Head of Recruitment

bazzwall

Harvey Bussell, he has been at Millwall for over a year now. What input has he had?
Hardly heard his name mentioned in any recruitment , does he work covertly.

What do you think he does? Twiddle his thumbs all day? He compiles a list of players he feels are suitable for the club, within price range, scouting Europe and the UK, provides that list to Rowett who runs the rule over them and approaches the board to sign them. If one way or another we don't sign them, how is that his fault? He's recommended a couple of great Dutch attacking midfielders who wouldn't look out of place in Fulhams squad, Rowett agreed and the board submitted bids. They were rejected but we didn't pursue it further because due to injuries we needed a quick signing and had to temporarily bring in Burke until the end of the season. I fully expect we'll go back for them in the Summer and if we get them will be fantastic additions. That's what he does.

See I am not having a moan, but player identification seems haphazard to me. Bids going in and either the player does not want to join or £ way too short.

But you never start with the asking price. You lowball them to test the water. If they are then receptive to another bid, then they're willing to sell at a price and you incrementally increase the bid until its accepted. Unfortunately, we didn't have the time to do that with needing someone in quickly and moved onto a quick fix.

What do you think he does? Twiddle his thumbs all day? He compiles a list of players he feels are suitable for the club, within price range, scouting Europe and the UK, provides that list to Rowett who runs the rule over them and approaches the board to sign them. If one way or another we don't sign them, how is that his fault? He's recommended a couple of great Dutch attacking midfielders who wouldn't look out of place in Fulhams squad, Rowett agreed and the board submitted bids. They were rejected but we didn't pursue it further because due to injuries we needed a quick signing and had to temporarily bring in Burke until the end of the season. I fully expect we'll go back for them in the Summer and if we get them will be fantastic additions. That's what he does.
Good post! I believe he's the geezer that has encouraged JB to recruit youth that can be developed and moved on for profit if they are good enough for a higher level. It's mainly why Rowett was knocked back during this window, not by the selling club but our board. They are finally waking up to the fact there is no long term benefits from signing journeymen aged 28 plus. We are looking further affield than England for players, i suppose convincing the player to come to us is a different matter but we're changing tack all the same and seem to have identified the direction we want to go in.

But you never start with the asking price. You lowball them to test the water. If they are then receptive to another bid, then they're willing to sell at a price and you incrementally increase the bid until its accepted. Unfortunately, we didn't have the time to do that with needing someone in quickly and moved onto a quick fix.
Rhino, we needed someone in quickly to replace Jed but as it happens Jed didn’t go (another cock up as we are paying two lots of wages) As your obviously “in the know” whose fault was that? Jed or his agent or the club or Nottingham Forest or Besiktas or is it something else us fans don’t understand?

Look I am not having a moan, but I will say this. Groundwork must be completed before a bid is made agreed, by that time sounding out the player does he want a move, will the salary be suitable , the likelihood of fee acceptance.

This is a specific case you are commenting on, I am talking generally.

Good post! I believe he's the geezer that has encouraged JB to recruit youth that can be developed and moved on for profit if they are good enough for a higher level. It's mainly why Rowett was knocked back during this window, not by the selling club but our board. They are finally waking up to the fact there is no long term benefits from signing journeymen aged 28 plus. We are looking further affield than England for players, i suppose convincing the player to come to us is a different matter but we're changing tack all the same and seem to have identified the direction we want to go in.
Norwich are good at it

The thing I don't get is if we haven't got any money, why let Jed run down his contract and leave on a free? If Forest were willing to pay £2.5m then we could have used that to sign a couple of players and still have some money left because of Jed's wages. Unless Jed didn't want to go knowing he can get an even bigger signing-on fee and wages, in which case, our hands were tied.

Either way it's fucking stupid. We should have sold him last summer for £7.5m. Getting sod all for a player that is worth millions is economic madness. And his form this season has not been great, let's be honest.

Burke and Freeman both mentioned he’s name when talking about signing and both also spoke of wanting to play under GR.

How many teams actually get promoted on budgets like ours? I can’t think of any since the year Bradford and Barnsley were promoted in the 90s.

They are, as are Brentford who i believe we have studied and want to emulate.
If this is true, Peckham, we're onto a win win situation.
Brentford are a club that have done things very tidily over the last few years. Consistent with it too, and if we can get anywhere near what they done that is very good news for our future.