Honeyman

Ben Thompson played 142 games for Millwall 🤷‍♂️

I’ve listed my issues with Billy many times over, often supporting them with examples that could be checked by watching match highlights.

I’ve not got a downer on him, I simply don’t rate him. Time will prove which of us is right and if I’m wrong I’ll be the first to hold my hand up.

Similar accusations were made about my assessments of Sid Nelson and Thommo and what happened in their cases?
You’re not alone plenty don’t rate him, I think he’s bang average and offers nothing at either end of the pitch which is mad being a number 8. Would happily eat humble pie but he’s just not Championship standard, Could he progress under JE who knows, but he’s so far behind our other midfielders when everyone’s fit he won’t and shouldn’t get a look in.

If he played golf like he played football he’d probably beat me because he keeps his eye on the ball (an asset in golf) but unfortunately in football a player who ball watches can be a liability 🤷‍♂️
Damned with faint praise if I ever heard it.😂

Totally agree, never gives the ball away, breaks up the opposition play. I have noticed that his forward play has improved in the last few games, can only assume that Joe has given him the green light and confidence to do so. I think Billy will come out as a much improved player over the remainder of the season
My thoughts exactly although Billy still seems to fade from games after an hour or so.

For a midfielder to have played over 120 games with 1 goal and barely a handful of assists is simply not good enough!!!!

Dont get the knockers , always available to take a pass , can be a bit negative , but since the new manager arrived I think he's improved a bit , and is young enough to get better , though when everyone's fit may not be first choice

For a midfielder to have played over 120 games with 1 goal and barely a handful of assists is simply not good enough!!!!
He's a defensive midfielder who would love to get forward more, His words not mine, "If I don't do what the Manager wants I don't play" Again his words.

You don't get to play over a 100 games under two different managers in a team that gets close to the playoffs unless you have something about you.

All about opinions.
Not over a 100 Championship games but Ben Thompson had 86, scored 9 goals with Millwall finishing 8th twice, once 9th and another time 11th (which is identical to Billy's record) and ended up at Stevenage! 🤷‍♂️

Not over a 100 Championship games but Ben Thompson had 86, scored 9 goals with Millwall finishing 8th twice, once 9th and another time 11th (which is identical to Billy's record) and ended up at Stevenage! 🤷‍♂️
He also was in the side that finished 21st under Harris. Ben Thompson hasn't got an inch of the technique and footballing brain the Mitchell has. He had the heart, passion and bollox but limited with his feet. Lets see where Mitchell is at the end of the season. If there's more to come from him Edwards will get it out of him.

I think it's fair to say that Thompson fitted us like a glove when Harris was in charge and Ben had all the attributes for what Harris deemed a Wall player for a proper wall side. The Championship has evolved from what it was five year ago. You have to be able to play a bit and have technically adept players. Bollock and bite of five year ago that got you 8th in table is now a recipe for relegation.

Billy holds his own, he never looks out of his depth. Yes he needs a bit more to his game but he copes. Ben Thompson in my opinion would get run ragged in this division now. He got hot headed and did reckless things cause he had to, kit was the only way he could compete cause he was essentially out of his depth.

I think we have to remember that all the players were playing to strict instructions under Rowett. We're now seeing a team that are playing with a bit more freedom and on the front foot. I believe that Billy is a highly intelligent player with scope for improvement given the correct coaching.

We saw it with Burey, gifted with technique but was never taught how to play without the ball or for the team. Lacking in hunger too so he's always going to hold himself back from kicking on. Billy has the heart and grit of a lion, He just needs bringing on so he's the finished article in the role he's been asked to play.

And for the record and in defence of you- Purley to other posters. I've sat by this fine gentleman for what must be a decade. I can say with confidence that he's as honest as the day is long and is being honest in his appraisal of Mitchell. It's not because of a personal dislike that makes him a critic of Mitchell but his honest opinion and on how he see's the game.

Me and my son have spent hours upon hours defending, agreeing and/or completely divided on a player. My son is a competitive sportsman, me less so and that means we'll have completely different views on one player because of how we see it and what we expect.