Just Back v Hornets

Great 3 points - it was clear early on that we just weren’t gonna be able to string 3 passes together. Midfield could not keep the ball. I think had we brought De Norre in to the middle that may have changed.

My thoughts from that game are that Watmore should not start. He’s an impact sub who can stretch a game but he just looked crap on Saturday. Was bullied off the ball, seemed like he was whinging a lot and was blowing just after the second half had started.

Longman up front - what?! He has no pace, no clue what runs to make as a centre forward, can’t hold it up, isn’t particularly strong, and didn’t press very well. Im not actually sure what he did, can someone offer a different perspective?!

As the season goes on I think the midfield two of Saville and Mitchell may get found out. Honeyman is being shoehorned in as a winger again just because he does so much of the hard work you need him in the side. But I’m not sure he deserved to be pushed away from the middle.

I actually think we’re going to see longman progress. I didn’t like him the first few games but he’s quick, sharp, good feet and never stops running. I think he will start to feature more and more
Liked him from the start. He’s no centre forward but play him in the correct position he’s brilliant at right wing back and more attacking than BNC. In fact I’d like BNC to play on the left so he can inside onto his right.

Great report Silver! Think an ugly win does more for us then winning at a canter, Bomber delivering again! if we can nick something at Blackburn we'll be in a great spot for the final leg of the season.

You said he will turn out like Sid or Ben, How many games does he have to play at this level before Pep Purley admits he might be good enough.
You’re going back to a comment I made several weeks back and I’ll stand by that. Clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about this.

I try to give reasons why I don’t think he’s doing the job I would expect of a good Championship defensive central midfielder. I’ve highlighted mistakes he’s made, that can be viewed online, to justify my view. You clearly disagree. That’s your prerogative.

Next season or the one after, one of us will be proved right, the other wrong and if that’s me I’ll put my hands up 🙌.

BTW: This current exchange originates from other posters being critical of Billy and me agreeing with them, but you target me by dredging up previous comments made by me 🤷‍♂️

So let’s forget the sniping for the time-being and see how it pans out in the future🙏

You’re going back to a comment I made several weeks back and I’ll stand by that. Clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about this.

I try to give reasons why I don’t think he’s doing the job I would expect of a good Championship defensive central midfielder. I’ve highlighted mistakes he’s made, that can be viewed online, to justify my view. You clearly disagree. That’s your prerogative.

Next season or the one after, one of us will be proved right, the other wrong and if that’s me I’ll put my hands up 🙌.

BTW: This current exchange originates from other posters being critical of Billy and me agreeing with them, but you target me by dredging up previous comments made by me 🤷‍♂️

So let’s forget the sniping for the time-being and see how it pans out in the future🙏
I'm definitely not targeting you, I just think your talking nonsense.

I'm definitely not targeting you, I just think your talking nonsense.
So are you telling everyone else that doesn’t rate Billy they’re talking nonsense? 😂

I stand by the examples where I think Billy has failed to do what I would expect of a good defensive central midfielder and you counter with I think he played well.

Clearly 2 different approaches 🤷‍♂️

For heaven’s sake, give it a rest 😞

So are you telling everyone else that doesn’t rate Billy they’re talking nonsense? 😂

I stand by the examples where I think Billy has failed to do what I would expect of a good defensive central midfielder and you counter with I think he played well.

I will revisit the conversation when he has 150 championship games under his belt.

It’s easy to forget that Billy is still only 22. Footballers don’t generally reach their prime until about 28 unless their game is pretty much based on pace- no worries there with Bill! He is a busy player, normally fairly tidy with the ball and will continue to develop.

The three managers this season backed him, which says something. Probably one of the best players to come out of our youth development in the last 20 years.

It’s easy to forget that Billy is still only 22. Footballers don’t generally reach their prime until about 28 unless their game is pretty much based on pace- no worries there with Bill! He is a busy player, normally fairly tidy with the ball and will continue to develop.

The three managers this season backed him, which says something. Probably one of the best players to come out of our youth development in the last 20 years.
Most people want Billy Mitchell to be playing defence splitting passes and scoring a few.

The issue with that would be he’d then be a premier league player, and we’re a low budget championship team.

BM is in the team because he works his bits off, closes down, wins 1st and 2nd balls.

Not digging you out here mate, but were you there Saturday? The amount of covering Billy offered the defenders, the tackles he won made him a standout performer for me. I think his crunching tackle in the first 2 or 3 minutes set the tone and got the crowd involved.

He's never going to be the best player in the league, but he gave 100% and he had a bloody good game Saturday. That's all I ask of any of them.

You clearly have an agenda against him, but maybe look at the number of tackles won rather than one sloppy pass. The good outweighs the bad with Billy imo

I don't think it's that he is seen as a bad player, just comes down to De Norre being better than him with the ball, I really hope Mitchell improves that side of his game and stops taking shooting tips from Livermore.

Not digging you out here mate, but were you there Saturday? The amount of covering Billy offered the defenders, the tackles he won made him a standout performer for me. I think his crunching tackle in the first 2 or 3 minutes set the tone and got the crowd involved.

He's never going to be the best player in the league, but he gave 100% and he had a bloody good game Saturday. That's all I ask of any of them.

You clearly have an agenda against him, but maybe look at the number of tackles won rather than one sloppy pass. The good outweighs the bad with Billy imo
I was there on Saturday and witnessed him being stranded several times in no man’s land marking no one; either fail to contest or lose winnable headers and there was more I won’t bore you with.

Have I got an agenda against Billy? I didn’t start the Billy dialogue in this thread, I merely agreed with a comment made by another poster 🤷‍♂️

What I’ve discovered in the last few days is some posters, rather than just use logical and rational arguments to support their opinions feel the need to denigrate others that don’t share their view. Why they feel the necessity to do this is beyond me but each to their own.

Moving forward, I won’t originate any anti-Billy posts but will support others that post a view I agree with. In that event I hope those that think I’ve an anti-Billy agenda will also criticise those that make the original post 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I was there on Saturday and witnessed him being stranded several times in no man’s land marking no one; either fail to contest or lose winnable headers and there was more I won’t bore you with.

Have I got an agenda against Billy? I didn’t start the Billy dialogue in this thread, I merely agreed with a comment made by another poster 🤷‍♂️

What I’ve discovered in the last few days is some posters, rather than just use logical and rational arguments to support their opinions feel the need to denigrate others that don’t share their view. Why they feel the necessity to do this is beyond me but each to their own.

Moving forward, I won’t originate any anti-Billy posts but will support others that post a view I agree with. In that event I hope those that think I’ve an anti-Billy agenda will also criticise this that make the original post 🤷‍♂️
You can say what you like mate, that's what the forum's all about. Personally I don't think Billy is top notch, I just thought he played well Saturday.

The last thing we want is censorship, crack on and post what you want. Always good to discuss with people who have different opinions

You can say what you like mate, that's what the forum's all about. Personally I don't think Billy is top notch, I just thought he played well Saturday.

The last thing we want is censorship, crack on and post what you want. Always good to discuss with people who have different opinions
Hear, hear!

Reactions: Owl
Billy demonstrated a very good performance against Southampton and Watford. While he may not possess extraordinary skills or provide numerous assists, his unwavering determination sets him apart. If he possessed a more diverse skill set, he, like others, could potentially excel at a higher level.

Our team currently has three players, Mitchell, Saville, and De Norre, who exhibit a similar playing style. Given Harris's 4-4-2 formation, only two positions are available. You could possibly add a 4th name in Leonard, however the way he has played at the back has cemented him there.

Whatever your opinion, its a good dicussion to air.

Reactions: Owl