Cardiff V Wall match thread

From what I saw, the players all seem to want an extra touch before they shoot, either foot, except when Nisbet took his shot first time from a wonderful cross (from Leonard I think). I can only assume they want the perfect chance and are frightened to miss.
Shot-shy. Basic Instincs look to have been coached out of them. No Confidence. Hardly tried to test their GK.
The need for an attacking coach is becoming ever more urgent.

Ok here goes, my take on where we're at. Disagree, cunt me off, whatever. I really don't give a fuck. After 55 years of following Millwall, I've seen and heard everything there is anyway.
Anyway, this side has been struggling since about February, not just this season or since Edwards took over. I can actually see what Edwards is trying to do. It's not quite clicking yet but there are signs there. It's not gonna change overnight. After 4 years of being told to defend deep for 90 minutes and hope we nick a set piece and now being told to defend high up and be in the front foot, that's a hell of a change and will take time. I really do think some on here are going overboard on the last few games.
Ok, Sheffield Wed's all went to plan but they were really poor anyway.
Coventry we dominated early on and were on top, couldn't find the final ball and got done on the break and then heads drop like 'here we go again'. This us nothing new under Edwards though. Exactly the same happened under Rowett v Leeds, and v Swansea.
Then came Ipswich. Ipswich have done that to nearly every team this season. They are averaging 3 goals per game at home. But even in that game a lot of the problems we're nothing to do with formations or styles of play, just simply players out or form or not picking up the oppo, leaving them free on the edge of the box.
Sunderland we should have won. Bart didn't have a save to make. We had all the best chances in the game. They got their goal, personally I did think it was a pen, after a spell where they just threw everything forward. After that we dominated again.
Cardiff, again gave them nothing. Their first shot on target was something like the 64th minute. The goal came from 4 defenders and a keeper all not doing their jobs. The defenders have to make that harder for their player but Sarkic was just badly out of position. With 4 players on the 6 yard line he has to be on the goal line, not virtually underneath them. He can't come for the ball there so stay on your line. He did neither and ended up getting done. Again, nothing to do with formations or styles, simply poor defending. No, we didn't create as much going forward in this one but even then Cardiff have been fairly good at home and we made them look poor too. At times I think we just overplayed it a bit around their box. Should have had a point at least.
I can see what Edwards is trying to do and some of it is already much better but it will take some time to get right, but I do think it will turn for us. I still believe a lot of this is the hangover from the end of last season disappointment. As I said earlier, we've been pretty poor since February so it's not an Edwards thing.
Anyway, like it, don't like it, couldn't give a shit but that my take on it.

Ok here goes, my take on where we're at. Disagree, cunt me off, whatever. I really don't give a fuck. After 55 years of following Millwall, I've seen and heard everything there is anyway.
Anyway, this side has been struggling since about February, not just this season or since Edwards took over. I can actually see what Edwards is trying to do. It's not quite clicking yet but there are signs there. It's not gonna change overnight. After 4 years of being told to defend deep for 90 minutes and hope we nick a set piece and now being told to defend high up and be in the front foot, that's a hell of a change and will take time. I really do think some on here are going overboard on the last few games.
Coventry we dominated early on and were on top, couldn't find the final ball and got done on the break and then heads drop like 'here we go again'. This us nothing new under Edwards though. Exactly the same happened under Rowett v Leeds, and v Swansea.
Then came Ipswich. Ipswich have done that to nearly every team this season. They are averaging 3 goals per game at home. But even in that game a lot of the problems we're nothing to do with formations or styles of play, just simply players out or form or not picking up the oppo, leaving them free on the edge of the box.
Sunderland we should have won. Bart didn't have a save to make. We had all the best chances in the game. They got their goal, personally I did think it was a pen, after a spell where they just threw everything forward. After that we dominated again.
Cardiff, again gave them nothing. Their first shot on target was something like the 64th minute. The goal came from 4 defenders and a keeper all not doing their jobs. The defenders have to make that harder for their player but Sarkic was just badly out of position. With 4 players on the 6 yard line he has to be on the goal line, not virtually underneath them. He can't come for the ball there so stay on your line. He did neither and ended up getting done. Again, nothing to do with formations or styles, simply poor defending. No, we didn't create as much going forward in this one but even then Cardiff have been fairly good at home and we made them look poor too. At times I think we just overplayed it a bit around their box. Should have had a point at least.
I can see what Edwards is trying to do and some of it is already much better but it will take some time to get right, but I do think it will turn for us. I still believe a lot of this is the hangover from the end of last season disappointment. As I said earlier, we've been pretty poor since February so it's not an Edwards thing.
Spot on. Apart from the bit about Sunderland’s penalty 😉

Can someone please direct this man to the correct messageboad, there's too much sense spoken in one post to belong on here.

