Just Back v Foxes on MTV

silverlion

Staff member
A frustrating game which we led and fell away after two soft goals.

We started well. I am sure they just thought they would pull their shirts on and we would roll over. We had other ideas. We were on the front foot with everybody getting their foot in. They looked a little bit rattled. And then we scored with less than ten on the clock. Murray was wide left and hit a decent cross which Bradshaw met with a glancing header and it hit the back of the net. We couldn’t believe our good fortune to be leading so early. They looked a bit shell shocked but we had plenty of belief and confidence to push forward. After two more minutes it was Bradshaw who crossed it for Murray to head it goalwards but the keeper saved it. In the meanwhile they were pushing the ball around like Barcelona and there were several moments when we were running around with our tongues hanging out. We were trying hard to get back into it but a good challenge in the middle set us free but the shot was deflected wide.
They had lots of possession but they could not break us down and the half ended with us just in front.

Joe would have been delighted with the first half display and would have had a clear message for more of the same and a fierce determination not to concede early in the second half. He took off Murray who was getting roasted by their nippy winger and brought on Danny to keep him quiet. There was barely three minutes on the clock and they got one back. A cross from the left came off either Jake’s or their defender’s shoulder and drops in. I though Shark could have done better. He made another blooper three minutes later when poor positioning allowed the ball to go over his head and their attacker had the easiest chance to knock it in. Our heads dropped, we couldn’t up our intensity and they just toyed with us in the middle. We were chasing shadows, looking tired and forlorn and they pushed forward at will. A cream crackered Tom and Watmore came off and Nisbet and Flem came on. We had a little more energy but the game moved away from us with their third. We couldn’t get the ball away from our box and a deflected shot hit the back of our net. Now realised it was go for bust so on came Longman and Billy for Campbell and Honeyman and we pushed forward. A corner fell into their box and Nisbet got the last touch to score our second. It was now time for the Alamo as Cooper was pushed forward but despite six added minutes we could not score a third and so they ran out narrow winners.

For me there are questions about Shark’s qualities. Their first two goals were soft. Cooper and Wes were solid but Murray was shown up by his lack of pace..Leonard was OK and BNC tried hard at wingback. Campbell did little, Honeyman was energetic but Sav got my MOM for a determined and effective midfield display. Watmore had some good forward movement and Tom took his goal well.Flem and Rab had good twenty minute cameos. Rab took his goal well too. Billy added energy in the last ten but Longman did very little.
There we’re some encouraging signs at times but they are a decent outfit. No complaints at the final score. We tried but we couldn’t compete with their play.

Thanks silver I’ve just got in. Phone under table in restaurant couple of times, got excited to see we were winning. Our scores were mirroring the canaries. Gutted at 2-1. Not too disappointed at 3-2. Big one Saturday .

After the two soft goals the defence looked apprehensive with Sarkic and put themselves under more pressure avoiding passing to him.

Thanks silver I’ve just got in. Phone under table in restaurant couple of times, got excited to see we were winning. Our scores were mirroring the canaries. Gutted at 2-1. Not too disappointed at 3-2. Big one Saturday .
Did you have a nice dinner?

Did you have a nice dinner?
Can someone on here help?
1. Why was Murray Wallace selected?
Unless it was to fail.?
2. Why was Longman sent on rather than
Emakhu?
3. Why did our GK sacrifice possession
With every goal kick by kicking long?
It cannot be coincidence.
These questions are not related to players, who I thought put in a good overall performance tonight. The management performance not so clever.

A decent first 30 mins apart from Wallace looking like a carthorse. You forgot to mention us getting away with one when the ref failed to give a penalty for a mistimed tackle by Harding (and he would have been sent off for a second yellow)
Other than that we were totally outplayed (don’t let the score line fool anyone) with just 22% possession. But let’s draw a line under it, three huge games next up against our relegation rivals. We move on

We have im afraid a "dud" in goal and again his display cost us goals ,we again do not know how to play and players seemed confused , thought we had gone away from the long ball kicks but the backs it seems have no confidence in the goalie and rightly so ,teams im sure see Wallace on the sheet and target him as a weak.link because of his lack of pace , Campbell should get the next train back to Luton but they are a good team and a 3-2 is not the end of the world but the manager as got to decide are we going to play itout or kick long & ffs get Bart back

Thanks Silver.
It looks to me that we do play more football around the opposition box under JE, but defensively we are looking sluggish and need pace there. We did give their defence problems and early on we made them look jittery. Good cross from Murray for Tom's header. Not the hammering I feared we would get but still a defeat. Roll on Saturday. Well done to all you that travelled. You were loud and proud. COYL! !!

