Just Back v Barnsley on iFlop

I thought Woods was at fault for their second goal, he got in the way of Hutch trying to get to that ball lumped in which led to their second. I was impressed by Bennet’s cameo up front on his todd- at least he can finish but why the fuck is he on his own up there?
That's Woods, all he does is get in the way, get rid sharpish.

I watched the highlights and I initially thought that the first goal was offside. However, the second touch was off Hutch’s shoulder and maybe that altered the decision. You could argue that they were offside from the first header but in truth, it is very hard to tell. Bennett took his goal very well. There was absolutely nothing on when he got to the edge of their box but the placement of the shot was excellent. They were certainly open to that long ball over the TP. Sadly, we were not really able to take full advantage of it until Bennett wriggled clear late in the second half. It would have been a worldly but he just couldn’t keep the shot down.
Their second goal was a calamity. Hutch and Pearce both got in each other’s way, their bloke nods it on and their defender really couldn’t miss from 6 yards.
I thought yesterday could have been a lot worse. They had not conceded a goal for five games and won four on the spin. If we had played as badly as we did at Luton then it could have been 3 or 4-0. It really does mean that GR has every good reason to change the team on Tuesday. Whilst you are on an unbeaten run it is difficult to change the team. But he would have good reason now to freshen it up for the visit of Preston.

Why have we gone back to the wasted opportunist long ball forward, from what I see it is down to a couple of issues. 1. The midfield is non existing and gives no support to defence or attack so our defence has no option to bypass the midfield with the hope of a knock-on. We must give the ball away more than any team in the championship, again the midfield, would we not be better to just get rid of the midfield as they do jack shit 85,% of the time.

Thanks, Silver.

I was so annoyed by yesterday's shambles, I didn't want to waste much time discussing it. Some 90 minutes of my life and a tenner had already been stolen, and they deserved nothing more.

I am really scratching my head with your intro. I didn't find it even close to be being decent at any particular time, other than the goal which I thought Bennett took very well. He is probably the only player we have who could have put that away from that position - and Bradshaw should spend the next week studying the film of that goal.

I thought we were hopeless for the entire 90 minutes and at no time put them under any sustained pressure.

Yes, I get the fact that we were countering their press and did this by playing no recognised striker - a kind of a 5-5-0 formation with Jed and Bennett at the top of of an elongated diamond.

In its way, ingenious. But unfortunately meant we played no passing football and our attacking options were telegraphed. Never a plan that can work for 90 minutes.

Bennett had an outstanding game and their thug defender should have been at least booked for the way he played Bennett off the ball for the entire match, but seemingly with impunity.

But as for the rest if the team.... Well, they were hamstrung by the team selection, which was hopeless. If you put Willians in the middle, you know there will be no energy and no balls being won. With Thompson possessing the yips and landing on his arse every time he goes near the ball, he, too is totally ineffective.

So I have no idea why we played a five. Surely, we need to start the game with a four with Evans putting energy into our non-existent midfield. I say non-existent. Well, Woods I read this morning has taken some right stick about yesterday.

That, I think, was a touch unfair. He was the only midfielder who rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in and took responsibility on and off the ball: frankly, he was doing Williams' and Thompson's work for them because both had vanished off the pitch. Their combined contribution to the Millwall cause yesterday was matched probably by my parrot. Who, wisely, slept through the game.

The fact that Woods was visible meant he took some stick. But at least the bloke made an effort.

The truthoif the matter was, we had one tactic. Play the ball into an area between the high Barnsley backline and the D of their penalty box: in other words, long ball shit. Not so much push and run as kick and rush.

Well, as Bennett was designated the only player who was going to do this, by half time it became pretty obvious to their manager how to deal with this...and deal with it they did.

Of course Rowett should also have worked out that their manager would be putting in place plans to neuter our tactics. So he had to change it. But, ridiculously and fatally, he didn't. Just more of the same and playing right into their hands.

I think one of the reasons I was so utterly pissed off with the our performance was because you could see what Barnsley were going to do if we didn't change, and they did it. It was like witnessing a preventable car crash that you had seen coming for the last 45 minutes.

We needed more than one point of attack and to strengthen our dire midfield.

Which meant we should have switched to 4-4-2

Romeo - Hutch - Pearce - Ferguson

Burey - Woods - Evans - Malone

Jed - Bennett

This would have meant we could have used pace on both wings and through the middle. And we would have been better set up to introduce Smith as they dropped back to counter our pace and/or defend their lead. Options.

But for the second half all I remember was Bennett almost break his neck to try and covert an absolutely shit cross from either Malone or possibly Williams that was way too low and almost behind him with a header on target but no chance of beating the keeper.

I read that our manager said after the game that you always don't get what you deserve,

Well, Mr Rowett, I can assure you we most certainly did.

This was dire enough to be a Harris performance (though not from a tactical point of view, as at least here we had some). And it can't get much more depressing than that.

Because it was, in effect, 90 minutes of non-football.

Last edited:
GR must be. He sent on Fergie with 5 left with a love note for Woods, then put him in a covering CB position, unbelievable.

