Favourite football commentator.....

Moore for me although i have fond memories of Motson and Barry Davies too. It’s only when you watch old reruns of them at their peak that you realise how good they were at what they did. Football coverage was so much better in the 70s and 80s than the saturated overblown bollocks we have now.

Back then there was minimal pointless punditry instead relying on thoughtful, intelligent and incisive observation from commentators. It’s stark contrast to what we have to put up with now, the likes of Rio Ferdinand giving it “Ollies at the wheel man…. Ollies at the wheel”. Fucks sake.

Have to say Motson irritated the fuck out of me. I would say he was the precursor to today’s commentators full of crap instead of just talking about the game.

For me it’s Moore and Davies.

There are still a few good ones in radio 5 though. Football always sounds better on the radio.

Got to be Brian Moore for me .
Commentating on six games in my favourite era here.

I was at all of those matches 😉

After the Everton game, we stayed in Southport; went to a nightclub; got back to the hotel circa 05:30; had breakfast around 10:00 and managed to get back to London in time to see the highlights on The Big Match (no video recorders in those days 🤦‍♂️) 👍

Last edited:
Has to be Brian Moore for me.
As a kid I wasn’t allowed to stay up and watch MoTD so my football on tv was was the Big Match.
Even then it made me laugh when Moore and others use to tell you that a team playing from left in the whatever colour top,shorts and stockings.
Commentators back then were more or less forthright and didn’t flower things up with inane bollocks.

I’ve got a soft spot for Ian Darke, he used to do some boxing commentaries as well. He did our play off final against Scunthorpe, he was on our plane to Spain one day, we got chatting & he asked me who I supported. When I said Millwall he mentioned Gary Alexander’s goal as being one of the best he’d ever seen