The saints V The sinners- match thread.

Ah diddums - he didn’t like our tackles .
Southampton manager Russell Martin told BBC Radio Solent:

"I am furious at the manner of the goals we've conceded. Some of the stuff was good but we have given a team something to hang on to again. It's ridiculous.

"I think it's the softest free-kick in the world for the first one. Two of their tackles were a disgrace but I am not going to blame the referee - we didn't do enough to get back in the game and win.

"We have to stop conceding first. We had a mountain to climb to get into the game. Second half, we have a few big chances but we don't score - if we get the goal I think we go on to win it."
Wanker wanker wanker

Edwards was trying to bring in a more 'modern' possession based style of football; unfortunately, bad luck, injuries, poor refeering and the limited technical ability of our players turned that idea into a clusterf*ck.

I think we all saw that he's not a motivator of players. This 'cerebral' approach is all well and good when you're winning and you can stay motionless in the dugout. However, he was obviously unable to connect with our players and get them playing as a team - perhaps if he'd dropped the stat-based shit, and started encouraging them to play for the club he'd have won more?
Edwards is a coach. Harris is a leader. Anyone can learn to be a good coach with the right tutor and dedication. Not everyone can be a leader of men.

Exactly. I bet he made it clear what he expects (and what we expect) of each player. They also know that NH will back them 100% if they, in turn, give 100%. NH was always big on doing the simple things well. We've tried to 'change the way we play' with JE and it was a disaster, although not all of it was his fault. Apart from the muggy c*nts, I think most of us will be happier with how NH's team are going to be playing.
This. I think that Joe didn’t get the full force of stick, unlike the likes of Hollowhead and even abject failures like Spacko. I brought into his ideas, lots of us did- the Board and NorwichLion especially.

Even when it was clear Joe was fucked, the jury was mostly out as we hoped for better times, and there was signs of that- apart from not being able to defend and score goals.

A quick glance at their forum and saw this

What 'noise' is Taylor referring to in his post-match interview?
"Some of the noise that's going on has been ridiculous and you've just got to block it out"

3 hours ago, Badger said:
Anyone offer any explanation on this, or where it has come from ?
“noise”, nothing to do with dissatisfaction over two piss poor results and performances you’d hope.
It was a continuous humming / droning noise coming from the away fans clearly designed to piss us off...it f*ckin worked. It even drowned out the Saints fans when we started up

If the game wasn't bad enough, that was the cherry on the top!

Not only did this person think their player was affected by crowd noise but thought that getting behind your team was only done to irritate the home fans, all very strange.

enjoyed this from their forum...

Anyone offer any explanation on this, or where it has come from ?
“noise”, nothing to do with dissatisfaction over two piss poor results and performances you’d hope.
It was a continuous humming / droning noise coming from the away fans clearly designed to piss us off...it f*ckin worked. It even drowned out the Saints fans when we started up".

well done to all who travelled, now lets do the same in our Den.

This. I think that Joe didn’t get the full force of stick, unlike the likes of Hollowhead and even abject failures like Spacko. I brought into his ideas, lots of us did- the Board and NorwichLion especially.

Even when it was clear Joe was fucked, the jury was mostly out as we hoped for better times, and there was signs of that- apart from not being able to defend and score goals.

He also seems to be a nice bloke!

However, the conundrum that Edwards and the 'entertainment brigade' will have to solve is a difficult one. Playing more open attacking football always means the oppo create more chances. Given that most teams in the league have better strikers than we do the results are predictable.

Hopefully Harris II will be a good compromise between the naivety of Edwards and the pragmatism of Rowett. In other words, we'll try and play attacking football, but in the oppo third, rather than across our own penalty box!

You now gonna believe this geezer, I was there for that game coz I was down there on business and those of who wNted to go were goven tickets. I remember Eric Gates scored a blinder to open the scoring and my recollection is that Southampton won 4-3 🍻
Ha ha ha! No way? I don't suppose you remember any Japanese birds cheering every fucking goal? 🤣
I remember that they just didn't get the 'tribal' aspect. I'm pretty sure we took them in the first place because one of them was doing her dissertation on the societal impact of football or something....but it was a long time ago

A quick glance at their forum and saw this

It was a continuous humming / droning noise coming from the away fans clearly designed to piss us off...it f*ckin worked. It even drowned out the Saints fans when we started up

If the game wasn't bad enough, that was the cherry on the top!

Not only did this person think their player was affected by crowd noise but thought that getting behind your team was only done to irritate the home fans, all very strange.
'humming' - absolute fucking classic! "I say Cecil, I wish those ghastly Millwall people would cease with their beastly humming."

Ha ha ha! No way? I don't suppose you remember any Japanese birds cheering every fucking goal? 🤣
I remember that they just didn't get the 'tribal' aspect. I'm pretty sure we took them in the first place because one of them was doing her dissertation on the societal impact of football or something....but it was a long time ago
I only know what they sound like in bed geez. Slightly higher pitched than the Chinese girls, but lower pitched than the Filipinos - from my time living in Hong Kong 🇭🇰 😅

He also seems to be a nice bloke!

However, the conundrum that Edwards and the 'entertainment brigade' will have to solve is a difficult one. Playing more open attacking football always means the oppo create more chances. Given that most teams in the league have better strikers than we do the results are predictable.

Hopefully Harris II will be a good compromise between the naivety of Edwards and the pragmatism of Rowett. In other words, we'll try and play attacking football, but in the oppo third, rather than across our own penalty box!

Yet yesterday when we set out to be defensive we still had Saville make it into the opposition penalty box on our first counter attack, look at the penalty, we had 5 players in the box and Saville on the edge of it, that just never happened under Edwards..

Yet yesterday when we set out to be defensive we still had Saville make it into the opposition penalty box on our first counter attack, look at the penalty, we had 5 players in the box and Saville on the edge of it, that just never happened under Edwards..
I noticed how we surged forward when on the counter. Lots of players, and so quick that we caught them off guard.

Did Edward’s have the right ideas, and did Neil come in and tweak it a bit to enable us to defend after we took a lead.

Exactly 👍