FA Cup Quiz....

whiskylion

On Saturday I will be going to an FA Cup 4th Qual round game somewhere in the south of England.

The reason I am going is because it is an FA Cup game of major historical importance.

What is the game? And what is the historic landmark?

Maidenhead v Hastings
Well done Bazz. You, too, Only. Great stuff!

The first-ever day of FA Cup football - and therefore organised competitive football in the world - took place on 11th November 1871.

Four teams played that day. The only ground still existing of the four venues is Maidenhead's York Road enclosure - now the stadium with the longest unbroken record of football with the same club in the world.

150 years later, Maidenhead are at home to Hastings Utd. The owner of Hastings happens to be one if my closest mates, so I'll be with them for the day.

By strange coincidence, I was at Maidenhead on 12th November 2011 for their 140th anniversary: a 1-1 draw in the the FA Cup against then Football League Aldershot Town.

On Saturday I will be going to an FA Cup 4th Qual round game somewhere in the south of England.

The reason I am going is because it is an FA Cup game of major historical importance.

What is the game? And what is the historic landmark?
I decided year's ago to just give up on your quiz's before I even open the thread ( if you done one on our last game I'd struggle haha but I do enjoy them and the many reply's ,just this once for a laff I going to have a go , Sheppey fc ,the fat ugly mermaid painted on the wall of arcades in Sheerness , game got bombed by ze Germans aiming for the Navy in Sheerness docks ,the navy were playing the web footed Sheppyites and lost the re played game . did I win ??? :bounce:

I decided year's ago to just give up on your quiz's before I even open the thread ( if you done one on our last game I'd struggle haha but I do enjoy them and the many reply's ,just this once for a laff I going to have a go , Sheppey fc ,the fat ugly mermaid painted on the wall of arcades in Sheerness , game got bombed by ze Germans aiming for the Navy in Sheerness docks ,the navy were playing the web footed Sheppyites and lost the re played game . did I win ??? :bounce:
No. But you'll doubtless be pleased to know we met Sheppey in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup in three consecutive seasons, 1895/96, 1896/97 and 1897/98.

We won twice and drew once. Our only defeat came in the last season we met them, an embarrassing 0-5 thumping on their island home.

Well done Bazz. You, too, Only. Great stuff!

The first-ever day of FA Cup football - and therefore organised competitive football in the world - took place on 11th November 1871.

Four teams played that day. The only ground still existing of the four venues is Maidenhead's York Road enclosure - now the stadium with the longest unbroken record of football with the same club in the world.

150 years later, Maidenhead are at home to Hastings Utd. The owner of Hastings happens to be one if my closest mates, so I'll be with them for the day.

By strange coincidence, I was at Maidenhead on 12th November 2011 for their 140th anniversary: a 1-1 draw in the the FA Cup against then Football League Aldershot Town.
Nice little write up on Hastings chairman on bbc sport this morning Whisky, couple mates should be playing ,Adams who is on his last season and pogue whos scored in the last 2 games

There’s only actually been 140 cup finals presumably because of WW1 & the replay in 1939. The oddity of anniversaries like this is that say for instance there’s been a competition that’s been going consecutively for a hundred years then the hundredth anniversary is actually the 101st edition of the competition. Mathematics does my head in!

There’s only actually been 140 cup finals presumably because of WW1 & the replay in 1939. The oddity of anniversaries like this is that say for instance there’s been a competition that’s been going consecutively for a hundred years then the hundredth anniversary is actually the 101st edition of the competition. Mathematics does my head in!
Simple really. It is 150 years since the competition began. A bit like having a 150th birthday. But not having a party at all of them.