Gary Rowett

He took Ojo off, and the ‘fro midfielder and his fellow midfielders took control. Then he brings on Evans, when we’ve already lost the midfield, and to add insult to injury, he subs Mitchell!
None of us know why he took them off, whether it be a knock, fatigue or tactical. It's easy to sit at home and dictate what shoud be going on a 140 miles away. Evans, Smith and Malone were the only experienced outfield players on the bench. What did you want him to do, sign Frank Lampard at half fucking time?

He subbed Mitchell with a minute left on the clock for Malone, a player that is quick and gets the ball into danger areas, we needed a goal. He perhaps should have made that change earlier but then again we don't know how fit the benched players are. We've just played 3 away games on the spin with a depleted squad, our away form is not great at the moment, at home we're doing fine.

If you think by getting rid of Rowett will solve all our problems and get us in the playb offs then you need to think again. We don't have the quality nor depth in squad to do so, with or without Rowett.

We did the same in the old First Division. Granted, we had better players/squad than we do now, but we were then, as we are today, the underdogs against these so called better teams, and in many games that first season, more than held our own!
That was over thirty year ago and long before clubs were signing players for fucking stupid money and paying them a quarter of a million a week. You can't compare then and now and expect the same. If so are you saying we'd top the premiefr league like we did the first division?

Today was a prime example as to why so many people ain't happy with Rowett, even though we are now an established Championship side. He was out thought by Pearson, who made subs at HT, GR must have seen we were losing the midfield so he takes Ojo off who was having his best game for us and instead of Malone or even one of the youngsters he brings on his love child Evans!(Who is fast becoming one of the worst players I've seen in a Millwall shirt for a long time, he gave the ball away 3 times in the first 45 seconds he was on the pitch, simple 5-10 yard passes STRAIGHT to them, he makes everything look difficult!! Thompson is a better option than him and Saville but looks like he is out the door!
I agree about Evans, he’s shit but thought Saville put a good shift in today. High tempo first half but we came out in the second making poor choices at key moments. GR probably should have made changes earlier in the 2nd, Murray looked fucked The ref was a dope too.

Same old, Millwall. They never fail to disappoint when we never fail in hope and expectations.

None of us know why he took them off, whether it be a knock, fatigue or tactical. It's easy to sit at home and dictate what shoud be going on a 140 miles away. Evans, Smith and Malone were the only experienced outfield players on the bench. What did you want him to do, sign Frank Lampard at half fucking time?

He subbed Mitchell with a minute left on the clock for Malone, a player that is quick and gets the ball into danger areas, we needed a goal. He perhaps should have made that change earlier but then again we don't know how fit the benched players are. We've just played 3 away games on the spin with a depleted squad, our away form is not great at the moment, at home we're doing fine.

If you think by getting rid of Rowett will solve all our problems and get us in the playb offs then you need to think again. We don't have the quality nor depth in squad to do so, with or without Rowett.
Doesn't matter who is on the pitch or the bench! George Evans is NEVER the answer!!

We cannot afford for Rowett to go as we know we’ll stay up with him in charge and lets face it we are not exactly a club that attracts the best managers.

The frustration I have is that it’s the best group of players we’ve had for ages and a with bit more ambition from Rowett and less defenders on the pitch would make it a better watch for everyone. If we have to go 451 to close a game out with 15 mins to go fine, no probs with that but to start with 5 defenders nearly every game and so many defensive players on the pitch is just tedious to watch and I cannot believe the players like it much either.

Last edited:
Its plain. The game plan is get ahead and circle the wagons. Might work with 10 minutes to go, but anyone knows trying it for longer is really pushing your luck and as we have seen ends badly 9 times out of 10. So stop doing it.

I think it's not the fact we lost today but the manner in which we lost.
Yet again baffling substitution's if they were tactical and not due to injury/fatigue. After being 2-1 up then losing especially that late in the game is a bitter pill to swallow.
I don't buy all this we are a mid-table team, comment. We should have been tactically good enough to see the game out or even score a third goal.
I would rather us have been losing by a couple of goals earlier on than grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.
And yes, of course the players have to take some of the blame, not just GR.
But I take on board people's opinions on here even if I don't agree with them .
We are after all passionate about Millwall and only want the best for them.
COYL!!!!

Take the play offs out of it, GR is not the man for Millwall, 5 at the back, bad subs, plan b is to give Smith 0-5 mins at the end when we are losing, blames everything else but himself, and bad subs, and bad subs.

History tells you that we will, it's not the end of the world when you're winning playoff finals at Wembley.

Exactly.

Plus, these last twenty years or so have been good at this club for end of season excitement. Be it top, or bottom..!!

That's the problem, the end of season last year and more than likely this season, was, and probably will be again, a mid table anticlimax. Unless we go on some mad cup run.

#greedyfuckerslookingforexcitement.
:grinning:

Rowett has turned Millwall into a strong championship team. No worries about relegation and some on here think we are maybe good enough for the play offs. This club is in a much better position than when he arrived.

He has, no question. Rowett is a far better manager than Harris I think and even mentioning him the same breath as Lomas or Holloway is ridiculous.

I question him a lot, but only because I love the club and wants us to win and it gives me the ump when we lose. But he has improved us, even if we are inconsistent. Considering the budget we have and the players at his disposal, he is doing a pretty good job. We will never go down with him as a boss and like it or not, that is progress for a club like ours that usually goes down after a couple of years at this level.

