Just Back v Barnsley on iFlop

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance in parts, a disappointing result and two poor goals conceded.

They were first out of the blocks and quickly got into their stride. There was hardly time for us to catch our breath and we were one down. A free kick in a central position was driven straight down the middle. One of them nodded it on, it hit another on the shoulder and fell invitingly to a third who was two yards out and he smashed it past Bart fpr 1-0. The omens did not look good. Here was a side who had not conceded a goal in five, had won their last four and were one up with two minutes on the clock. We had a plan though. They were playing a very high line with Jed and Bennett especially playing on their shoulder. They did not look comfortable when the ball was played forward and we were looking to get back into it. In seven minutes we were level. They had a corner which was cleared to Jed near the half way line. He hooked it aound the corner to Bennett who ran thirty yards forward into the space with the ball at his feet. He got just inside the area and as the defender was thinking of a challenge hit it low and sweet across the keeper for 1-1. They had the wind knocked out or their sails but continued to press and looked dangerous from corners and set pieces with some good deliveries from Mowatt. Bart made a couple of decent punches but they continued to press but we held firm until the break with the scores even.

GR would have been pleased with the first half show but disappointed with the soft goal we conceded. Again they were first out of the blocks and pressed forward but we were not giving them much room. We pressed forward and a good Williams cross was met by Bennett to the near post but his header was saved. They also pressed forward and we had to defend solidly to keep them out. And then disaster struck. We cleared a corner but they lumped it back in. Hutch and Pearce went for the same ball 20 yards out, it looped into the box and their CB was there to smash it home for 2-1. It was time for change. On came Smith for Thompson and we tried really hard to get back into it. A free kick found its way to Molly on the left and his drilled cross was touched by their keeper and a defender and went off for a corner. Another cross from Molly soon after found Bennett but his header was over the top. Romeo pushed hard down the right and his deep cross found Smith who nodded it on to Bennett but it was just too far for him. More changes needed and on came Bod Fergie and Burey for Pearce, Bennett and Williams. We went four at the back. We pressed forward but they always got a foot in or nodded it clear. The final throw of the dice was Bradshaw for Jed but he hardly broke sweat as they saw out the added four minutes with no drama.

Bart stood little chance with the two goals but made some decent saves to keep the score down to two. Romeo defended well and bombed forward in support of the attack. Hutch was solid most of the time and Pearce was likewise. Evans defended well but his distribution was not as good as in recent games. Woods had a tidy game and Williams was similar. Ben was busy but again was very little threat. Jed had his moments but MOM went to Bennett. For a little bloke I did not realise that he could lead the line well, win headers against more lofty opponents and score such a good opportunist goal. Smith tried but caused little threat, Burey had little to do and Bod hardly broke sweat. Bradshaw's kit will not need washing as I don't think he touched the ball.

All in all it was better than I expected. If we had got thumped 3-0 I would not have been surprised. As it was, we put up a reasonable show, conceded two poor goals, scored one decent one ourselves but could not really match their energy levels. Now we have to pick ourselves up for Preston on Tuesday.

A decent performance in parts, a disappointing result and two poor goals conceded.

They were first out of the blocks and quickly got into their stride. There was hardly time for us to catch our breath and we were one down. A free kick in a central position was driven straight down the middle. One of them nodded it on, it hit another on the shoulder and fell invitingly to a third who was two yards out and he smashed it past Bart fpr 1-0. The omens did not look good. Here was a side who had not conceded a goal in five, had won their last four and were one up with two minutes on the clock. We had a plan though. They were playing a very high line with Jed and Bennett especially playing on their shoulder. They did not look comfortable when the ball was played forward and we were looking to get back into it. In seven minutes we were level. They had a corner which was cleared to Jed near the half way line. He hooked it aound the corner to Bennett who ran thirty yards forward into the space with the ball at his feet. He got just inside the area and as the defender was thinking of a challenge hit it low and sweet across the keeper for 1-1. They had the wind knocked out or their sails but continued to press and looked dangerous from corners and set pieces with some good deliveries from Mowatt. Bart made a couple of decent punches but they continued to press but we held firm until the break with the scores even.

GR would have been pleased with the first half show but disappointed with the soft goal we conceded. Again they were first out of the blocks and pressed forward but we were not giving them much room. We pressed forward and a good Williams cross was met by Bennett to the near post but his header was saved. They also pressed forward and we had to defend solidly to keep them out. And then disaster struck. We cleared a corner but they lumped it back in. Hutch and Pearce went for the same ball 20 yards out, it looped into the box and their CB was there to smash it home for 2-1. It was time for change. On came Smith for Thompson and we tried really hard to get back into it. A free kick found its way to Molly on the left and his drilled cross was touched by their keeper and a defender and went off for a corner. Another cross from Molly soon after found Bennett but his header was over the top. Romeo pushed hard down the right and his deep cross found Smith who nodded it on to Bennett but it was just too far for him. More changes needed and on came Bod Fergie and Burey for Pearce, Bennett and Williams. We went four at the back. We pressed forward but they always got a foot in or nodded it clear. The final throw of the dice was Bradshaw for Jed but he hardly broke sweat as they saw out the added four minutes with no drama.