Woods, again, was utter dire. Again, I dont remember him making a tackle, and thats the 6th or 7th game in a row. He is just an extra body in the middle of the pitch and is only used for passing - most of which is sideways again. He did try and look for a few forward passes, didnt work out...but he is well off the boil at the moment. I'd rather he be dropped as the team are carrying him. Also, as for carrying people, again Alex Pearce, for me, bit of a liability again, and it will keep happening unfortunately. We need serious cover and forward players in the summer.

Anymore negativity from GR and he can get his coat and collect his P45. I've never expected us to rip up trees, but I expect the manager to be able setup the team appropriately 1st and foremost.
We are really missing Cooper, Murray, the Dutchman and Leonard, If Cooper and Murray were fit we could drop Pearce and move Evans to midfield. We could then have a midfield of Evans, the Dutchman and Leonard, dropping Woods, Williams and Thompson. It is also worth trying Mitchell in midfield instead of Woods, Williams or Thompson.

We are really missing Cooper, Murray, the Dutchman and Leonard, If Cooper and Murray were fit we could drop Pearce and move Evans to midfield. We could then have a midfield of Evans, the Dutchman and Leonard, dropping Woods, Williams and Thompson. It is also worth trying Mitchell in midfield instead of Woods, Williams or Thompson.
Play four at the back...hey presto! Evans in midfield.

Easy.

I totally agree four at the back, Fergie or Malone are not great defensively which is an issue, but we have to get Evans further forward and hopefully the dutchman will be back soon which should at least give us an option of extra bodies and a couple of people who look like they can pass to one of their own players. I actually think the two he picked up front with Barnsleys high press was a good idea, unfortunately it doesnt take into account that hardly anyone in the team can pass the ball forward without giving it to the opposition, so it just leaves long hopeless punts upfield. Terrible game to watch and although I dont think GR sets up to win games enough, if you have that many players in your team who cannot pass a simple ball to each other, its never going to change. A massive clear out is needed end of the season if anyone will take any of them. The amazing thing about it all is how crap must everyone else be that we are mid table watching that week in week out, god knows what those other teams poor sods must be watching.

Thanks, Silver.

I was so annoyed by yesterday's shambles, I didn't want to waste much time discussing it. Some 90 minutes of my life and a tenner had already been stolen, and they deserved nothing more.

I am really scratching my head with your intro. I didn't find it even close to be being decent at any particular time, other than the goal which I thought Bennett took very well. He is probably the only player we have who could have put that away from that position - and Bradshaw should spend the next week studying the film of that goal.

I thought we were hopeless for the entire 90 minutes and at no time put them under any sustained pressure.

Yes, I get the fact that we were countering their press and did this by playing no recognised striker - a kind of a 5-5-0 formation with Jed and Bennett at the top of of an elongated diamond.

In its way, ingenious. But unfortunately meant we played no passing football and our attacking options were telegraphed. Never a plan that can work for 90 minutes.

Bennett had an outstanding game and their thug defender should have been at least booked for the way he played Bennett off the ball for the entire match, but seemingly with impunity.

But as for the rest if the team.... Well, they were hamstrung by the team selection, which was hopeless. If you put Willians in the middle, you know there will be no energy and no balls being won. With Thompson possessing the yips and landing on his arse every time he goes near the ball, he, too is totally ineffective.

So I have no idea why we played a five. Surely, we need to start the game with a four with Evans putting energy into our non-existent midfield. I say non-existent. Well, Woods I read this morning has taken some right stick about yesterday.

That, I think, was a touch unfair. He was the only midfielder who rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in and took responsibility on and off the ball: frankly, he was doing Williams' and Thompson's work for them because both had vanished off the pitch. Their combined contribution to the Millwall cause yesterday was matched probably by my parrot. Who, wisely, slept through the game.

The fact that Woods was visible meant he took some stick. But at least the bloke made an effort.

The truthoif the matter was, we had one tactic. Play the ball into an area between the high Barnsley backline and the D of their penalty box: in other words, long ball shit. Not so much push and run as kick and rush.

Well, as Bennett was designated the only player who was going to do this, by half time it became pretty obvious to their manager how to deal with this...and deal with it they did.

Of course Rowett should also have worked out that their manager would be putting in place plans to neuter our tactics. So he had to change it. But, ridiculously and fatally, he didn't. Just more of the same and playing right into their hands.

I think one of the reasons I was so utterly pissed off with the our performance was because you could see what Barnsley were going to do if we didn't change, and they did it. It was like witnessing a preventable car crash that you had seen coming for the last 45 minutes.

We needed more than one point of attack and to strengthen our dire midfield.

Which meant we should have switched to 4-4-2

Romeo - Hutch - Pearce - Ferguson

Burey - Woods - Evans - Malone

Jed - Bennett

This would have meant we could have used pace on both wings and through the middle. And we would have been better set up to introduce Smith as they dropped back to counter our pace and/or defend their lead. Options.

But for the second half all I remember was Bennett almost break his neck to try and covert an absolutely shit cross from either Malone or possibly Williams that was way too low and almost behind him with a header on target but no chance of beating the keeper.

I read that our manager said after the game that you always don't get what you deserve,

Well, Mr Rowett, I can assure you we most certainly did.

This was dire enough to be a Harris performance (though not from a tactical point of view, as at least here we had some). And it can't get much more depressing than that.

Because it was, in effect, 90 minutes of non-football.
If your parrot is free on Tuesday, we could with him on the wing.
I've already my coat on.