Just Back v Boro

silverlion

Staff member
A really lively start, a defensive blip, a schoolboy mistake and a very disappointing result.

We started like a house on fire and they were running around with their tongues hanging out for the first ten minutes. We pushed forward with real threat and they were beginning to wonder what had hit them. Longman looked very lively on the right and hit some decent crosses. Watmore looked sharp and it did seem just a matter of time. With less than 10 on the clock the pressure was too much for them. A decent corner was only half cleared, Billy got a toe to it but it came out to the edge of the box and Joe thrashed it home for 1-0. We were all looking forward to a solid home victory and the next ten minutes we were dominant. A great four man move involving Joe, Flem, Joe again and then a great through ball to Watmore that was just too far in front of him to score a second. We still pressed forward and there seemed acres of space in the middle which Billy and Honeyman exploited to the full but we just could not get another goal. They had other ideas and tried hard to get back into it. Shark made a decent save to keep them out but a few minutes later they got the equaliser. Some sloppy play down their right saw a clever one two in the box, their winger crossed it low and hard from the byline and their full back tapped it in at the far post. It was a disappointment and we were rueing that dominance we had not to have put the game beyond their reach. The half ended all square.

We picked up where we had left off in the first half and pushed and pressed them. Most of the play was in their half but we couldn’t find that final pass to set up a second. And then they struck. They pushed up and passed it out wide to their right. Joe jumped for the ball and headed it straight back to their Jones twenty yards out. He knocked forward, steadied himself and planted it right in the corner past Shark. We were crestfallen but tried not to let our heads drop but we could really regain that momentum we had in the first half. Desperation set in and we brought on BNC for Flem, then Esse and Casper for Danny and a crocked Honeyman and then a desperate last move to push Cooper upfront. That was our downfall as they knocked it forward, realised we were light at the back and a simple pass put their Forss in on the right and he buried it for 3-1. The Den emptied quicker than a drugs raid down the OKR.

Shark made a decent save in the first half but stood no chance with any of the goals. Danny was busy and solid and Cooper had his moments. Joe was good most of the time, took his goal well but was guilty of setting up their second. Wes probably shaded MOM with an assured performance at the back. Billy was busy and so was Honeyman and Flem had his moments. Longman was lively on the right but less effective when he moved to the left. Rab was poor. I don’t think he had a shot on goal for the whole ninety minutes. Esse had some moments but both BNC and Casper looked a little rusty.

I really did think we would tear them apart after a lively start and they would tire as the game went on. Nothing could have been further from the truth. As the game went on they had more energy and desire than we did. Sadly it was a case of one step forward and two steps back. Let’s hope we can put it all right next week at QP ha ha!

Thanks Silver for your report , we should’ve been out of sight by half time . 2 or 3-0 wouldn’t have flattered us . At times we over elaborated near goal taking one or Two extra touches when we should’ve been putting our laces through it . If you don’t take your chances even at this level you’ll get punished.

A really lively start, a defensive blip, a schoolboy mistake and a very disappointing result.

We started like a house on fire and they were running around with their tongues hanging out for the first ten minutes. We pushed forward with real threat and they were beginning to wonder what had hit them. Longman looked very lively on the right and hit some decent crosses. Watmore looked sharp and it did seem just a matter of time. With less than 10 on the clock the pressure was too much for them. A decent corner was only half cleared, Billy got a toe to it but it came out to the edge of the box and Joe thrashed it home for 1-0. We were all looking forward to a solid home victory and the next ten minutes we were dominant. A great four man move involving Joe, Flem, Joe again and then a great through ball to Watmore that was just too far in front of him to score a second. We still pressed forward and there seemed acres of space in the middle which Billy and Honeyman exploited to the full but we just could not get another goal. They had other ideas and tried hard to get back into it. Shark made a decent save to keep them out but a few minutes later they got the equaliser. Some sloppy play down their right saw a clever one two in the box, their winger crossed it low and hard from the byline and their full back tapped it in at the far post. It was a disappointment and we were rueing that dominance we had not to have put the game beyond their reach. The half ended all square.

We picked up where we had left off in the first half and pushed and pressed them. Most of the play was in their half but we couldn’t find that final pass to set up a second. And then they struck. They pushed up and passed it out wide to their right. Joe jumped for the ball and headed it straight back to their Jones twenty yards out. He knocked forward, steadied himself and planted it right in the corner past Shark. We were crestfallen but tried not to let our heads drop but we could really regain that momentum we had in the first half. Desperation set in and we brought on BNC for Flem, then Esse and Casper for Danny and a crocked Honeyman and then a desperate last move to push Cooper upfront. That was our downfall as they knocked it forward, realised we were light at the back and a simple pass put their Forss in on the right and he buried it for 3-1. The Den emptied quicker than a drugs raid down the OKR.

Shark made a decent save in the first half but stood no chance with any of the goals. Danny was busy and solid and Cooper had his moments. Joe was good most of the time, took his goal well but was guilty of setting up their second. Wes probably shaded MOM with an assured performance at the back. Billy was busy and so was Honeyman and Flem had his moments. Longman was lively on the right but less effective when he moved to the left. Rab was poor. I don’t think he had a shot on goal for the whole ninety minutes. Esse had some moments but both BNC and Casper looked a little rusty.

