expectations

Finding the general downbeat reaction to our transfer window a bit puzzling. We've bought Benik Afobe, who looks very good. J G Ballard or something from Arsenal who has been one of the best performers so far this season. We've tied up Scott Malone and brought in a decent new goalkeeper. Everybody was pleased with George Saville coming back (though he's done nowt so far). And now a pretty exciting young winger from Liverpool. Plus, as a bonus for many on here, Mahlon's gone. And Wallace has stayed! It seems to me the best transfer window I can remember for a very long time. What did people expect, exactly? Ronaldo and Mbappe?
Seeing as Messi was available on a free the club have clearly showed no ambition, Berylson out, Rowett out and fold the club🤣🤣🤣

Add to that we have won our last two games, scored 5 and conceded 2. We need to look up and be optimistic. We retained our best player by far, unloaded a player who was contentious to some, signed a lively, two footed, very mobile premier league winger and will soon have our captain and rock back at centre half plus our undisputed RB returning from injury.
As KJ said many times, judge us after we have played ten games

Defensively that should be our strength, given our style of play and formation and was an area we improved, yet we haven't kept one clean sheet yet, that's a concern.

Ojo may be a decent player, but calling him a premier league winger is a bit of a stretch.

Monkey unfortunately some people will whinge and moan whatever. They bang on about negativity, ironically, whilst demonstrating what they have learned in their Negativity for Negativity’s Sake PHD!

You only have to tune pre any match to see the same people c*nting off anyone employed by Millwall FC before they have even stepped on a blade of the hallowed turf! Then if we go a goal down it’s like Christmas! Funny thing is when we turn it around or start off well they start to disappear, until the heat has died down. Rinse repeat!

We all get frustrated, that’s what football does on occasions, but you dust yourself down and look to the next game. It’s as if some are only happy when we lose, perversely!

If it wasn’t for JB we probably wouldn’t have a club. Plenty would of cut and run by now. He hasn’t, he continued to put money in and managed it sensibly. Look at the state of some of the clubs around us financially, even with a far greater fan base.

COYL
Spot on. Great post

grammar-memes-2-imagine-a-perfect-world.jpg

Monkey unfortunately some people will whinge and moan whatever. They bang on about negativity, ironically, whilst demonstrating what they have learned in their Negativity for Negativity’s Sake PHD!

You only have to tune pre any match to see the same people c*nting off anyone employed by Millwall FC before they have even stepped on a blade of the hallowed turf! Then if we go a goal down it’s like Christmas! Funny thing is when we turn it around or start off well they start to disappear, until the heat has died down. Rinse repeat!

We all get frustrated, that’s what football does on occasions, but you dust yourself down and look to the next game. It’s as if some are only happy when we lose, perversely!

If it wasn’t for JB we probably wouldn’t have a club. Plenty would of cut and run by now. He hasn’t, he continued to put money in and managed it sensibly. Look at the state of some of the clubs around us financially, even with a far greater fan base.

COYL
Sorry Zampa, but some of your comments I strongly disagree with!

You say it’s like Christmas when the negativity brigade start after we go a goal down, but let’s take the home game against Blackpool, for me to make my point.

We’re at home, playing effectively a league 1 club that’s just been promoted, who have no star players compared to us, so what does Drawett do? Does he change the formation and set the players up to attack? No! He sets up his usual formation of 5 at the back, to deal with just their one forward!

Within 15 minutes, Blackpool are down to 10 men, but does Rowett change the system now to capitalise on the extra space vacated by their player? No! The players carry on as before, passing from side to side until one of them decides to hoof the ball up to Smith, with no end result whatsoever!

After the sending off, Drawett should have made changes there and then! The formation should have gone to 4-4-2, to stretch their players as wide as they could on the pitch, and put to good use the space left by the departing player. Mahoney should have been brought on to supply quality balls into the box, for Smith to get his head onto them! But none of this happened!

Instead, for the rest of the 1st half we played poorly, with our players not being able to make any telling pass count and half time arrived, with our players going off the pitch to the sound of their supporters booing and jeering them!

Drawett made no changes as the 2nd half began, and on 55 minutes, Blackpool went 1 up! Their midfielder went through our midfield as if it was us that were down to 10 men! It was only when we went 1 down, did Drawett finally change the formation! Mahoney came on at the expense of Billy Mitchell and we went to a back four. As soon as we did that, our movement and passing got better and we looked much more threatening! Surprise! Surprise!

