expectations

monkeymfc

Finding the general downbeat reaction to our transfer window a bit puzzling. We've bought Benik Afobe, who looks very good. J G Ballard or something from Arsenal who has been one of the best performers so far this season. We've tied up Scott Malone and brought in a decent new goalkeeper. Everybody was pleased with George Saville coming back (though he's done nowt so far). And now a pretty exciting young winger from Liverpool. Plus, as a bonus for many on here, Mahlon's gone. And Wallace has stayed! It seems to me the best transfer window I can remember for a very long time. What did people expect, exactly? Ronaldo and Mbappe?

Finding the general downbeat reaction to our transfer window a bit puzzling. We've bought Benik Afobe, who looks very good. J G Ballard or something from Arsenal who has been one of the best performers so far this season. We've tied up Scott Malone and brought in a decent new goalkeeper. Everybody was pleased with George Saville coming back (though he's done nowt so far). And now a pretty exciting young winger from Liverpool. Plus, as a bonus for many on here, Mahlon's gone. And Wallace has stayed! It seems to me the best transfer window I can remember for a very long time. What did people expect, exactly? Ronaldo and Mbappe?
Just keeping Jed makes it a successful window.

Add to that we have won our last two games, scored 5 and conceded 2. We need to look up and be optimistic. We retained our best player by far, unloaded a player who was contentious to some, signed a lively, two footed, very mobile premier league winger and will soon have our captain and rock back at centre half plus our undisputed RB returning from injury.
As KJ said many times, judge us after we have played ten games

Ojo, Jed & Mahony. 3 "Flair players" most teams in this division
would love to have.

If only we had a manager, who actually attacked, apart from
when we go a goal down!

Would love to see a bold manager in place with this squad!
Agree to a certain extent but be careful what you wish for. Holloway was probably seen as bold and we all know what happened there..

must admit reading the first thread, you can't deny on paper one of our better transfer windows for sure.

on paper agian, and injuries permitting, we have a stronger squad than lst year, so should have a better season

As long as we move the attack quickly I am happy. Versus Blackpool was much better and now another forward thinking footballer all the better.

I think its more how they are being used. A few games in and people are fed up with the style of football already.
He wont last if the negative style and lack of results continue.
When our manager was at Stoke, he was sacked just a few weeks after we lost there 1-0....making it a run of ten games undefeated.

If memory serves me correctly, after that run they were just on the cusp of a play off position. But the supporters were very restless: they simply didn't enjoy the football they were being served up. They found it far too negative, even though he had invested heavily in Afobe.

I think after the Millwall game they lost a Midlands derby to someone, and after a couple more defeats the fans turned on him and he was sacked.

At the time Stoke were comfortably mid-table, much nearer a play-off pace than relegation one.

But it was the ultra defensive football which alienated the fans that almost certainly led to his downfall, rather than results.

I'm just hoping history doesn't repeat itself at Millwall. Surely he will have learned from his previous experience.

So I think your point, coldblower, is spot on.

Monkey unfortunately some people will whinge and moan whatever. They bang on about negativity, ironically, whilst demonstrating what they have learned in their Negativity for Negativity’s Sake PHD!

You only have to tune pre any match to see the same people c*nting off anyone employed by Millwall FC before they have even stepped on a blade of the hallowed turf! Then if we go a goal down it’s like Christmas! Funny thing is when we turn it around or start off well they start to disappear, until the heat has died down. Rinse repeat!

We all get frustrated, that’s what football does on occasions, but you dust yourself down and look to the next game. It’s as if some are only happy when we lose, perversely!

If it wasn’t for JB we probably wouldn’t have a club. Plenty would of cut and run by now. He hasn’t, he continued to put money in and managed it sensibly. Look at the state of some of the clubs around us financially, even with a far greater fan base.

COYL

Recruitment wise we haven’t been the best in the division but their are far many that have been worse. QPR outside of the parachute payments win my prize for best transfer window, but any one of Reading, Derby, Swansea and Cardiff did worse than we did. Granted some were forced by historical madness and rule breaking, so got what they deserved.

In all honesty I don’t think you could actually say any of the signings were bad, Long, Malone, Ballard, Saville, Afobe and Ojo.

Equally rightly or wrongly we didn’t lose any of our assets, Wallace, Cooper, and I would put McNamara in that category.

With youngsters out on loan, Mitchell, Olaofe, Moss, Muller, Burey and O’Brien, these future assets should gain valuable experience and game time, possibly ready for the step up next season. This is vital because we have the oldest squad in the championship, well we did until Reading just signed a bunch of geriatric’s.

Am I slightly disappointed, possibly, but then I think about who we are missing, Hutch, Bennett, McNamara, and Leonard, which makes me think things will come good. On top of that we rarely start a season well no matter the team and god knows why.

With six games in four weeks before the next international break, I’ll reserve my judgement on Rowett until then.

COYL