Edwards out - Harris in

The players have to take a lot of the stick for getting us into this situation, I've heard the 'don't understand tactics' excuse from U18's and its just an excuse for thinking it's ok just to go through the motions rather than run your nuts off, there pro footballers the second goal at Cov showed either how slow Cooper is or how little he wanted to catch the player same for other goals conceded (not just Coops) gutted for JE as hoped it was a new direction but the system required 3 ball playing defenders to me we had 1 in Joe Bryon - bringing Bomber back in will hopefully bring the desire wtf do we know as long as it works
It wasn't that they din't understand the tactics, it was that they wasn't working often enough and it seemed to look like they were told to keep at it rather than give them a plan B.

Can't believe how it went downhill so quickly. From the Middlesbrough game on the 13th January to the Sheffield game on the 17th February. We're talking little over a month. It seems the players just stopped playing for him. I think that most supporters up until the QPR game ( not even 1 month ago) viewed the Edwards reign as a success. Not all but most. I've read comments today from other fans stating that the players weren't understanding the tactics but apart from the Ipswich and Coventry games back in November it seemed that they were. For the most part we looked relatively solid. The players need to take a long hard look at themselves because for me they've put us in this situation. I remember going for a coffee at half time against boro thinking we looked a decent outfit and should have been 2-0 or 3-0 up. From that moment onwards the players just seemed to 'give up'.

Anyway good luck Neil Harris..

Although never a member of either the 'Rowett Out' brigade, or part of the Edwards fan club, a month ago my view was, let's see where we are in September/ October and decide whether we are happy with the way things are going then.

However, as you rightly say, the pace and extent of decline was alarming. The fact that Edwards clearly had no idea how to stop things getting even worse was clear for all to see, and imo meant that there was no option but to sack him.

We can but hope that Harris is the right call but I've got my doubts.

I noticed very clearly a really big difference in the demeanour of Joe and Neil when being interviewed by Millwall TV. I don’t think I ever saw Joe smile even when we had played well and won. Sadly there weren’t too many of those games! I recall reading on here that even when we won away at Hillsborough in Joe’s first game somebody commented that even when the fourth goal went in that Joe stood by the dugout and was as cool as a cucumber…or words to that effect.
Contrast that with Neil yesterday who was beaming from ear to ear about returning to the club he loves. Facial expressions and smiles can make such a difference and breed positivity in a conversation. I spent nearly 40 years as a teacher in a couple of tough south east London schools and I am convinced that you can achieve so much more with smiles and positivity. Neil was the epitome of that yesterday. I was touched this morning to read of his pledge to JB that he would always answer an SOS call from the club.

You have my complete backing Neil and I just hope that it works out well for all of us who love Millwall like you do.

100% of me thinks it’s a bad idea. I’m devastated. We are now down. It’s not blood and guts required, it’s tactical nouse, which bomber hasn’t - IMO.

I hope I’m wrong, but this feels like a poorly thought out appointment. I’d rather the club brought in experienced people to help Joe, rather than give Harris the reigns. Tell me what back room staff Harris can bring - other than a backward sidewards Livermore. I’m fckin fuming!
If we did go down it would be fucking fighting under Super Neil! 👊 COYLS!

Makes sense to me!

Harris will be familiar with a number of the squad. He signed Bartosz Bialkowski, Shaun Hutchinson, Jake Cooper, Murray Wallace, Ryan Leonard, George Saville and Tom Bradshaw. Harris also brought through Danny McNamara and Billy Mitchell, giving a debut to the latter.

Harris said: “I’ve watched this group develop over a period of time. A lot of the players I signed personally. I know we’ve moved on a few years since then but I know the mentality and capability of those individuals, what they can and can’t do, and it’s down to me to get the best out of them like I did previously. 👍

Watching the interview Harris gave and the amount of times he said the words "leading" "leadership" "lead" makes me think that was one of the many issues with Edwards.

I know there are some who think Edwards was taken out of context when he made the "it's a grind" comments but if you are the main man at the club you cannot say things like that. You just can't. What message does that send to the players, staff and fans?

