How?

any more paul? its got to be a minority,i mean look at the youth cup team of the 70s,gordon hill to man u.They knew we needed the money. Nowadays it should not be happening

any more paul? its got to be a minority,i mean look at the youth cup team of the 70s,gordon hill to man u.They knew we needed the money. Nowadays it should not be happening
It’s the only one I can think of. I think Moro was 2.8 mill to Norwich. Don’t know if you’d count that.
Be honest, until our recent crop of players, I.e. Danny and Billy, who have we had who might interest top clubs? Jed maybe, but we all know how that panned out.
I think also, with a few notable exceptions, the top clubs look almost exclusively abroad when looking for established players.
The ones they take a risk on are schoolboys and academy players from clubs like ours.

It might be that they didn't stand out at 14, 15 or 16, Bowen started in the first team at 17 and Potter at 19 so at that stage they would have been playing under proper contracts.
In the past we have had to sell many because of debt so plenty took advantage and more recently we have been keeping our better players.

Do Hull City manage to keep Bowen and Lewis-Potter on their books long enough to receive transfer fees of £18m and £15m respectively with add-ons while our young prospects are stolen for peanuts 🥜? 🤷‍♂️
It’s always been the Millwall way!

I’ve supported our club since the age of 10, in 1974, and any half decent player we’ve sold on, we probably could and should have got more for!

Millwall have always been a selling club! Chairman after chairman would say ’we had to sell so and so to balance the books,’ and whilst this was true to a large degree, I think we should have held out for more, especially if any of the big clubs were interested!

I suppose the first biggest Wall player I heard about, who had previously left, was Alex Stepney, which my old man saw down at the Den when I was a little nipper!

It’s always been the Millwall way!

I’ve supported our club since the age of 10, in 1974, and any half decent player we’ve sold on, we probably could and should have got more for!

Millwall have always been a selling club! Chairman after chairman would say ’we had to sell so and so to balance the books,’ and whilst this was true to a large degree, I think we should have held out for more, especially if any of the big clubs were interested!

I suppose the first biggest Wall player I heard about, who had previously left, was Alex Stepney, which my old man saw down at the Den when I was a little nipper!
Alex Stepney, none better since, in my opinion. And that is some praise considering those.who.have followed him with distinction for us. We have always.done well with Goalkeepers.

I think some have missed my point. I used the term young prospects meaning players that come through our academy.

Our youngsters are being enticed away, often before they’ve played in the 1st team, while Hull City retained Bowen and Lewis-Potter; Birmingham received a fortune for Jude Bellingham; Johnson has been with Forest for years without being poached and, even, Charlton have received decent money for Gomez, Lookman and Shelby to name a few 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Andy Roberts, Ben Thatcher and Mark Kennedy were all sold for around the 2 million mark in the 90s. We were a production line for other clubs so we could cover the losses. Cahill was given away by Theo, and he nearly sold him to Palace for 1 million and he slagged off other business people for being stupid on Dragons Den.

Great that Berylson has brought this kind of stuff to an end.