Coventry V The mighty Lions------ Sunday 12pm

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Coventry is the second largest city in the west midlands after Birmingham. A cathedral citty and absolute dump founded in the middle ages. It was formed in 1883 and named singers FC after a meeting in the city's Singers gentlemans club. It changed to it's current name 1898 and joined the southern league. They were eventually selected into the football league in 1919. Coventry's only period in the top division lasted 34 consecutive years between 1967 and 2001. There only major trophy is the fa cup, that came after beating Spurs 3-2 in 1987.

For 106 years, from 1899 to 2005, Coventry City played at Highfield road. The 32,609-capacity Coventry arena was opened in August 2005 to replace Highfield Road, but the club has struggled with the new stadium lease since moving. Highfield road was converted to an all seater stadium in 1981 under the chairmanship of Jimmy Hill. It was the first all seater stadium in England.

A very tough trip to a side with only one home defeat this season- West brom- 2-0. They put 3 past Leicester during there last home win and can score for fun if allowed to. Laying 7th in the league and only 2 defeats in 15 both home and away. We will need to be at our very best to get anything from this game. Both their midfield and forwards chip in with goals. Wright their forward is top scorer on 8. It isn't a bad hunting ground for us. We've won on 3 of our last 7 visits

Team news- Emakhu and Leonard have both trained this week. Longman is out with a shoulder injury.

Safe journey to all our loyal Lions making the journey!! 817 of them so i'm told.

Coyl

Last edited:
Hate them with a passion. Pulled a serious cunt stunt in '86 when I was there with United. About 30 onto 4. Worst I've experienced and that's saying something. Then when I went looking for them with wall for revenge in 2002 got attacked by other wall thinking we were them😂 You can only laugh.

Hate them with a passion. Pulled a serious cunt stunt in '86 when I was there with United. About 30 onto 4. Worst I've experienced and that's saying something. Then when I went looking for them with wall for revenge in 2002 got attacked by other wall thinking we were them😂 You can only laugh.
86 to 2002 - you’ve got a long memory mate! 😉 Look forward to catching up with you at the Ipswich game. 👍

Or is it?
It keeps Birmingham below us and right in the mix as well
Exactly what I thought. Wednesday will pick up the odd result but should still be down there come the end of the season. Last nights result keeps another team between us and them

Never been to Highfield Rd or their 'new' place, but did go to Coventry during my raving/clubbing days to watch/listen to my mate DJ up there, he was headlining @ The Eclipse Club which was the first legal all-night club in the UK in October 1990...It was rough up there, even in the club the locals were eyeballing us, not sure if it was we went up there as a coach full!.

FA Cup 1977 was a bit tasty, small groups running amok everywhere
Coventry along with Leicester’s old gaff filbert street was two grounds where away support shared the same end as home fans.

Was at that FA cup game, lively day. Some Wall got in their bit. Underpasses outside their ground easy to swerve plod. Lost on pitch, won off it.

They were old first division then think we were third. Never, ever in our league off the pitch and they know it.

Exactly what I thought. Wednesday will pick up the odd result but should still be down there come the end of the season. Last nights result keeps another team between us and them
Stats from last night suggests Wednesday had luck on their side and will struggle to get out of the relegation zone, so Birmingham getting beat was, arguably, the best result for us.

IMG_1018.png

Everyone always looking for the negatives.
It basically says we only had one shot on target so we are shit. Completely ignoring the fact that Hull only had two on target, including the goal we came from a handball and shouldn't have counted. So why doesn't it say Hull also tipped for misery?

Stats from last night suggests Wednesday had luck on their side and will struggle to get out of the relegation zone, so Birmingham getting beat was, arguably, the best result for us.

View attachment 25149
Would settle for 2 or 3 of these lucky results right now, and taking 2 out of 3 chances created .
Let's hope the boys do that tomorrow.