When are the players entitled to come in for a bit of stick? Fair enough the buck stops with the manager but fuck me, there are enough senior pros in that side to be able to see the game out, forget about the manager. Where’s Pearce, Hutchinson, Cooper, Wallace,Savile, Afobe, Malone, Bradshaw, Bart? These are experienced players at this level who should be able to hold on to a lead but too often roll over when the going gets tough. I stood there 3 weeks ago and watched fuckin Peterborough pass the ball around us for 90 minutes. My 10 year old could see what was coming. Who stepped up and said bollocks to this and rattled a few. Not fuckin one of em, that’s who!
Yes Rowett makes decisions that leave me scratching my head same as everyone else, probably why he’s managing Millwall and not Man Utd! It’s boring to watch more often than not but I ain’t having it that he’s to blame for the players not having a bit of arsehole.

That was over thirty year ago and long before clubs were signing players for fucking stupid money and paying them a quarter of a million a week. You can't compare then and now and expect the same. If so are you saying we'd top the premiefr league like we did the first division?
For those lucky enough to be there then that 1st season was the best. However, it was before most games were on TV and the 1st division didn’t know what to expect when we went up. That expectation when Jimmy got the ball on the wing, that knowledge that if cas missed the cross then Teddy was just behind him to put his head on it (or vice versa), the knowing that Hurlocks tackle would not result in a yellow card and, to me the biggest thing that season, the atmosphere/intimidation that the crowd generated. Big teams came to the Den and did not know what to expect. They would now and would know how to handle it. Jimmy would have 2 players on him, Cas/Teddy would be marked out the game by 3 centre backs and Hurlock would be sent off within 15 mins. I do think the atmosphere would still be quality (not quite ‘88 level tho) and we would do ourselves proud. The big difference is when we come back from 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go (Forest) with the supporters making noise like I have rarely heard since then you will still get people still wanting to sack the manager because we only got a point.

Did we? Is he? i and many i know never said or thought that, why would we? Harris only had experience at youth level management, Lomas at non league and some pile of jank in Scotland. Not much of a barometer is it! Harris got us promoted, something Rowett hasn't achieved, Holloway got the NIgels to where you want us to be. Rowett spent/ wasted lots of money at Stoke and Derby and achieved nothing. How is he a step up from two managers that got teams promoted on a shoestring budget?
Really? So you’re telling me that you and those you know couldn’t see an improvement in our play when Rowett came to us, compared to Harris’ last year with us? Granted, some of Rowett’s success at that time was probably down to Davidson, but we didn’t know that at the time!

Yes, Harris got us promoted, but even you must agree it’s a lot easier to get promotion from league 1, than it is to get promotion from the Championship! Plus we had a much better, more potent forward line than we do now.

You’re right, Rowett did spend and wasted lots of money at Stoke and Derby, but when he got the Millwall job, he knew there wouldn’t be much money to spend, but he took the players Harris had, and got them playing football and not the hoof ball Harris had been serving up in his last season. So naturally supporters (myself included) thought he was a ‘step up’ based solely on the two different types of play!

I’ve quiet enjoyed going to Cov and Bristol the last few days. A win and scoring twice in a loss is better than the run of tedious draws we had earlier in the season. Though today we run out of steam in 2nd half. Ojo played well but looked fkd so it was right to take him off , but by replacing him with a defensive midfielder gave them the initiative they needed. Thought we were a bit fortunate to win at Cov and deserved something today , so 3 points from the 2 away games at the end of the world.

Really? So you’re telling me that you and those you know couldn’t see an improvement in our play when Rowett came to us, compared to Harris’ last year with us?
The improvement was there to see under Barratt and before Rowett arrived. It's the norm when a new bloke comes in after the confidence has been drained from a team. New manger bounce, it's not a new thing but soon enough a team ans new manager find it's level.

Yes, Harris got us promoted, but even you must agree it’s a lot easier to get promotion from league 1, than it is to get promotion from the Championship!
What team has Rowett got promoted as a manager?
I‘m sure we were all expecting Rowett to give the right team talk at HT - keep pressing, don’t go deep, keep them on the back foot etc. Now, he either said this, but the players weren’t listening, so in that situation, he has to do something from his technical area - he can shout to certain players, and use his arm/s to indicate they press forward, or he pulls a player to one side and tells him to let the team know they’re not doing as he wanted!
I've just seen the goals we conceded today. You can't blame those on the manager, tactics of what subs he did or didn;'t make or what you think he should be saying at half time.

When are the players entitled to come in for a bit of stick? Fair enough the buck stops with the manager but fuck me, there are enough senior pros in that side to be able to see the game out, forget about the manager. Where’s Pearce, Hutchinson, Cooper, Wallace,Savile, Afobe, Malone, Bradshaw, Bart? These are experienced players at this level who should be able to hold on to a lead but too often roll over when the going gets tough. I stood there 3 weeks ago and watched fuckin Peterborough pass the ball around us for 90 minutes. My 10 year old could see what was coming. Who stepped up and said bollocks to this and rattled a few. Not fuckin one of em, that’s who!
Yes Rowett makes decisions that leave me scratching my head same as everyone else, probably why he’s managing Millwall and not Man Utd! It’s boring to watch more often than not but I ain’t having it that he’s to blame for the players not having a bit of arsehole.
The standard of passing in the second half and our control of the ball was absolutely embarrassing. Wallace, Saville, Evans in particular. These players are paid £10k + a week and they can’t make a ten yard pass in front of a player!

I have my reservations over Rowett and his poor tactics at times, but some of these players need to take a fkin look at there selves today - they were an embarrassment.