Just back Middlesbrough

First time for a while we didnt panic on the ball looked composed one touch and move,and even from a corner we had a training ground idea rather than looking for cooper everytime, I hope JB was looking down and enjoyed what he saw

First time for a while we didnt panic on the ball looked composed one touch and move,and even from a corner we had a training ground idea rather than looking for cooper everytime, I hope JB was looking down and enjoyed what he saw
Yes, noticed the corner change as well.

Looks like Rowett has realised that just targeting Cooper from corner kicks is pointless if he’s not going to be protected by refs. At least this way, it’s giving opposition defenders something else to think about!

Their keeper would not have walked the ball so far out of his area yesterday if Bradshaw had been on the pitch, Nisbett will learn a lot about defending from the front when he plays with Bradshaw.
I noticed that, not down to just Nisbet though, Watmore and Flemming need to work together with him when pressing.
I hope it isn't going to continue throughout the season.

In the last few seasons we’ve never seemed to have a forward like Watmore, who is prepared to go through defenders in the penalty box, forcing them to panic and make mistakes that might bring about a penalty!

Now we have one and long may it continue this season!
He makes defending hard work.

Sounds like according to GR had Bradshaw been 100% he would have started and (we sit where we want) Whatmore probably wouldn't.
IMHO when fit Whatmore needs to start. The conundrum for the manager is to fit others around him.

Sounds like according to GR had Bradshaw been 100% he would have started and (we sit where we want) Whatmore probably wouldn't.
IMHO when fit Whatmore needs to start. The conundrum for the manager is to fit others around him.
Maybe Rowett will start Bradshaw for the Reading game, and see how he fares, then make a decision about him or Watmore for Saturday?

A fantastic performance which kicked off the season perfectly. We started on the front foot and took the game to Boro and really should have took the lead early on when a flowing move ended with Flemming firing narrowly wide. The expected Middlesbrough onslaught never materialised and it wasn’t long before another chance fell the way of Flemming after a smart corner routine but he spooned his shot over. Not long after it was Joe Bryans turn after some determined attacking play his deflected shot which looked for a brief moment to be heading in only to clear the crossbar.

Heading towards half time we looked to be in control and a half chance fell to Nisbet who just couldn’t get the final touch. There was however a warning when Boro managed to get the ball in the net but the Lino had already flagged for the ball going out of play. So at half time we were were pleased with the performance but slightly disappointed not to be leading.

The second half began in similar fashion when the industrious Watmore played a perfectly timed ball into Nisbet who with only the keeper to beat could only steer his shot straight at the onrushing Dieng. A big chance had gone begging. Boro started to come more into the game with Forss using his favoured tactic of cutting inside and trying to shoot inside the near post, one effort drew a smart stop from Sarkic who got down well.

Then Rowett played his ace, Emakhu and Esse came on for Flemming and the tiring Watmore. Minutes later it paid dividends in spectacular fashion, a ball looped out wide from the hard working Mitchell left Emakhu with a lot to do but with a searing burst of pace he beat his man to the ball and took off towards goal. He looked up and crossed low to Esse but the ball seemed slightly behind the youngster, it didn’t matter as Esse adjusted his position and fired a bullet of a shot into the top corner. The away support of just under a thousand went bananas, it was no more than we deserved.

The rest of the game played out with Boro doing their best to lay siege to the Millwall goal but in truth despite a flurry of corners never managed to carve out a clear chance. After six minutes added time the ref blew up for a deserved three points on the road.

The spotlight was obviously on the new signings and it was Casper De Noore who really impressed with some snappy tackling and intelligent passing. Joe Bryan was busy and pushed forward at every opportunity while Sarkic looked confident and comfortable between the sticks. Nisbet was hard working and played his part but was left rueing missing at least one really good chance, The encouraging thing was that he was getting in those good positions, with a little bit of luck the goals will surely follow.

All in all a fantastic opening day win and one we can take a lot of confidence from going into next weeks game with Bristol City.

Come on you fucking Lions!!
Cheers mate. A great read and very encouraging. Over the moon for yourself and all those other Lions that made the trip.

Think Cooper played particularly well with some well timed last ditch blocks and interventions.
If he was technically better and had a range of passes in him he wouldn't be with us and worth a nice wedge. Great defender but lacks technical ability which has probably held him back from playing at the next level. . We saw it in Creswell. you see it in the premier, defenders have to be able to play football as well as defend now.

Cooper can only benefit and improve from Rowetts experience/ input with him being a defender himself. I think we paid a loan fee for his first spell and then around £300 k/ £350,00k when he signed from Reading on a permanent. So say £800,00k tops. He's still got age on his side too, he's 28 and with scope for improving.

He has been a great buy for us, £800,000 combined for a loan spell and then a permanent from Reading. He loves the club, is loyal and has saved us money in the transfer department. Same goes for Hutchinson ( £500,000 ) It's a big Shame about Hutchinsons age and injuries catching up with him.

Hutchinson's 33 this year and can't go on forever. I still think he's got it in him at this level as long as he can avoid injury. I disagree with the suggestion he should be replaced. His leadershup qualities are superb and vital in my opinion. Both he and Cooper are the epitome of what we love and expect from a Millwall Player.

Two footballers/ people that were born to represent Millwall. Warrior like in stature, heart and when in battle. They lead by example. I have never seen either of them, not perforn for us or the badge, give in, hide, shirk a tackle or not care. Their reading of the game and timing is superb. They've been very loyal to us and the club to them. It's important for the team that we have players like that.

Last edited:
If he was technically better and had a range of passes in him he wouldn't be with us and worth a nice wedge. Great defender but lacks technical ability which has probably held him back from playing at the next level. . We saw it in Creswell. you see it in the premier, defenders have to be able to play football as well as defend now.

Cooper can only benefit and improve from Rowetts experience/ input with him being a defender himself. I think we paid a loan fee for his first spell and then around £300 k/ £350,00k when he signed from Reading on a permanent. So say £800,00k tops. He's still got age on his side too, he's 28 and with scope for improving.

He has been a great buy for us, £800,000 combined for a loan spell and then a permanent from Reading. He loves the club, is loyal and has saved us money in the transfer department. Same goes for Hutchinson ( £500,000 ) It's a big Shame about Hutchinsons age and injuries catching up with him.

Hutchinson's 33 this year and can't go on forever. I still think he's got it in him at this level as long as he can avoid injury. I disagree with the suggestion he should be replaced. His leadershup qualities are superb and vital in my opinion. Both he and Cooper are the epitome of what we love and expect from a Millwall Player.

Two footballers/ people that were born to represent Millwall. Warrior like in stature, heart and when in battle. They lead by example. I have never seen either of them, not perforn for us or the badge, give in, hide, shirk a tackle or not care. Their reading of the game and timing is superb. They've been very loyal to us and the club to them. It's important for the team that we have players like that.
And Cooper has a Lion tattooed on his chest, Just like mine. I’m sure he copied mine.

Think Cooper played particularly well with some well timed last ditch blocks and interventions.
That and it was amusing to see him throw off that little boro cunt that seemed to have the hump with Esse’s goal for fuck knows what reason. Watch the celebration, Cooper gets in the way, nearly throws him to the floor and the fella melts. Brilliant 🍻