Bart stood little chance with the two goals but made some decent saves to keep the score down to two. Romeo defended well and bombed forward in support of the attack. Hutch was solid most of the time and Pearce was likewise. Evans defended well but his distribution was not as good as in recent games. Woods had a tidy game and Williams was similar. Ben was busy but again was very little threat. Jed had his moments but MOM went to Bennett. For a little bloke I did not realise that he could lead the line well, win headers against more lofty opponents and score such a good opportunist goal. Smith tried but caused little threat, Burey had little to do and Bod hardly broke sweat. Bradshaw's kit will not need washing as I don't think he touched the ball.

All in all it was better than I expected. If we had got thumped 3-0 I would not have been surprised. As it was, we put up a reasonable show, conceded two poor goals, scored one decent one ourselves but could not really match their energy levels. Now we have to pick ourselves up for Preston on Tuesday.
Thanks for the report Silver, but I've had to contact Samsung, it appears my TV was showing a completely different game!!
First half we made a fist of it, 2nd half we were woeful all over the pitch!!

Cheers Silver. Thanks for your take on the game.

But I'm now watching England versus the Sheep Shaggers.

Yet more controversy concerning a Ref.

Think we are papering over the cracks here.....2 poor goals to give away.....our passing again was dire....the subs on too late and in the wrong order.....if you bring Smith on then you need a good crosser....fergie is by far the best of a bad lot but does not bring him on till 5 minutes to go ?.....can't see his approach to the remaining games cbanging.......hopefully for everyone a few will be back from injury then the likes of Ben can sit out as he is bringing nothing to the table at present and Williams can stay in the dressing room....poor poor game ...negative tactics and 0 points

Thanks Silver.
Didn't watch but listened.
Apparently 2 poor goals conceded by our defence.
Bennett took that goal well. Good ball from Jed.
I reckon maybe GR will not recruit Woods in the summer. I am not impressed one bit with him. Surely GR cannot be either.

I am not impressed one bit with him. Surely GR cannot be either.
GR must be. He sent on Fergie with 5 left with a love note for Woods, then put him in a covering CB position, unbelievable.

Woods, again, was utter dire. Again, I dont remember him making a tackle, and thats the 6th or 7th game in a row. He is just an extra body in the middle of the pitch and is only used for passing - most of which is sideways again. He did try and look for a few forward passes, didnt work out...but he is well off the boil at the moment. I'd rather he be dropped as the team are carrying him. Also, as for carrying people, again Alex Pearce, for me, bit of a liability again, and it will keep happening unfortunately. We need serious cover and forward players in the summer.

Anymore negativity from GR and he can get his coat and collect his P45. I've never expected us to rip up trees, but I expect the manager to be able setup the team appropriately 1st and foremost.

When we set up like that your only going to invite one way pressure. Yet again showing other teams how scared we are of them! Grow some bollox rowett and put it in the minds of the players that everyone is beatable by putting some forwards on the pitch and an attacking line up ffs!

How can we start without a striker?
Jed and Bennett are really wide men who get in the box a bit and (as I posted on another thread) he has only scored 11 times in 137 games (now 12)
I’m not blaming Bennett he did ok but he can’t be expected to play upfront on his own. GR’s tactics were shit, period.

Last edited:
I saw the lineup and formation and thought this would interesting.1 down after 2 minutes not looking good. Then we equalised Bennett did well to hold it up and finished it nicely. 2nd half never really got going and we lose 2-1. The frustrating thing is we are not that far away. We Have a few out injured and to us that’s a massive loss. But more importantly half our team can’t pass the ball...we get in good positions and poor passing means we lose a good position and players get caught out. I love Thommo’s passion but the last 3games where’s he been. Williams had to play due to experience. I would like to see more of Mitchell for me a better passer of the ball then Thomson.
Hopefully Coops and Kief back soon and should come straight into the team. If Murray not far away get him in the back 3 with Hutch and Coops and then Evans can play in the middle with Kief and Woods/Mitchell
Roll on Tuesday for Preston.cmon you lionsssss

Rewatched their first goal a few times - player seems clearly offside when cross is headed forward. GR said same after game. But still no excuse for crap 2nd half.

When we set up like that your only going to invite one way pressure. Yet again showing other teams how scared we are of them! Grow some bollox rowett and put it in the minds of the players that everyone is beatable by putting some forwards on the pitch and an attacking line up ffs!
I fully agree. However all our strikers are ineffective and pointless. Bennett and Jed was probably the best we can offer. How sad is that.

I thought Woods was at fault for their second goal, he got in the way of Hutch trying to get to that ball lumped in which led to their second. I was impressed by Bennet’s cameo up front on his todd- at least he can finish but why the fuck is he on his own up there?