That about sums it up, although I think the dip in form started when Creswell got injured. Up until then we looked like a proper decent outfit that defended very well. My take is; we have had an awful lot of injuries since Creswell got injured and really haven't had a settled side. Add to that, one or two players are really out of form. Because of all the upheaval, players are being played out of position. I'm not sure anyone really knows what our strongest starting eleven is at the moment (including Edwards).

Perfect summary, Oh Wise One.

Can someone please direct this man to the correct messageboad, there's too much sense spoken in one post to belong on here.
Nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve when it comes to Millwall. Suspect the silent majority are right behind your words. Question is, what happened in Feb. or whenever, to bring about the slump you identified? Injuries, team selection, tactical tweeks? Who knows

This man has clearly been watching the football and has some very valid opinions. Can he please be banned as we normally except hysterics and slagging off of the current thing . Not the Mill wall forum i know.

Seems to be a lot of sense being talked here...so I'll put an end to that :grinning:

In my opinion our problems revolve around Flemming and his drop in form. We need a player to make things happen going forward. We had Jed for that in the old days. Flemming was doing that role for a while but is now just treading water. Currently the only players being creative are BNC, and Casper on occasion.

We also need to sit down and sort out how we are going to score. And by that I mean by headers, tap ins, long shots etc. Pointless doing high crosses into the box as our strikers are not good in the air. Rab has got where he is by being good around the 6 yard box, so find a way to get the ball there on the ground.

I know it's easy to sit online and come up with this genius advice but at the end of the day we are not playing to our strengths.

Personally I do think we are getting to play in a more entertaining way and with time results will follow. Hopefully that will happen in this division.

Question is, what happened in Feb. or whenever, to bring about the slump you identified? Injuries, team selection, tactical tweeks?
I don't know. To me, as a guess, it seemed to stem from the back to back Sheff Utd/Burnley home games which we actually got 4 points from. But you can't possibly keep up the levels they had to produce for those games. You could regularly see the players were at times out on their feet. It's much harder work without the ball than it is with it. When you spend virtually a whole match on the back foot defending, backs to the wall, it is tough. I think with the many injuries and suspensions, thin squad etc, it just then took it's toll. Bradshaw and many other were carrying injuries but still having to play 90 minutes. It's the mental fatigue too. We just ran out of steam. Then with the disappointment on the final day, and then the dreadful summer with JB, is anyone really surprised. I did say at the the start of the season, all things considered with the passing of JB, this season doesn't really matter much. I want us to do well, I certainly don't want us relegated but I just think it will take some time to get fully back on track. Whether it comes quick enough to keep us above the bottom 3 remains to be seen though.

I'm afraid this is far too level-headed, sensible and incredibly well thought out for my liking. I propose an immediate two month ban.

Everything @Poplar Lion has said is totally correct. I can't argue with any of his points. I would also like to add that the desperately sad and sudden passing of the chairman has undoubtedly affected everyone at the club, players, staff and fans included.

Last edited:
Enjoy yourself Mark, I'm as fortunate as you, I'm off out as well so don't have to put myself through any torture tonight.
You should be forced to watch the full match tomorrow night, as live without knowing the result beforehand.
Why should the rest of us suffer and you two get off Scott free?
Bloody flimsy excuses. Who has a birthday on a Wednesday?🤪🤪🤪🤪

Just about sums it all up. One thing i think runs deeper than just Rowett is the team under Harris were drilled to defend first and foremost and to defend deep. We were also over reliant on Jed to make things happen. It worked most of the time. There was a saying- stop Jed and you stop us. Not sure there was ever a plan B or enough creative types when an alternative was needed. Some players hardly had to think or play nothing more than the restrictive roles that were given to them. The team were trained and set up to play to there strengths. Anything more expansive and i think we'd have been exposed over and over again. Makes me think of the successful Stoke and Bolton sides under Alladyce and Pullis. Turgid on the eye but effective.

This is a very tough and competetive division. You need fast and technically sound players. Two or three in an entire team will be of little use. The all bollock and bite philosophy gets you little reward now. Got to hope that either we have players that can adapt or we get some in during the next window that can. If we can i think we'll be more than capable of another comfortable finish.

Last edited: