Benik Afobe

Essentially along the lines of Rowett not being backed with 3 transfers he wanted to make in this window, for one reason or another. Supposedly had a fall out over it with the board and has had enough. Allegedly applied for the vacant Sunderland job (not the first time in his career he’s applied for a job there, he also was heavily tipped in 2019 after leaving Stoke).

Re Burke, I couldn’t agree more.
Silver has twice said “he had his moments” He made three good runs last night and sent over a couple of crosses but:
He looks completely disinterested when he hasn’t got the ball, points to someone else when Danny tries to take a throw in, so far he’s probably got the worst body language of a player I’ve ever seen, ok, he might be unfit but at the moment I’ve got him down as a wage thief (& I really hope I’m proved wrong)
Think you are mate 🤔

The board not backing him is as good as a fuck off in football terms.
Whilst I don't think he has done a bad job, a new contract could cost us a lot of money, we have room for several new signings this summer and if it doesn't work out in the first half of next season and he is sacked, you are possibly left with 4-5 players on 3 year contracts that a new manager doesn't want, given him a new contract could be a 10m gamble.

There was no reason not to back him though, really. He’s had no money from the start and had to rely on fishing around in the lost property bin to piece together a competitive championship side. He’s spent £500k on Evans, £300k on Kieftenbeld, and I think Malone and Bennett were freebies and the rest have been loans?
That's a good way of describing it and it's the reason why, whatever we think about him, Rowett will probably get a new managerial position fairly easy - he will be seen as a safe pair of hands who kept Millwall in the Championship on a shoestring.
The question is how much The board of JB should be putting in to the club.

A bit out of date but some of the bigger clubs seem to be actually making a profit on transfers. So is the problem not lack of spending but not enough being put into developing youth teams?

So is the problem not lack of spending but not enough being put into developing youth teams?
My understanding of the malaise between the board and Rowett is his form for buying players of a certain age group. There's supposed to be a new direction that the club want folllow, that's recruiting much younger talent form the lower leagues, from abroad and bringing through our own youth.

My understanding of the malaise between the board and Rowett is his form for buying players of a certain age group. There's supposed to be a new direction that the club want folllow, that's recruiting much younger talent form the lower leagues, from abroad and bringing through our own youth.
But it’s like you’ve said previously, Peckham, there’s no guarantee that a player from leagues 1 or 2 can make the step up to the Championship, and hit the ground running once they come to play for us!

There will be clubs in those leagues, many with low home support, who have probably been hit the hardest due to Covid keeping supporters away, so as soon as a Championship club like us comes sniffing round one of their midfielders or forwards, those clubs are going to want top dollar for them!

Lower league clubs have got wise to this. Long gone are the days when you can get a decent player for a few hundred grand! With many of our players out of contract this summer, and loanees going back to their parent clubs, how many new permanently signed players do we need? Three? Four? More than that? Whatever the number, it is going to cost JB a pretty penny when you take into consideration transfer fees and weekly salaries that will have to be paid to get these players, with no guarantee that any of them will make the grade!

That’s why I think Rowett should focus on bringing in more youth players. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper, and if they do well in the 1st team (as Danny and Billy have), then stick em on long contracts so the club isn’t caught up in another Jed type fiasco!

That’s why I think Rowett should focus on bringing in more youth players. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper, and if they do well in the 1st team (as Danny and Billy have), then stick em on long contracts so the club isn’t caught up in another Jed type fiasco!
The club are and will be focusing on what you rightly say. As for Jed i don;t think they could do any more than they did by offering him a new and improved offer quite some time ago. Player power will always prevail. He was never going to sign, for several reasons, so the club are powerless. As for us cashing in when the window was open, i think JB just wouldn't blink, why should he when he don't need the peanuts on offer if that was ever the case. No one knows if Forest did make a bid, i have my doubts, they don;t need Jed and have sold better than him this window.

But it’s like you’ve said previously, Peckham, there’s no guarantee that a player from leagues 1 or 2 can make the step up to the Championship, and hit the ground running once they come to play for us!

There will be clubs in those leagues, many with low home support, who have probably been hit the hardest due to Covid keeping supporters away, so as soon as a Championship club like us comes sniffing round one of their midfielders or forwards, those clubs are going to want top dollar for them!

Lower league clubs have got wise to this. Long gone are the days when you can get a decent player for a few hundred grand! With many of our players out of contract this summer, and loanees going back to their parent clubs, how many new permanently signed players do we need? Three? Four? More than that? Whatever the number, it is going to cost JB a pretty penny when you take into consideration transfer fees and weekly salaries that will have to be paid to get these players, with no guarantee that any of them will make the grade!

Another issue, as has been said before, is that the Premier League club buy too many players and then warehouse them by loaning them out. Most of them will probably never play for thier parent club but there's obviously some financial reason for keeping them instead of just selling them on. But it all means that there aren't be as many players around for Championship clubs to buy.
At the end of the day, though, buying younger players(or developing our own) are probably the only options that we have to bring in a bit of talent. Not saying it's easy and it would obviously need money put into training and scouting but it's been done by other clubs.

it would obviously need money put into training and scouting but it's been done by other clubs.
The new training ground is a step in the right direction, as is the use of tech based profiling of players. The new head of Recruitment that came to us also knows his stuff, both in british players and from abroad. It;s a positive move when you think we employed a so called scout that previously wrote articles for News at Den. He hasn't done Stoke any good!

Arguably, we’ve needed to remodel our transfer policy since Bombers second Championship summer window - we went from picking up young rough diamonds in Cooper, Saville, Jed and Romeo to signing the likes of Tom Elliott, Skalak, Karacan…

The only realistic way for our club to start improving its revenue is to start picking up these diamonds in the rough again. Sales on the level of Saville (£8m), we could have cashed in on Cooper, Jed and Romeo at different points in time for sizeable fees, etc.

The new training ground is a step in the right direction, as is the use of tech based profiling of players. The new head of Recruitment that came to us also knows his stuff, both in british players and from abroad. It;s a positive move when you think we employed a so called scout that previously wrote articles for News at Den. He hasn't done Stoke any good!
What evidence have we seen of Harvey Bussell’s abilities since he arrived Peckham?