We got the equalising goal from a free kick, converted by Jed. Now level, the players went for the winner, with Mahoney playing well down the left. His corner came back to Jed who floated a lovely ball into the box, where Cooper rose high above the Blackpool defenders to head home the winning goal!

What pisses us off Zampa, is that we only see the Millwall fighting spirit when we go 1 down, and this happens way too often! If it happened once in a blue moon, I think we’d accept it as being part of football. You win some, you lose some! Unfortunately, this keeps happening and it’s because of the way Drawett sets his team up to not concede, but the irony is, it’s his poor formations that make us go behind!

If he changes the formation to 4-4-2 to get us back in the game, he must be happy to give that formation a go, in the hope that it improves the situation! So why pick 4-4-2 over another formation? Because he knows it can be effective! If it’s effective and it turns the game round from a defeat to a win, then why not start with 4-4-2 and see if we can go 1 up first and win the game much more convincingly and much more comfortably?

The reason is that Drawett is stubborn. He thinks he’s never wrong with his formations and tactics until the opposition shows him he is wrong, as they go 1 up against us! Why doesn’t he learn? Because he’s not as good a manager as he thinks he is! Once he realises that, he will hopefully have the humility to admit his mistakes and try to correct them!

Until then, every game is going to be a case of rinse and repeat, with the team slipping down the league towards the trap door of relegation! The chairman will then have to make a decision: sacrifice the manager or sacrifice not staying in the Championship!

I think we all know which of the two sacrifices he will make!

Last edited:
Finding the general downbeat reaction to our transfer window a bit puzzling. We've bought Benik Afobe, who looks very good. J G Ballard or something from Arsenal who has been one of the best performers so far this season. We've tied up Scott Malone and brought in a decent new goalkeeper. Everybody was pleased with George Saville coming back (though he's done nowt so far). And now a pretty exciting young winger from Liverpool. Plus, as a bonus for many on here, Mahlon's gone. And Wallace has stayed! It seems to me the best transfer window I can remember for a very long time. What did people expect, exactly? Ronaldo and Mbappe?
Yeah ive been a bit surprised by the reaction tbh as well Mr m by some
I am quite happy, like the look of the boy we got from arsenal and like afobes attitude
its probably the build up of being locked up for so long ha and all thats gone with it .

Funny as im typing this had a pop up in my inbox(oohhh er mrs)
Mentions about the transfers close season and now via NAD incase nobody's seen it

COYL
I now sit near the dugout this season and the first thing I noticed is that Rowett is constantly urging the players to get it forward quickly only for them to pass it sideways or backwards, the negative play is not solely down to the manager and to his credit he does not blame anyone individually in his interviews, think the team has started with a bit of a confidence problem but when it clicks we are going to be one hell of a team!

Sorry Zappa, but some of your comments I strongly disagree with!

You say it’s like Christmas when the negativity brigade start after we go a goal down, but let’s take the home game against Blackpool, for me to make my point.

We’re at home, playing effectively a league 1 club that’s just been promoted, who have no star players compared to us, so what does Drawett do? Does he change the formation and set the players up to attack? No! He sets up his usual formation of 5 at the back, to deal with just their one forward!

Within 15 minutes, Blackpool are down to 10 men, but does Rowett change the system now to capitalise on the extra space vacated by their player? No! The players carry on as before, passing from side to side until one of them decides to hoof the ball up to Smith, with no end result whatsoever!

After the sending off, Drawett should have made changes there and then! The formation should have gone to 4-4-2, to stretch their players as wide as they could on the pitch, and put to good use the space left by the departing player. Mahoney should have been brought on to supply quality balls into the box, for Smith to get his head onto them! But none of this happened!

Instead, for the rest of the 1st half we played poorly, with our players not being able to make any telling pass count and half time arrived, with our players going off the pitch to the sound of their supporters booing and jeering them!

Drawett made no changes as the 2nd half began, and on 55 minutes, Blackpool went 1 up! Their midfielder went through our midfield as if it was us that were down to 10 men! It was only when we went 1 down, did Drawett finally change the formation! Mahoney came on at the expense of Billy Mitchell and we went to a back four. As soon as we did that, our movement and passing got better and we looked much more threatening! Surprise! Surprise!