I really did think we would tear them apart after a lively start and they would tire as the game went on. Nothing could have been further from the truth. As the game went on they had more energy and desire than we did. Sadly it was a case of one step forward and two steps back. Let’s hope we can put it all right next week at QP ha ha!
We still.lack quality in the final third and players wanting to many touches, still trying to recall any Fleming " moments" and although Billy had a decent game he is so negative with the ball , this was a game we should have never lost with the amount of chances we created but it just highlights where we need to strengthen the team ,onwards to q p ha ha

Six goals conceded in two games now. Two of those today were gifts. We should have been out of sight when we were well on top. That allowed them to stay in the game and they just sat in and waited to counter us. Halfway through the 1st half they changed their shape by defending with five across the midfield to stop our domination and it worked.

We take a few steps forward and then one back. This has been something this team has done for the last three seasons. This division is brutal at times but today we gave it away. In one way that's a positive, but if we defend like we did today then we will get nothing from games. Can't help thinking that Hutch's absense is missed in games like today.

Back to feeling fucked off after a great run.

We still.lack quality in the final third and players wanting to many touches, still trying to recall any Fleming " moments" and although Billy had a decent game he is so negative with the ball , this was a game we should have never lost with the amount of chances we created but it just highlights where we need to strengthen the team ,onwards to q p ha ha
Spot - on about the forward line. We got behind their back line numerous times, plenty of fast and low crosses to nobody in particular. Don't they practice?
I felt Flem and Billy had good first 45's.
Flem then changed position, was less involved and eventually faded. Billy then played deeper and couldn't find forward targets so easily. A couple of costly mistakes at the back, being brave, rather than practical cost us the points. Boro did to us what we were trying to do to them.
Not disheartened, just disappointed.

The first half was impressive with the movement and passing, and even most of the pressing across the pitch was great. Their first goal killed us I think. Against the run or play, we just switched off a touch and a few of ours was ball watching and sucked towards it, whilst the boro player stood waiting at the far post. Very unfortunate and against the run if play but mentally it probably done us being just before half-time.
Cooper should've buried that chance 2 yards out today, we was made to rue that miss for sure.

2nd half started OK for 5-10 mins then Boro kicked it up a level. To me it looked like towards the end our shape and formation went completely awol chasing the game and that created the shit 3rd.

One of those days, but the style of football is beginning to be positive. The results have been there, Boro are a good outfit and will be up there again this season despite losing Akpom.

Shit happens. We're definitely not the worst 3 teams in the league this year so nothing to be concerned about there. Next.

Last edited:
Six goals conceded in two games now. Two of those today were gifts. We should have been out of sight when we were well on top. That allowed them to stay in the game and they just sat in and waited to counter us. Halfway through the 1st half they changed their shape by defending with five across the midfield to stop our domination and it worked.

We take a few steps forward and then one back. This has been something this team has done for the last three seasons. This division is brutal at times but today we gave it away. In one way that's a positive, but if we defend like we did today then we will get nothing from games. Can't help thinking that Hutch's absense is missed in games like today.

It will change, chin up mate. Be patient

Indeed, but I think the great run was not really representative of of where we are as a team. But, then again, nor were the disappointing results after Edward's first game in charge. People were crying out for more exciting, open football and this will obviously lead to disappointing defeats. GR's football was proven and effective results-wise (until relatively recently) but no one could say that it was entertaining - particularly at home.

As much as I respect GR's contribution it's clear that Edwards is starting to affect the players in a positive way. I'm sure he has got lots of innovative coaching techinques and routines that even the older players will respond to.

If he can survive the short-term, he will make a huge difference in developing younger players.

Indeed, but I think the great run was not really representative of of where we are as a team. But, then again, nor were the disappointing results after Edward's first game in charge. People were crying out for more exciting, open football and this will obviously lead to disappointing defeats. GR's football was proven and effective results-wise (until relatively recently) but no one could say that it was entertaining - particularly at home.

As much as I respect GR's contribution it's clear that Edwards is starting to affect the players in a positive way. I'm sure he has got lots of innovative coaching techinques and routines that even the older players will respond to.

If he can survive the short-term, he will make a huge difference in developing younger players.

Some very good points made. There is definite progress and we didn't deserve to lose today for sure. I'm just pissed off we lost.

Their first goal was down to applying a high-press with 5 players pressuring them in their final third, them threading a pass through and the back 5 not picking up as they broke.

The high-press is what made us look so good in the first 20 minutes but was then our downfall 🤷‍♂️

As the squad further accustom themselves to JE’s style of play hopefully these type of mistakes will become fewer 🙏

Last edited:
As the squad further accustom themselves to JE’s style of play hopefully these type of mistakes will become fewer 🙏
Two points here:
Are the players good enough to be able to adapt to play JE’s style of football?
& are they fit enough to play the high press for 90 mins? (I suppose the truth is that some are and some aren’t & some will & some won’t)
P.s. Not sure who you’re praying to but say one for me

A Game Middlesboroughdid'nt really win and a game we shouldn't have lost. We have got to take our chances as Nd when they arrive and stop looking for the perfect finish.Also our heads dropped and we became frustrated. Edwards should know how to get that right.
“A Game Middlesborough didn’t really win and a game we shouldn't have lost” 👍 Perfect summation.

Bryan is a liability defensively. I would play him wide left with Murray behind. Left back a priority the summer.
A lot of “wing backs” can’t defend, sometimes they’re neither one thing nor the other & they can’t be in two places at the same time anyway.
Maybe I’m old fashioned but I don’t know what was wrong with having a full back who can defend & a winger who can attack a bit and cross the ball?