Thanks Silver.
It looks to me that we do play more football around the opposition box under JE, but defensively we are looking sluggish and need pace there. We did give their defence problems and early on we made them look jittery. Good cross from Murray for Tom's header. Not the hammering I feared we would get but still a defeat. Roll on Saturday. Well done to all you that travelled. You were loud and proud. COYL! !!
In the first half, when we more than held our own against them, you could see how frustrating it was as a supporter to watch the lack of pace we had, particularly up front and in midfield. When our players made the odd central run in midfield, their midfielders had more pace and were able to stop us by catching up quickly and forcing them to make mistakes.

When Bradshaw was put through (for what might have been his 2nd goal), and was running on that right side towards the box, one of their players was able to catch him up quite quickly and put enough pressure on him to fire off a shot that ended up hitting the side netting! Yes, we all know that Bradshaw is no spring chicken, but it does highlight that we don’t have, or aren’t playing, younger players at our disposal in the right positions to show off any pace they have that might do some damage to the opposition!

We can only hope that Joe will pick up some young, pacy players in the Jan transfer window and see if they can turn around our fortunes!

I did mate thanks. Just read joes quotes and seems there were more green shoots. Let’s hope our confidence grows from this game.
Yes there were some green shoots.
My overwhelming felling post match is frustration, almost exactly the same as after Sunderland and Cardiff. Once again so near and yet so far.

Let's be honest , they are the best by a long way in the division and that's without a class striker,
We did our best to hold them at bay but it was enviatably that they would score and go on to win, I don't like to single out anyone but time as come to take Murray out of the team can't fault his effort but just like Coventry was taken to the cleaners again , everytime the winger got it he left him for dead. We need someone with pace especially at the back . Anyway on to Saturday a must win game coyl.

We have im afraid a "dud" in goal and again his display cost us goals ,we again do not know how to play and players seemed confused , thought we had gone away from the long ball kicks but the backs it seems have no confidence in the goalie and rightly so ,teams im sure see Wallace on the sheet and target him as a weak.link because of his lack of pace , Campbell should get the next train back to Luton but they are a good team and a 3-2 is not the end of the world but the manager as got to decide are we going to play itout or kick long & ffs get Bart back
I encourage you to consider an alternative view from Purley and to save you searching for it here it is…
“Sarkic:

1st goal - damned if he came for the ball, didn’t get it and they scored; damned if he stayed on his line and they had scored with a good header like Tom’s. Very testing cross and not sure of BNC’s, Cooper’s and Wes’ positioning 🤔

2nd goal - Had to protect his near post. Cross too high for him. Who should have been marking the player who scored unmarked at the far post?

3rd goal - Not at fault. A deflection and Honeyman made a hash of trying to control and clear 🤷‍♂️

So, can be partially blamed for the first but not the other 2. Central marking looks very suss 😔

I encourage you to consider an alternative view from Purley and to save you searching for it here it is…
“Sarkic:

1st goal - damned if he came for the ball, didn’t get it and they scored; damned if he stayed on his line and they had scored with a good header like Tom’s. Very testing cross and not sure of BNC’s, Cooper’s and Wes’ positioning 🤔

2nd goal - Had to protect his near post. Cross too high for him. Who should have been marking the player who scored unmarked at the far post?

3rd goal - Not at fault. A deflection and Honeyman made a hash of trying to control and clear 🤷‍♂️

So, can be partially blamed for the first but not the other 2. Central marking looks very suss 😔
Should have never come for the cross and if he stayed on his line would have caught the ball easy from the ball off the players shoulder,
2nd goal he was in the wrong position I believe , ball sailed over his head to leave an empty net
3rd goal. Only goal he really did not have a chance
again his kicking was awful..bring back Bart asap