We got the equalising goal from a free kick, converted by Jed. Now level, the players went for the winner, with Mahoney playing well down the left. His corner came back to Jed who floated a lovely ball into the box, where Cooper rose high above the Blackpool defenders to head home the winning goal!

What pisses us off Zampa, is that we only see the Millwall fighting spirit when we go 1 down, and this happens way too often! If it happened once in a blue moon, I think we’d accept it as being part of football. You win some, you lose some! Unfortunately, this keeps happening and it’s because of the way Drawett sets his team up to not concede, but the irony is, it’s his poor formations that make us go behind!

If he changes the formation to 4-4-2 to get us back in the game, he must be happy to give that formation a go, in the hope that it improves the situation! So why pick 4-4-2 over another formation? Because he knows it can be effective! If it’s effective and it turns the game round from a defeat to a win, then why not start with 4-4-2 and see if we can go 1 up first and win the game much more convincingly and much more comfortably?

The reason is that Drawett is stubborn. He thinks he’s never wrong with his formations and tactics until the opposition shows him he is wrong, as they go 1 up against us! Why doesn’t he learn? Because he’s not as good a manager as he thinks he is! Once he realises that, he will hopefully have the humility to admit his mistakes and try to correct them!

Until then, every game is going to be a case of rinse and repeat, with the team slipping down the league towards the trap door of relegation! The chairman will then have to make a decision: sacrifice the manager or sacrifice not staying in the Championship!

I’ll happily have a bet with you we won’t go down this season…..

Sorry Zappa, but some of your comments I strongly disagree with!

Totally agree - we have some very good players and silly nuts sets them up in a way they are not effective. If he has to change it to 442 nearly every match it surely means his bollox no proper wide men approach is wrong from the outset. As for preferring Murray as the central centre back on Saturday so Cooper has to try and do what Murray does easily in attack is just off the scale stupid.

Totally agree - we have some very good players and silly nuts sets them up in a way they are not effective. If he has to change it to 442 nearly every match it surely means his bollox no proper wide men approach is wrong from the outset. As for preferring Murray as the central centre back on Saturday so Cooper has to try and do what Murray does easily in attack is just off the scale stupid.
Silly nuts!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Firstly, I was delighted to read an article you wrote in the Spectator earlier this year where you wrote a somewhat disparaging obituary to Dame Shirley. In the context of this cutting , however thought provoking piece, you mentioned that the SDP was still alive and kicking. Will we see you standing for said party at an upcoming by election?
On more conventional matters for this board, fans are underwhelmed with the tactics and view the regressive five at the back detrimental to any potential attacking vigour this decent window could avail.

I’ll happily have a bet with you we won’t go down this season…..
I didn’t say we’d go down, I said “the team slipping down the league towards the trap door of relegation!”

That could mean hovering just above it or, worse case scenario, actually in the bottom three! Thankfully, looking at our last 10 games, we don’t have too bad a run in, but if things were different, and those last 10 games were against the likes of Fulham, West Brom etc. that’s when I think Berylson might start getting twitchy!

Don’t forget, when this regen is completed (whenever that’s going to be), Berylson is going to expect us to still be in the Championship, at the very least, with still a chance of getting promotion to the Prem. There would be no point in us having a revamped stadium fit for the Prem, if we’re playing in league 1 with 8,000 fans watching us!

Berylson has to protect his main interest, which is Millwall Football Club. I’m sure in the past, with his business dealings, he’s had to make tough, difficult decisions, so I don’t think sacking Drawett with ten games left would be a problem for him! If he could get in a manager that could change things round to keep us in the Championship and keep his dream alive, which is to have a great stadium fit for that league (or for the Prem if we get promotion), then he would do it!

Agree re: this window.

It’s a shit cliche, but I think Leonard coming back from injury could give Saville a kick up the arse and be like a new signing.

Bennett offers a lot and I am looking forward to getting him back.

Danny Mac’s return is desperately needed, Mitchell is wasted at full back.

And of course, the big man Hutch coming back will be vital. Cooper hasn’t been the same player without his partner next to him.

It’s not all doom and gloom, let’s just wait and see how this pans out…👍🏼