for the goal he just fell over, cunt.
Septic wanted it more, and how did Afobe miss from 2yards. Vogl seems to like a dig from anywhere, which is good to see. Has to start if and when fully fit. Accord to the Rowett he could only give the subs 20 to 30 minutes, so there must be fitness worries, obviously with Flemming as he's been injured.

Great turn out though besides result, Rowett needs to change players next game, Afobe and Burey starting is hopeless.

Punting balls up to Afobe when he is alone is never going to produce anything. He just has not got the pace to make anything of it without support. However there was several times when he was alongside another wall player on the edge of the box, thats when a chip forward might get a result. But as usual we were too keen to play a short ball to the wing.
I don’t want to pick on Afobe because he wasn’t the only one who had a poor game (Mitchell and Honeyman take a bow), but there were plenty of times when he had the ball at his feet and either got it stuck under his foot when there was no one on him or he seemed to tackle himself and lose possession.

Bad day at the office for eveyone bar Leonard IMO, but we move on. I reckon our home form will keep us out of trouble if our away form is anything to go by.

I don’t want to pick on Afobe because he wasn’t the only one who had a poor game (Mitchell and Honeyman take a bow), but there were plenty of times when he had the ball at his feet and either got it stuck under his foot when there was no one on him or he seemed to tackle himself and lose possession.

Bad day at the office for eveyone bar Leonard IMO, but we move on. I reckon our home form will keep us out of trouble if our away form is anything to go by.
I get what you're saying, but thought we fought well, times in the past we would have been battered, but we were strong. I think Vlog in place of Afobe would have been better. Honeymoon looked lost and Billy and Molly need a break. We're not far away from being very decent and that can be enough to make the play offs

GR set us up to frustrate them and that's exactly what happened in the first half. Imo overall it was an ok team effort against one of the main promotion contenders.

Main positives: (1) Return of Hutch. Might have been partially at fault for the first goal but we look more organized with him in the side (2) The two overseas lads. Both looked good when coming on. Probably need another couple of sub appearances to get match fit but then should be ready to start (3) Shackleton: Thought he did well when he came on. He needs to be played on the right, not left.

Negatives: (1) The defence has no out-ball when we are under pressure. Burey drifts in and out of the game. When he does get on the ball, he makes things happen, but it's too infrequent.

I've tried to keep out of the Afobe debate but I just don't see much there. His first touch is poor, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't have great pace, he's no more than average in the air, he's not a natural - or prolific - goalscorer and he's caught offside more often than not (Those who say the midfield don't release him quickly enough well perhaps, Afobe needs to time his runs a bit better?).

That's me on the 'Hate Mail' distribution list (if I wasn't there already). Awaiting incoming.....

I get what you're saying, but thought we fought well, times in the past we would have been battered, but we were strong. I think Vlog in place of Afobe would have been better. Honeymoon looked lost and Billy and Molly need a break. We're not far away from being very decent and that can be enough to make the play offs
Time to give Murray, Molly, and Mitch a rest and replace with Leonard, Topalloj, and ?

I've tried to keep out of the Afobe debate but I just don't see much there. His first touch is poor, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't have great pace, he's no more than average in the air, he's not a natural - or prolific - goalscorer and he's caught offside more often than not.

I should have added that apart from that, I can't see anything wrong with his game .....

First half was ok but playing the way we are we cannot afford to conceded the first goal. If we have any aspirations of promotion we have to develop our attacking patterns of play and not just play on the counter. This is the best squad we have had in years and I hope that Rowett can get the best out of them.

As in time honoured 'Millwall' tradition we are developing new fans favourites and 'boo' boys. Well you've got to blame someone haven't you.

A couple of personal points Burey isn't a striker he is too lightweight and is at his most effective running at defenders from wide or deep. Afobe looked better when Voglsammer was alongside him. Flemming still looks off the pace but looks like he will be a good signing. Malone is good going forward but cannot defend. Wallace looks out of sorts. Leonard has to play.

I can see why Rowett plays 3 at the back away from home but at home I would like to see us play with 4 at the back.

The problems of last season still exist. Poor away record and lack of goals from the strikers but I honestly believe that that can all change.