Esse and Emakhu - good pre-season?

High Life Street 2.0

way out of the loop which is the norm for me pre season until a week before. i tend to turn a switch off after teh last game.

how have these two done? are they ready?

Just my opinion, but Esse looks ready to start games now. Emakhu is a frightening prospect coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes of games with his blistering pace. We have two very special talents on our hands.
I think both Esse and Emakhu could start games now!

The worry is, if they come on with 20 minutes to go, and we’re 1 down, looking to draw, or it’s 1-1 and we’re trying to get the winner, expectations from supporters will be high, hoping either player is going to produce a moment of magic that draws or wins the game!

If that doesn’t happen, or they squander chances, supporters will get on their back (as they did Burey last season), which won’t do anything for their confidence!

Personally, I’d rather either of them (or both together) start the game and go straight at the opposition from minute one, surprising them with their trickery and their pace! Perhaps either or both might tire after say, 75 minutes, but with their help (and goals) we might be 3-0 up by then and the game would effectively be over!

Esse definitely looks like he has the ability to start games now. Bulked up a bit by the looks of it too which should help him not get knocked off the ball to easy.
Emakhu looks raw with bags of pace and has the ability to be a real game changer.
Alex Mitchell also looked good and should be more than capable of providing cover.
Looking good for the youngsters coming through.

Esse should and deserves to start. Esse and Billy as the centre mids behind Flemming for me. Saville no longer has the legs for it in my opinion.
Alternatively, there is the option put either Esse or Watmore in a 10 if Flemming not producing. Both have looked good there.
Emakhu is the big bonus of the summer for me. Looks quick, strong and can finish.
Also, had no idea how quick Alex Mitchell is for a big lad.

Also, had no idea how quick Alex Mitchell is for a big lad.
Personally, I would prefer Mitchell to start over Hutch! Yes, he’s been a great servant to the club, but he’ll be 33 this November, and sadly he’s become more injury prone of late, and wasn’t the same player that he was last season, after he came back from injury to replace Cresswell!

I’m not saying bin him off, because I think he can still do a job for us if needed, but maybe as a sub, coming on with 20 minutes to go to strengthen the defence if we’re in the lead, but Mitchell is quick for a big lad and looks very comfortable and he is the future. Unfortunately, Hutch isn’t anymore!

Too many seem to think that Esse and Emakhu don't any defensive duties, yet for the last 7 seasons we have been a team where we defend from the front.
Manager has said this more than once, that they have a lot to learn, play those 2 up at Boro and those that want them to start will be wondering why we won't have the ball for 90 minutes.
They look good coming on when we are losing because it doesn't matter if we concede because we are already losing, they do have a lot of potential but have a long way to go before they are regular starters, just in the same way that some think playing well in an U23 final means they are good enough to play in the Championship, yet those who are paid to make that judgement means they are going out on loan.

Too many seem to think that Esse and Emakhu don't any defensive duties, yet for the last 7 seasons we have been a team where we defend from the front.
Manager has said this more than once, that they have a lot to learn, play those 2 up at Boro and those that want them to start will be wondering why we won't have the ball for 90 minutes.
They look good coming on when we are losing because it doesn't matter if we concede because we are already losing, they do have a lot of potential but have a long way to go before they are regular starters, just in the same way that some think playing well in an U23 final means they are good enough to play in the Championship, yet those who are paid to make that judgement means they are going out on loan.

Absolutely spot on. Esse is the one who for certain is knocking on the door of a first team starting place, not just because of his exceptional ability but also because of the excellent way his development has been handled by the management so far. As for the others there is of course a lot of potential but only time will tell how far they will go, I’ve genuinely lost count of the players over the years that according to the fans were world beaters before even playing a first team game.

I’ve genuinely lost count of the players over the years that according to the fans were world beaters before even playing a first team game.
Like Tyler Burey, perhaps? I'm really looking forward to seeing how these two work out and I'm really optimistic about Esse. By the sounds of it, they're really good prospects. But they're not tested yet. By all means they deserve their opportunity, but until we've seen them in the Championship, I wouldn't be writing Saville out of his position yet.

With 9, subs allowed both will get plenty of game time this season as will other youngsters. Football has been slowly changing over the past seasons to a more rugby style squad game during a match. Never has there been a better chance to blood more youngsters off the bench than now. Rare is it now to see a midfielder or attacker complete 90 minutes week in week out.

Keep it sensible GR with these youngsters as 46 games of football is a lot of time to get these youngsters game time minutes.

Some seem to forget how talented teams can be in this league. It’s generally a very fine line, if we started going balls out attacking every game then we’d be fighting relegation. Although not always pretty, and sometimes frustrating, Gazball has proved to work over the last few seasons. These two need easing in, if they step up and take the opportunities then I’d get the pox if they weren’t being picked.

Not sure about Emakhu defensively but Esse definitely puts his foot in...

Esse is a fringe championship player in an England squad full of Premier talent which shows how highly this kid is regarded, he now needs regular games at Championship level to develop his strength and tactical awareness, think this season will be a big one for him.