I noticed very clearly a really big difference in the demeanour of Joe and Neil when being interviewed by Millwall TV. I don’t think I ever saw Joe smile even when we had played well and won. Sadly there weren’t too many of those games! I recall reading on here that even when we won away at Hillsborough in Joe’s first game somebody commented that even when the fourth goal went in that Joe stood by the dugout and was as cool as a cucumber…or words to that effect.
Contrast that with Neil yesterday who was beaming from ear to ear about returning to the club he loves. Facial expressions and smiles can make such a difference and breed positivity in a conversation. I spent nearly 40 years as a teacher in a couple of tough south east London schools and I am convinced that you can achieve so much more with smiles and positivity. Neil was the epitome of that yesterday. I was touched this morning to read of his pledge to JB that he would always answer an SOS call from the club.

You have my complete backing Neil and I just hope that it works out well for all of us who love Millwall like you do.

Great post Silver.

Brilliant post

I imagine quite a bit has gone on behind the scenes prior to today.
The drop off in performances in a sharp space of time tells me something went wrong in the dressing room.

After the 3 wins on the bump, even the Leicester game in the cup we all looked to be up for it. Completely fell off a cliff after that.

Players calling their own meetings tells a story in itself.

Perhaps Bomber is what’s needed to knit it back together.

Watching the interview Harris gave and the amount of times he said the words "leading" "leadership" "lead" makes me think that was one of the many issues with Edwards.

I know there are some who think Edwards was taken out of context when he made the "it's a grind" comments but if you are the main man at the club you cannot say things like that. You just can't. What message does that send to the players, staff and fans?
The message I got when he said it’s a grind was this…
1. I do not look forward to coming to work at the moment.
2. I’m really struggling to get my message across.
3. I don’t have the faintest idea how to make it better, so that I don’t feel it’s a grind.

If the boss isn’t fired up with enthusiasm, that spreads like wildfire through any team of workers, not just a football team.

Ffs, it took 25 years for me to think my job was a grind. Not 25 minutes. In fact my initial training course was longer than Joe was at Millwall.
Youngsters eh?

I think the reason for the 18 month contract might be that Aldridge will now have 3 windows to clear out and bring in younger, quicker players before they then go for the pretty football route again. They've realised that the players can't compete playing that way under Edwards, so will take time to rebuild with NH keeping us up before appointing a pretty football manager again. Bit like Palace with Hodgson.

I was against Edwards appointment from the start simply because he had absolutely zero experience of managing a football club or any adult footballers. But I never shouted abuse or booed him and always hoped I would be proven wrong.

I wanted him out, and when Bomber was appointed I was underwhelmed to say the least. But, having thought about it non-stop since his appointment I'm now quite happy with it and fair play to our legend for taking the task on with us. He is Millwall through and through, and he is obviously motivated beyond belief to do well and turn the shit-show that was Jedward around to keep us up. Thinking about it there's probably no-one better to bring in at this moment.

Hats off to ya Bomber (or Rolf as Cambridge fans referred to our man!) and we are 100% behind you geezer.

COYL!!!

I think the reason for the 18 month contract might be that Aldridge will now have 3 windows to clear out and bring in younger, quicker players before they then go for the pretty football route again. They've realised that the players can't compete playing that way under Edwards, so will take time to rebuild with NH keeping us up before appointing a pretty football manager again. Bit like Palace with Hodgson.
Interesting theory but do we think that far in advance? 🤔

I was against Edwards appointment from the start simply because he had absolutely zero experience of managing a football club or any adult footballers. But I never shouted abuse or booed him and always hoped I would be proven wrong.

I wanted him out, and when Bomber was appointed I was underwhelmed to say the least. But, having thought about it non-stop since his appointment I'm now quite happy with it and fair play to our legend for taking the task on with us. He is Millwall through and through, and he is obviously motivated beyond belief to do well and turn the shit-show that was Jedward around to keep us up. Thinking about it there's probably no-one better to bring in at this moment.

Hats off to ya Bomber (or Rolf as Cambridge fans referred to our man!) and we are 100% behind you geezer.

COYL!!!
Rolf? 🤷‍♂️

Go back and watch some of the tippy happy, we'd play ten iffy passes around our box then hoof it or lose it. I didn't get what was exciting over Edwards style.
Some of my mates were saying that we played good football under him... I just didn't see it. I thought that most of it was utter shit.
But then again I don't enjoy watching the keeper play it short to the centre half and then the team knock a series of short passes around not really getting anywhere near the opposition's box.
I have no problem with a direct style; I like seeing the ball delivered into the box early and a physical battle - to me that can be good football and exciting. I certainly like physicality in the game. "Put it in the mixer" as Fash would say.